Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - "Survey Sez!" - OT

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,432
Whilst recovering at home from the dressing-down by General Anesthesia this afternoon, the phone rang.  Guy asked me if I had some time to do a political survey, and for once I did.  Not the best-written questions for a "verbal" survey, like "what are the top 3 reasons for not voting libertarian out of the following 8:  blabla, bla bla bla, etc.  I answered as best I could.  It soon became apparent that this survey was written by/for the republicans, to see why some wouldn't vote for them, and perhaps modify their platform.  
At the end of the survey I was asked to elaborate on one question, and I said, "Sir, believe it or not I'm a registered republican, voted for Reagan and the first Bush, and I hope all my answers give you republicans something to chew on.  This IS a survey being conducted by the republicans, yes?"  He told me he worked for an independent survey company, and that he was never told who paid for any given survey.  That I found pretty interesting, at least someone is trying to get some unbiased information; good on them.
I'm also surprised about the number of phone solicitations I received this election cycle: three.  There were some dial-tones on my answering machine over the past month, so that may've been a few more, but just not much activity at all.  A friend of mine in Georgia got 15 (which she hung up on) in a three-minute period!! (must've been suppertime).  Utard is one of the top-red states in the nation (its either us or Wyoming) so maybe they're concentrating on "fertile ground".  
Hope most of you voted :tongue: and have a fun-filled evening!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i stopped answering the phone between 5 and 6 pm a month ago, ive never had that many calls. theres no reason to call a republican in massachusetts during midterms =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    i stopped answering the phone between 5 and 6 pm a month ago, ive never had that many calls. theres no reason to call a republican in massachusetts during midterms =)
    Weird tho that Mass has a Republican Governor - what's that all about?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    edited November 2018
    HeavyG said:
    Weird tho that Mass has a Republican Governor - what's that all about?
    rino governor, avoided talking about warren the whole campaign  and did not back the republican running against her. only republican on the ticket i did not vote for. mass almost always votes for a republican governor and democrat mayors
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Before I got the Robokiller app I never answered a call that wasn't in my address book. At home our landline is hooked directly to the answering machine, no ring.
  • Landline, answering machine? what the heck are those?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Landline, answering machine? what the heck are those?
    That's the communications technology of the future...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    the landline is new technology that keeps one from wandering to far away from the beer fridge. 
    fukahwee maine

• GrillSgt
    It’s the bundle baby. 
  • fishlessman
    darn geeks changed the landlines from copper to fiber optics, now when the power goes out you lose the phone as well. bunch of boneheads
    fukahwee maine

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    lousubcap said:just
    That's the communications technology of the future...

My house doesn't have a single phone jack.  I might be in trouble once this future tech comes into play.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    darn geeks changed the landlines from copper to fiber optics, now when the power goes out you lose the phone as well. bunch of boneheads
    If you have a UPS for the "network box" it will provide power for x number of hours so you can still make phone calls.
    When I switched to FIOS I had no choice but to switch my landline to the fiber connection also. Wasn't thrilled about that but hey...I still have my cell phone as backup. :)
    Wondering what the data shows as to the age threshold for homes that still use landlines. I'm in the 60+ bracket and all my friends are too and we all still have landlines.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:
    If you have a UPS for the "network box" it will provide power for x number of hours so you can still make phone calls.
    When I switched to FIOS I had no choice but to switch my landline to the fiber connection also. Wasn't thrilled about that but hey...I still have my cell phone as backup. :)
    Wondering what the data shows as to the age threshold for homes that still use landlines. I'm in the 60+ bracket and all my friends are too and we all still have landlines.
    i get about 20 minutes in an outage before it runs outa juice.  i have 2 shops about 500 yards from each other, separate buildings. ones copper, the others fiber now, cant transfer lines, page etc  cell phones dont work in one building and the high frequency generated from my work distorts all this new technology, im buying old phones off ebay
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Bunch of Amateurs. The way you handle this is when they call, you answer. Then once they start asking questions tell them to hold on you will be right back. Set the phone down and go do something. Come back 5min later and if they are still there say a sentence or 2 then tell them to hold on again. Come back 5min later and if they are still there ,rinse and repeat. They will get the idea eventually except they will be the ones on hold for 15-20min. Works every time for me. Either that or start a conversation about clipping your toenails or changing your colostomy bags. Adopting fake accents is also fun.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    Bunch of Amateurs. The way you handle this is when they call, you answer. Then once they start asking questions tell them to hold on you will be right back. Set the phone down and go do something. Come back 5min later and if they are still there say a sentence or 2 then tell them to hold on again. Come back 5min later and if they are still there ,rinse and repeat. They will get the idea eventually except they will be the ones on hold for 15-20min. Works every time for me. Either that or start a conversation about clipping your toenails or changing your colostomy bags. Adopting fake accents is also fun.
    they will just sell your name and number to 10 other calling groups to pester you ;)
    fukahwee maine

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited November 2018
    they will just sell your name and number to 10 other calling groups to pester you ;)
    And that's when the real fun begins.....Suddenly I feel as though I suffer from tourette's...

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    And that's when the real fun begins.....Suddenly I feel as though I suffer from tourette's...
    as i type this theres one on my phone on caller id ringing away LOL
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    The calls have gone way down since Tues but I have had 4 today.  It has been several years since one was answered but they are friggin persistent. 
    Best one I have had was when my land-line got a call from my spoofed cell phone.  Both phones were next to each other and it was before any day drinkin had begun. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bunch of Amateurs. The way you handle this is when they call, you answer. Then once they start asking questions tell them to hold on you will be right back. Set the phone down and go do something. Come back 5min later and if they are still there say a sentence or 2 then tell them to hold on again. Come back 5min later and if they are still there ,rinse and repeat. They will get the idea eventually except they will be the ones on hold for 15-20min. Works every time for me. Either that or start a conversation about clipping your toenails or changing your colostomy bags. Adopting fake accents is also fun.

I haven't noticed that yet, hold on i'm getting a cal......

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Damn you guys, you turn my carefully-honed political bait into a treatise on electronic communications.  
    I'm done here, Peace Out!!  

:tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Too honed.  Be more aggressive 
  • On your next forum.  Bye bye. 
  • GrillSgt
    99% are recordings. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited November 2018
    GrillSgt said:
    99% are recordings. 
    Ohhh that’s why they didn’t answer back......

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What?!  My vehicle's factory warranty is about to run out?!  How did you know?

(I have only bought used cars with no warranty for the past 27 years)...
    When I’m in the mood to answer one of these calls, I usually go with heavy breathing , no words, or “what are you wearing right now??” Sometimes both, if I’m really bored. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    theres a handyman recording i get once a month, no idea how long the recording is as it always fills the machine.  carpet steaming, deck cleaning, power wash driveway cleaning and sealing, fence repair, fence painting, window installs chimney sweeping....it goes on and on

ive recorded it and passed it along =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    atleast the random email spam isnt that bad, as of right now i have 73,503 un opened emails in my acct =)
    fukahwee maine

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I had DSL a while back, so I had a landline with an answering machine. When I went to cable (way higher speed!) I got rid of the landline. I have a Google Voice number that I give out freely, and hardly ever check.

My cell phone is set to no default ring, and all my contacts have a custom ringtone. If my phone rings, I know it is someone in my contact list. Anyone else, every few days I go in and block any number that has called.

Lots of people I know have been getting calls that leave a voicemail in Chinese or some Oriental language. Those are annoying.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    When a human calls I like to ask for his/her full name and social security number so I can report him/her to the FCC because we are on the no call list.  That usually ends the call pretty quickly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
    Someone needs to get the Trumpster fired up over these robo calls. Surely that would get bipartisan support.