Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who thinks using a controller is cheating?

BriStarkey
BriStarkey Posts: 15
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
I do!

LBGE bought used & one new MBGE, Weber Kettle. Looftlighter, Kick Ash Basket,

East Nasvhille

Comments

• I liken it to cruise control on a vehicle.
    Gittin' there...
  • I wouldn't say its cheating. I don't really have trouble maintaining a temp of 250 for my low and slows with just the vent and the daisy. For that reason I don't have a use for one. But cheating? I would say its cheating more so on a WSM that can't maintain temps without constant fidgeting due to lack of insulation.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking said:
    The real question is... Why would anyone care  if anyone else thinks using a controller is cheating?
    Good point. I don't really care if some want to use one. For me, I don't have a need. Others have said before they don't like the idea of waking up over night so they use this as a crutch to get some Zzzz's. To each their own.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Some would say anything other than cooking over a live wood fire is cheating. Who really needs a $1000 flower pot to cook in? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    caliking said:
    The real question is... Why would anyone care if anyone else thinks using a controller is cheating?
    This.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Nah, cheating is hiring someone to cook on your BGE for you.  I don’t use one but with two young kids I may just get one for longer cooks.  Is using a remote thermometer to alert you when temps get away from your set min/max cheating?  Where is the line drawn?  The BGE is so dang easy to use some may say using it at all is cheating!  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Who are you cheating? I've never been clear on the entry details. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I would use my egg more if I had one
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I like cheating. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited November 2018
    Jesu. It’s not a friggin game or contest. I guess it’s manly to get up 2-3 times overnight to check on a cook. I’ve got better things to do. Like sleep. The idea is to produce great chow, not flex your muscles. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited November 2018
    I assume these are cheating as well. 

• I multi-task (play golf while food is cooking), so it’s nice to be able to run the controller from my golf cart!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    I think it’s totally cheating until I buy one. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    However you get the outcome you want is what counts.  Your food $$, your time, your process/level of effort and your method of cranking out the groceries.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    If you are not cheating, you are not trying ..... wait, remind what the game and prize is again.  My goal is good food, everything else is a tool to accomplish that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I've cooked many years without a controller, and had wonderful results.  I recently added SMOBOTs to my arsenal, and glad to have them.  I look at it this way, I can use a hammer or a nail gun to build a fence, and both will get the job done.  It's another tool in the box that may not be totally necessary, but sometimes the convenience factor is nice to have!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • I would hate to add up how much I have spent on "cheating accessories" since joining this forum...
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    If you're that uptight about it, you should consider using a BGE for L&S cheating too. Use a stick burner for authentic L&S
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Life Rule #1: Spend your money like it's your own.

Life Rule #2: See Rule #1.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    If using a controller is cheating then using an egg is cheating. You should cook everything over an open fire in the back yard.
  • I gotta say, I love my controller. I set several boston butts cooking around 11PM...sleep nice and comfy. My phone alarms if temp of BGE gets too high, or if the meat gets too close to finish temp. It's not about cheating, its about efficient use of time...and I love my sleep. 
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,251
    edited November 2018
    I don’t think think using a controller is cheating; it’s just that I don’t see the advantage. I like to have to check in on temps. It gives me the excuse to check in on my cook.

A big part of evaluating your cook is visual, tactile, auditory, gustatory and olfactory - none of which I can evaluate if I delegate oversight to a machine.

Personally, I actually far prefer checking in on pit temps manually and meat temps with a instant read thermometer because this doesn’t rob me of my ability to gauge the cook with the above. When I check in on the pit and open the lid to take a reading of the cook, I am automatically prompted to use my senses. 

• Hold up: there are rules?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    It’s not cheating. Some folks don’t feel the need to use one. I like using mine. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    buzd504 said:
    I'm just too lazy to use a controller.
    This is me. I know how to use the Egg now, buying and learning how to use some new technology sounds like hard work!
  • Does this have something to do with the forum points?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    buzd504 said:
    I'm just too lazy to use a controller.
    This