Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT? Aldis

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    Aldi St. Louis ribs I cooked Sunday.
    On sale for $1.48 pound.

Really good but I did rinse them and pat dry before seasoning.
    @Photo_Egg I saw those the other day, but didn't buy any. May have to reconsider - those look great and it's probably been a couple of years since I've had any ribs!
    I tried their BB ribs several weeks ago and they were not as good.
    rinse them good and pat dry will take away some of the extra salt. I over seasoned mine so they were still to salty but that was my fault.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    Aldi St. Louis ribs I cooked Sunday.
    On sale for $1.48 pound.

Really good but I did rinse them and pat dry before seasoning.
    @Photo_Egg I saw those the other day, but didn't buy any. May have to reconsider - those look great and it's probably been a couple of years since I've had any ribs!
    Also picked up a bag of Honey Crisp apples, a cantaloupe and some organic bananas.
    half the price of local big chain store.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Had their St Louis ribs yesterday, and they were fine.  Tried their skirt steaks a while back and that was a never-again experience!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    It does bug me that they will be demolishing ten acres that may be wetlands. When a mile down the same road is the vacant Delchamps building.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    It does bug me that they will be demolishing ten acres that may be wetlands. When a mile down the same road is the vacant Delchamps building.

I see all the time around here buildings that are only a few years old be demolished only to have a new building covering the same footprint be rebuilt back on top. Granted that's slightly different than what you are saying but my point is you can't rationalize this stuff.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Aldis has some nice products by all accounts. It isn’t my cup of tea. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    My biggest gripe with Aldi is not enough cashiers. There is usually only one and the store is packed with customers. I have left without purchasing several times because of this. It shouldn’t take longer to check out than it does to shop.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Interesting. I ALWAYS get in and out of Aldi's in record time. No matter how many people are ahead of me. The cashiers are amazingly fast! And if the lines start to get backed up, another cashier always seems to magically appear!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I have beef with Aldi’s. Went in one for the first time last month. Was unimpressed across the board. 

They wanted a quarter to borrow a shopping cart.  What is that $hit!?!  I didn’t have a quarter on me so I went in and ultimately didn’t buy anything over the fact that I didn’t have a cart!

Do I need to be a certified BGE carrying card member to let them know I’m not going to turn their buggy into a makeshift grill?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Good Lord. If you ask nicely, someone will donate their cart if you don't have a quarter. But seriously... who doesn't always have a quarter?!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Good Lord. If you ask nicely, someone will donate their cart if you don't have a quarter. But seriously... who doesn't always have a quarter?!
    I rarely take my coin purse with me anymore. LOL! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have beef with Aldi’s. Went in one for the first time last month. Was unimpressed across the board. 

They wanted a quarter to borrow a shopping cart.  What is that $hit!?!  I didn’t have a quarter on me so I went in and ultimately didn’t buy anything over the fact that I didn’t have a cart!

Do I need to be a certified BGE carrying card member to let them know I’m not going to turn their buggy into a makeshift grill?
    You should pan-handle the quarter.  HAVE YOU SHAME!?

Second world problems...sheesh.
    PS, no one gets me, but that's by design.
    Yeah, having a quarter on hand can sometimes be a hassle. I've had folks swap nickles and dimes w. me. But that little bit does mostly insure the carts get put back, so the store doesn't have to collect them, or have them stolen.

A different store near me was having so many carts taken, they ended up putting a magnetic perimeter around the parking lot. People would just walk the loaded cart home, and you'd see empty ones sitting by the street blocks away.
  • Photo Egg
    I have beef with Aldi’s. Went in one for the first time last month. Was unimpressed across the board. 

I'm sure this does not pertain to you but so many people in this country are lazy inconsiderate idiots who leave their shopping carts abandoned right next to their parking spot because they are to lazy to at least push it 50ft to the nearest cart retrieval area.
    Aldi's concept is perfect. You can reuse the same quarter every time you shop at Aldis. Just leave it in your car. Carts are always at the front of the store, not blowing around the parking lot and smashing into my car.
    It's easy for me as a customer and saves the store money.
    For 25 cents you can still steal it. The point is not to prevent theft but to promote cart return and it works brilliantly. Proof is in the parking lot, it's full of cars not empty carts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Photo Egg said:

I'm sure this does not pertain to you but so many people in this country are lazy inconsiderate idiots who leave their shopping carts abandoned right next to their parking spot because they are to lazy to at least push it 50ft to the nearest cart retrieval area.
    Aldi's concept is perfect. You can reuse the same quarter every time you shop at Aldis. Just leave it in your car. Carts are always at the front of the store, not blowing around the parking lot and smashing into my car.
    It's easy for me as a customer and saves the store money.
    For 25 cents you can still steal it. The point is not to prevent theft but to promote cart return and it works brilliantly. Proof is in the parking lot, it's full of cars not empty carts.
    I completely agree. I wish every store did this. 

I always found myself quaterless the first few times when going to Aldi. I never use cash. I tossed a quarter in my glove box when stumbling into some change. Problem solved.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    The quarter for a cart the MG cuts down on costs in a couple of ways. They don’t “lose” as many carts as most stores do. They don’t have to build those cart corrals. They  don’t  need cart attendants to keep ferrying carts back to the store all day. And less damage to customer vehicles as mentioned above. 

When I lived in a gentrifying part of Chicago a decade ago, there were no grocery stores nearby. 30 min drive to get to one. Aldi’s was planning on opening a store close by. Neighborhood residents ,including folks in my condo building, started a petition to keep them out because it wasn’t classy enough. Idiots. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    have never used a cart at aldis. its conveniently located next to my bank and beer store.  i just buy what i need that night and carry it out.  always have lots of quarters =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I honestly can’t believe that a quarter is a deterrent for laziness. A lot of folks wouldn’t bother to pick up a quarter on the ground much less push a cart across the parking lot for one. 
  • Carolina Q
    I honestly can’t believe that a quarter is a deterrent for laziness. A lot of folks wouldn’t bother to pick up a quarter on the ground much less push a cart across the parking lot for one. 
    Agreed. But it works. I have yet to see a rogue cart in an Aldi lot.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Honestly, yesterday was the first time I have ever seen a single empty cart in the lot. I pushed it in the store with me but really did not buy enough to make good use of it. I handed it off to another family on the way out to my car. I almost had to run from them as they were insistent on giving me a quarter. I said it was gifted to me by a lazy person, please just take it.lol
    No system is 100% but this really works.
    I do however wish they had small hand baskets just to use in the store.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Photo Egg said:
    Honestly, yesterday was the first time I have ever seen a single empty cart in the lot. I pushed it in the store with me but really did not buy enough to make good use of it. I handed it off to another family on the way out to my car. I almost had to run from them as they were insistent on giving me a quarter. I said it was gifted to me by a lazy person, please just take it.lol
    No system is 100% but this really works.
    I do however wish they had small hand baskets just to use in the store.

Whenever I'm in Aldi and only have a few things to get I just put them in the shopping bag I brought in to get around the store.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Gulfcoastguy
    If this was the case, I remember back when I was a kid. I would have had a side business returning carts and pocketing the quarters. I did scavenge the neighborhood for returnable bottles like all of the other kids in the neighborhood. We also didn't have aluminum cans and plastic bottles in the ditches like now days.
  • Gulfcoastguy

I do hope that they have the short double decker carts. They are a lots easier to maneuver and I don't buy mass quantities.
  • Photo Egg
    If this was the case, I remember back when I was a kid. I would have had a side business returning carts and pocketing the quarters. I did scavenge the neighborhood for returnable bottles like all of the other kids in the neighborhood. We also didn't have aluminum cans and plastic bottles in the ditches like now days.
    Don’t see return prices on very many bottles anymore.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2018
    Love Aldis. My wife and I call it the "pre-grocery store".  What we can't get at Aldi we get at Kroger.  Their Winking Owl wines at $2.59 are our inexpensive table wines.   We like Lidl too.  They have some crazy specials like a Sous Vide machine including tank for $40.
    link to Aldi's specials this week https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/our-weekly-ads/
    Link to Lidl's https://weeklyads.lidl.com/flyers/lidlus-weeklyad?flyer_run_id=338292&locale=en&type=1#!/flyers/lidlus-weeklyad?flyer_run_id=338292
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I want to see this rumored Kamado I've heard that Aldi is coming out with. No this is not a joke.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Photo Egg said:
    Don’t see return prices on very many bottles anymore.

5 cents isn't enough. I got that back in the 60's. Factoring in inflation, the price would need to be close to a quarter. Come to think about it the highway patrol was death on littering. They would pull you over, pull out a garbage bag and tell you to go along the road and fill it. Much more effective than a fine and we had clean roads.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I want to see this rumored Kamado I've heard that Aldi is coming out with. No this is not a joke.
    Aldis would probably be better than the cr@ppy Egg dealer that would be 1/4 mile away from it. Corporate needs to take their dealership away and give it to the local ACE. Had a discussion about it with the ACE manager a week ago. 
  • Carolina Q
    My store had a few full size Akorns this summer. Haven't heard rumors of an Aldi branded one.

JethroVA said:
    Their Winking Owl wines at $2.59 are our inexpensive table wines.
    I wonder if Connecticut is the only state that doesn't allow wine to be sold in grocery stores. Beer only. And it's only been a few years since they allowed any type of alcohol to be sold on Sunday! And stores had to stop selling at 8PM (since changed to 9P (Sundays, 5P).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut