Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger’s how do I hate thee?

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
Let me count the ways. Olive oil you say? Sure right with the other oils. No, nor in the Italian, salad dressing or condiments. In with the spices. That’s logical. Gluten free crackers for company? Surely in the health food section with all the gluten free items. No. Well then the specialty items. No. Crackers. No. Cookies. Stupid me I should have looked there first. 

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    The produce is always 3 days past its prime as well.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Their meat is terrible. 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    I wouldn’t touch it on a bet. And gal was right about their produce, except for their sweet potatoes, they’re spectacular. Also good with their avocados. 
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Y'all certainly have a different experience with your Kroger stores.  I love ours from the craft beer bar, to the meats and produce.  My go to store.
    Carrollton, Va
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Our Kroger sucks 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Chief9 said:
    Y'all certainly have a different experience with your Kroger stores.  I love ours from the craft beer bar, to the meats and produce.  My go to store.
    We have 3 Krogers in our area. One is the pits, the second is clearly much better. The third one is where we buy 80% of our food except for meat. This one also carries Boar's Head products and Murray's cheese products, while the other two do not or on a drastically smaller selection. It also has a nice wine, liquor and beer selection. Competition is what I would call fierce between three grocery chains.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Their meat is terrible. 
    I just bought two briskets at my local Kroger. Couldn’t pass them up @ $2 / # on sale. I can use them for chili and such if nothing else. 

I have few choices in our crappy area, but the produce and meat is better than average in ours. Nothing close to spectacular, but adequate. 

Definately different experience depending on the store. Could be that I am conditioned to accept mediocre due to my lack of options. Lol.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They’ve closed them all around Durham.  We’re left to slum it at Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, and Sprouts.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We have two Kroger’s, a food city with another slated to open soon and three Walmart’s.  Whoohoo.  We do have plenty of Hispanic markets, so there’s that. 
  • RRP
    Options
    They’ve closed them all around Durham.  We’re left to slum it at Harris Teeter, Fresh Market, and Sprouts.
    Our Fresh Market closed this year. Cool store and all that, but only rich old blue haired ladies in their furs shopped there. Their prices were so stupidly over priced it was silly! The only reason I ever went there was for jars of Tillen Farms pickled classic asparagus spears.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Seafood is very good at Fresh Market. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Seafood is very good at Fresh Market. 
    I would love that. It is nonexistent at our Kroger. At least it is as far as I’m concerned as I don’t like being sick. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Our only liquor store is in the dreaded Kroger too.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    We have 3 Krogers in our area. One is the pits, the second is clearly much better. The third one is where we buy 80% of our food except for meat. This one also carries Boar's Head products and Murray's cheese products, while the other two do not or on a drastically smaller selection. It also has a nice wine, liquor and beer selection. Competition is what I would call fierce between three grocery chains.
    I forgot to add that within the last 18 months that Kroger closed 2 stores in our area leaving just the three I mentioned. The reason for closure AND I can testify to this fact for at least one of them - the shoplifting meant more went out the door than went in the cash register. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    I forgot to add that within the last 18 months that Kroger closed 2 stores in our area leaving just the three I mentioned. The reason for closure AND I can testify to this fact for at least one of them - the shoplifting meant more went out the door than went in the cash register. 
    You guys have stores where rich people shop in furs and others shut down due to shoplifting? All in the greater Peoria area? I need to get out more. 
    The bullsh!t is strong on this one.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    edited November 2018
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    You guys have stores where rich people shop in furs and others shut down due to shoplifting? All in the greater Peoria area? I need to get out more. 
    Huh? I never even mentioned that 2 Cub stores from Chicago folded years ago!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    Jeez Ron what kind of hellscape did you retire in man?
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I loved the Kroger near our place north of Houston when we lived there, granted HEB was my favorite. 
    We have Smith's (A Kroger brand store) which is decent. Produce is pretty good, meat is alright and selection is good. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Kroger and HEB are equidistant from the house. I prefer Kroger for:

- peppers. They usually stock about 4x the variety that HEB has. 
    - it’s on the way home from work. 
    - their plastic bags are the right size for proofing bread dough in. 
    - raw chix breast already vac sealed. Ready for SV. Yes, I’m lazy. 
    - a Kroger near work has a Murray’s in it. Their burrata mozz is the 2nd best that I can get locally, for 1/3rd the driving time. 

HEB is the better store overall though, and that’s where I usually shop. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Our Kroger is fine. I don't have any problem with the meat (mostly just chuck roasts and ground round) that I've bought. I prefer Harris Teeter (which is owned by Kroger) because they were here before Kroger but either is fine.
    I have no idea what their shoplifting losses are like tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    RRP said:
    dmchicago said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    Huh? I never even mentioned that 2 Cub stores from Chicago folded years ago!
    I live in Austin. Home of HEB ans Central Market.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    LOL - back when I was in my last position I personally took our weekly deposits to 3 institutions. They always amounted to no less than $200K to an occasional $1.2 million.  Had any of the scumm had any idea of the cash portion in those deposits I'm sure I would have been robbed, beaten or simply killed and I am not exaggerating. One year some little sh*t riding a bike keyed 5 of our trunks. After that I bought a Ford pick up and never had another incident in 11 years.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Me, not too long ago, to a guy stocking shelves at our Kroger: Where would I find Cracker Jack? It's not with the popcorn.
    Him: Aisle 14; that's where the crackers are.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Chief9 said:
    LOL - back when I was in my last position I personally took our weekly deposits to 3 institutions. They always amounted to no less than $200K to an occasional $1.2 million.  Had any of the scumm had any idea of the cash portion in those deposits I'm sure I would have been robbed, beaten or simply killed and I am not exaggerating. One year some little sh*t riding a bike keyed 5 of our trunks. After that I bought a Ford pick up and never had another incident in 11 years.
    Man you dodged a bullet there!
  • RRP
    Options
    Me, not too long ago, to a guy stocking shelves at our Kroger: Where would I find Cracker Jack? It's not with the popcorn.
    Him: Aisle 14; that's where the crackers are.
    For some time now I have used a different approach which has proven to humor even the most sour grocery store employee. I merely approach one and say..."OK -I give up...where are you hiding the XXXXX now?" It always brings a smile to their face and they help me!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    When it comes to horrible layout...Costco is the winner. Where the f*** is the bread??? It’s right over there next to the tires. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    When it comes to horrible layout...Costco is the winner. Where the f*** is the bread??? It’s right over there next to the tires. 
    That way you buy tires too :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2018
    Options
    RRP said:
    Our Fresh Market closed this year. Cool store and all that, but only rich old blue haired ladies in their furs shopped there. Their prices were so stupidly over priced it was silly! The only reason I ever went there was for jars of Tillen Farms pickled classic asparagus spears.

The Fresh Market will always have a special place in my heart just b/c it was the first high-end grocer in our area back in the day. The classical music they play when you walk in still puts me in a good mood.  Gotta grab that tiny cup of fresh brewed coffee before I begin browsing the isles. I certainly wouldn't go there to stock up on dry goods, but for high quality imported Italian pastas, cured meats, cheeses etc it's pretty solid and much better than what you'll find at Costco. Their meat counter is also better than Whole Foods, at least in my area.

I do 90% of my shopping at Publix and other 10% divided up between Costco, Whole Foods and Fresh Market.  Around here Kroger, even the nice Supercenters, are not much better than Walmart one you get to the meat counter and see mostly saline "enhanced" stickers on everything.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave