Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Conveggtor

Bwill
Bwill Posts: 102
Well my conveggtor finally broke.  Seems like it is always just a matter of time.  Anyway, I am trying to figure out what to replace it with.  It has been a while since I researched various rigs.  I know there are cast iron conveggtors.  Looking for suggestions on a replacement.  

Comments

• Bwill
    Just saw this went to the Pork forum.  Hoping a mod can move it.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    How old is it? 
  • Bwill
    About 7 years.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Cut the legs off and now you have a pizza stone.  Use a CGS woo or a smokeware raiser and you're back in business.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If you find yourself liberated from the platesetter then give this site a look:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  Many ways to get your indirect set-up and rigs to go vertical with ease.  No clue regarding your sized BGE.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bwill
    Cut the legs off and now you have a pizza stone.  Use a CGS woo or a smokeware raiser and you're back in business.  

Pretty much broke down the middle.  It's no good at all.  
  • Bwill
    lousubcap said:
    If you find yourself liberated from the platesetter then give this site a look:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  Many ways to get your indirect set-up and rigs to go vertical with ease.  No clue regarding your sized BGE.  FWIW-
    I have a large.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited October 2018
    Bwill said:

Cut the legs off......Half stones and it will still work with the smokeware raiser if it's the triangular one.  Can do half direct and half indirect too.

If it's not right down the middle, take the big side and cut it down.  Then you have one half stone for divided cooks and get a full stone for the rest.
  • Bwill
    Bwill said:

Cut the legs off......Half stones and it will still work with the smokeware raiser if it's the triangular one.  Can do half direct and half indirect too.

If it's not right down the middle, take the big side and cut it down.  Then you have one half stone for divided cooks and get a full stone for the rest.
    Hmmmm….I may have to take a closer look at it.  Something would certainly be better than nothing.  How do you cut ceramic though?  I do not have a tile saw.  I would think that would be ideal.
  • stlcharcoal
    Bwill said:
    Bwill said:

Hmmmm….I may have to take a closer look at it.  Something would certainly be better than nothing.  How do you cut ceramic though?  I do not have a tile saw.  I would think that would be ideal.
    Angle grinder with a ceramic blade.  You can score it, then pop it off, or just cut through the whole thing.  I have an angle grinder I used to have for cutting those first few stainless steel fire grates, then I just bought a $5 pack of ceramic wheels from Harbor Freight to salvage a PS once.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I cut the remaining 2 legs off mine and made a Pizza stone, works for me
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Because I switched over to the PS Woo system and use the 1/2 stones my conveggtor has been siting in my gas grill for so long it was covered in mold.  Threw it in the egg last night post cook to try and cook some of it off.  I should likely just put it in the garage since I hardly ever use it.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.