Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too Early to Talk Turkey?

Options
I was really fortunate that SWMBO got me an XL for my birthday this year.  I really enjoy cooking for the family and getting all the compliments.  For the last 15 years I have been using Alton Brown's Roast Turkey recipe, and received tons of compliments.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe-1950271

However, I would like to try cooking the turkey on the BGE this year.  I looked at the Mad Max method and while it looks great and easy enough, it seems that the highlight of the whole thing is the gravy.  I like gravy, but I don't want to rely on it to carry the main dish.

I am happy to have somebody tell me why I am wrong, and share their tips/tricks/upgrades to cooking Turkey on the BGE.
XL BGE 
Saints fan stuck in Dallas

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I used to do Mad Max turkey recipe. Excellent recipe but I switched over to Mickeys Coffee Rub for the bird a few years ago. I haven't looked back. Easy with great flavor
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Amazing Ribs has a good recipe:

I recommend spatchcocking the turkey. It will cook much faster and turn out very moist.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You can use Alton's recipe on your egg.  You just couldn't start at 500 then dial back to 350.  Just try running it at 375 until up to your desired IT.  You can ice down the breasts for 20 minutes prior to cooking to help even out the cook.  Orient the legs to the back of the egg.  It'll be excellent.  
    It's also tough to be a spatchcocked bird.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    As with most things you can go with something simple or more complicated. I'm not cooking for a crowd or too concerned about presentation, so a spatchcocked turkey with Mickey's coffee rub is our go-to. If you're doing table carving, though, the bird looks like an assault victim from Law and Order SVU.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    As you can see, no loss of options for your cook.  You can come at it in about any style you want and will yield great results.  Try the search function here for lots of threads/posts but the broad category of methods have been highlighted above.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I used to do Mad Max turkey recipe. Excellent recipe but I switched over to Mickeys Coffee Rub for the bird a few years ago. I haven't looked back. Easy with great flavor
    They have a Mad Max rub now @ dizzy pig. It’s like a bite full of turkey and dressing all packed in one bite. Worth a try for a change of pace if you’re inclined 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    "Too Early To Talk Turkey" Never. I love it, and it could eat it weekly. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have not tried this recipe/approach by Matt Pittman (aka @MeatChurch), but I spotted it last year and it looks pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljR0agk2DZU

And yes the first couple of minutes are a YETI commercial but I'd just ignore those details to focus on the process/results.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I might have to try the meat church recipe minus the Yeti’s. Looks good. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    They have a Mad Max rub now @ dizzy pig. It’s like a bite full of turkey and dressing all packed in one bite. Worth a try for a change of pace if you’re inclined 
    I noticed that. His original recipe used to list the spices but has since changed when Mad Max rub was introduced. I can't argue with that. I've never met Mad Max but have only heard great things about him. He even gave out his number at one point to answer any questions you had on your Mad Max turkey on Thanksgiving. Stand up guy. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Komokaegger
    Options
    I did a 22 pound bird using the BGE rack. I had brined it over night prior to cooking. Bird was stuffed loosely with veggies only. Cooked at 275ish which took 12 minutes per pound. I had iced the breast down for 30 minutes before hand. 
    We found the underside dark meat was a bit rare. I think next time I’m going to start the bird bottom up and flip it half way through. 
    All in all the meat was delicious and moist   Made great gravy as well
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155/160 and thigh @ 165.

Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.

Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I used Mickey’s rub and spatchcock method last year. It was very well received. I had mixed up near a quart of the rub and gave the leftover rub to my former boss. Then I made a second recipe worth of the rub and gave it to my aunt who had just received an XL. She had been eating my Egg cooking for years.