Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Tuesday: Anyone Planning on Cooking Anything for the Big Battle?

Options

I hope all of my friends here have prepared for this coming Tuesday night. This battle between good and evil only comes around every couple of years, and emotions tend to run high because so many of us have so much invested in it. It feels like there's quite a bit at stake, even though many times it doesn't turn out to be the case later on.

At this point most of us are on one "side" or the other. There aren't really any people left in the middle of this battle. It's hard not to pick a side.  We feel like one of the teams is ours, and there's an "us vs them" mentality. Words are often exchanged with people on the other side that can be pretty vicious, and there's obviously a lot of history behind all of this.

When it's over, one side will be exuberant and relieved while the other will be disappointed. I would just ask my friends to be gracious in victory when the other side is sulking in defeat.

Now I know many of you feel like I'm pretty biased when it comes to all of this, and I admit that it's true.  But I'd just ask you to put yourself in my shoes.  Think about where I live and work, and imagine what it's like to be surrounded by people who pretty much fall on the same side of this.  It can be tough to be objective.  

Anyway... I'm planning on cooking some wings, although it promises to be a pretty late night for those of us who will be following every small victory in this battle of two perennial heavyweights.  After all, the Duke-Kentucky game doesn't start until 9:30pm EST.

GO DUKE!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'll be watching from Monroe, LA.  Go Duke!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Crow is is going to be common if not popular. Raised direct with hot spicy rubs?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I was wondering what was happening on Tuesday.  Glad I read the whole thing. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Smash burgers... Being a Hoosier I'm obviously rooting on Duke 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Being old, I am a precinct worker that day.  So, I'm not cooking anything since the polls must be open at 6 AM (EST).   I get all the high drama on both sides of the aisle but the immediate short term relief from the political ads is what I am looking forward to.
    Let's face it, the outcome will lead to bragging rights for the winners and all kinds of hand-wringing for the losers.  But in the end, the pendulum of democracy swings slowly about the center regardless of where we land.  Always has and hopefully always will. 
    Hope for a great ball game that night!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I just gained a ton of respect for you John. As far as what I’m cooking, dunno I let the bosses of the house dictate that to me.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I just gained a ton of respect for you John. As far as what I’m cooking, dunno I let the bosses of the house dictate that to me.
    Always a good plan!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Dinner will be pho but I won't be making that as Tuesday nights we always go out to support one of our neighborhood cookeries and this week the spouse wants to go down the block to the pho place.

For the main event I'll be making Jiffypop...lots of Jiffypop. And margaritas.
    I usually don't hit the hay until oh-dark-thirty anyway so I'll be up in case the main event goes into overtime.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bump
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A bit surprised to have not heard from @YukonRon on this existential matter...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    FVCK you and Dook.  Enjoy the azz woopin (I hope!).  This will be fun.  And it’s not existential  =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I didn’t realize it was basketball season. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I’ll check the score Wed morning. Or maybe not.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Starts tomorrow!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Great way to start!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    For opening night that double-header Tues will definitely suck some eyeballs away from the MSM election coverage.  Hopefully more entertaining than the talking MSM heads. 
    But the friggin robo calls will be finished-so that's a plus regardless of the programming. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Starts tomorrow!
    Oh Geez. Please start a OT basketball thread so you trash talkers can congregate together. Lol. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For opening night that double-header Tues will definitely suck some eyeballs away from the MSM election coverage.  Hopefully more entertaining than the talking MSM heads. 
    But the friggin robo calls will be finished-so that's a plus regardless of the programming. 
    We have somehow avoided the robo-calls, although we do get calls from various charities and political groups.  Our approach of late is to ask them to take our number off their list.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Starts tomorrow!
    Oh Geez. Please start a OT basketball thread so you trash talkers can congregate together. Lol. 
    I’ll post a thread for every one of America’s team games.  Happy now ;)
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I’ve been getting robo text messages - it’s so annoying.  Do they really think people will base their vote or show up to vote because of a text?? 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina - truth be told I have not answered a call in several years where my neanderthal machine has been unable to give me a name I recall. Just this evening-post 6:30 PM within the space of 15 minutes I had five "unavailable" calls.  The daily norm over the past few weeks has been at least 10-12 calls per day as recorded by the hang-up on the answering machine. 
    Free at last come Tuesday PM!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I had a guy install an answering machine that doesn’t ring, so there is no call to answer. What you need to do is tell all your doctors that you no longer have a home number and give them the cell #. If you tell them to use your cell the default is always home. Additionally Robokiller is a great app for stopping robo calls to your cell phone. $3.99 month. Hate paying for it but not as much as I hate those calls. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We will be watching  for the first look at the best Freshmen in the country.  I have wings drying in the fridge as we speak.  All that being said I remember when Lefty Driesell was asked about UNC vs Duke "I hope they both lose". 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    We will be watching  for the first look at the best Freshmen in the country.  I have wings drying in the fridge as we speak.  All that being said I remember when Lefty Driesell was asked about UNC vs Duke "I hope they both lose". 
    Go Cats!  This is certainly a preview.  You guys are second tier.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options

I hope all of my friends here have prepared for this coming Tuesday night. This battle between good and evil only comes around every couple of years, and emotions tend to run high because so many of us have so much invested in it. It feels like there's quite a bit at stake, even though many times it doesn't turn out to be the case later on.

At this point most of us are on one "side" or the other. There aren't really any people left in the middle of this battle. It's hard not to pick a side.  We feel like one of the teams is ours, and there's an "us vs them" mentality. Words are often exchanged with people on the other side that can be pretty vicious, and there's obviously a lot of history behind all of this.

When it's over, one side will be exuberant and relieved while the other will be disappointed. I would just ask my friends to be gracious in victory when the other side is sulking in defeat.

Now I know many of you feel like I'm pretty biased when it comes to all of this, and I admit that it's true.  But I'd just ask you to put yourself in my shoes.  Think about where I live and work, and imagine what it's like to be surrounded by people who pretty much fall on the same side of this.  It can be tough to be objective.  

Anyway... I'm planning on cooking some wings, although it promises to be a pretty late night for those of us who will be following every small victory in this battle of two perennial heavyweights.  After all, the Duke-Kentucky game doesn't start until 9:30pm EST.

GO DUKE!

Yes, you had me for about three paragraphs  ;)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bucky925 said:

GO DUKE!

Yes, you had me for about three paragraphs  ;)
    John’s full of **** on a good day.  Never go 3 paragraphs in.  Go Cats!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I would appreciate the Cliff’s notes. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    I would appreciate the Cliff’s notes. 
    Cats and devils hate each other because they tend to beat each other when it counts.  And millions of dollars ride on the game.  Cats 8 championships, puke 6.  Schooled.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Cough cough.. At least Duke has integrity.. Cough cough.  =)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!