Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet Grill - going to the dark side.

Options

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    If I remember correctly Meathead at Amazing Ribs says good pellet smokers are excellent
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • rtgurley
    Options
    Honestly, I’ve seen a lot of really good looking food come off of pellet smokers on Instagram lately and I’ve considered picking one up.  @MeatChurch uses one and it looks incredible.  I haven’t figured out a way to sell it to the wife yet though. 
    My buddy got one after he told his wife how easy it was to get it going. Plug it in, flip a switch and set the temp.  He takes care of the rest.  My dad taught my mom how to light the chimney starter 35+ years ago, she always appreciated being able to eat dinner at a decent time.
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Used my Traegers mainly to cook bacon.  Sold all three and now do all the bacon and sausage on the Blackstone!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I want a smaller stick burner or cabinet style to smoke homemade sausages and whatnot. Pellet crossed my mind but I'm not sure

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I concur. Whatever fits your family...

but I gotta imagine an adjustable rig would probably only run you about 6 containers of Duke’s mayo in Canada  @gmac

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited October 2018
    Options
    gmac said:
    The other day I had a terrible time doing ribs on the Egg. Now let’s be clear, it was all my fault, not the Egg. Got busy with other issues, had a bad time watching the heat. Just a lot of my mistakes. 
    If your not able to hang around and baby sit them try using Sous Vide and finishing on the egg. Excellent results every time!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    I have no personal experience using a pellet grill, I’m 100% a BGE lifer. However, a buddy of mine cranks our some kick ass grub on his. They are pretty sweet.  I prefer the diversity of the BGE 
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Check out Grilla Grills. Hard to beat for the money. They seem to stand by the product as well. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    edited October 2018
    Options

I would be shot if I even thought about getting another smoker.

I am curious how they would do in the winter though maintaining the heat.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options

I would be shot if I even thought about getting another smoker.

I am curious how they would do in the winter though maintaining the heat.

I know Yoder makes an insulated cover for some of their units to help with retaining heat/conserving fuel. Some other manufacturers may do the same.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I live in the high desert here in Salt Lake City, UT, so its no punishing winter like some further up north.  But I have cooked on my green mountain grill pellet cooker several times when it is in the 20's and it doesn't seem to have any problem with it.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I like pellet grills and have had two Traeger's. I will say that a Yoder is much better built and is better than a Traeger in the winter cold.

If you have a BGE already, then by all means get a Smobot or DigiQ. For smokes or anything less than 350 degree is autopilot.
  • cactus_darrell
    Options
    Treager Timberline is a top of the line convection cooking machine. Insulated, no chimney, heavy stainless grills, programable to your phone.  It is a very serious cooker that will produce excellent cooking results. It renders bacon like I have never seen. Has a new smoke setting that sounds like it is pooping smoke into the chamber very frequently. This is a steep upgrade from there previous pellet grills. Heavy duty in all aspects. pricey, but well worth looking at.

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Personally, I don't like the the idea of having my pit running on electricity. That being said, I'm sure you can make some kick a$$ food on it. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Seriously debating one of the smaller units to live in the camper. Ease of use when camping is always a positive. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Seriously debating one of the smaller units to live in the camper. Ease of use when camping is always a positive. 
    Couldn’t hurt. Your wings suck. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It’s amazing how fast bitterness can fade. I guess it’s true; winning fixes everything. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    It’s amazing how fast bitterness can fade. I guess it’s true; winning fixes everything. 
    Oh no.  The bitterness is palpable.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have a commercial Cookshack FEC-120 pellet smoker and a large green egg.
    Both are excellent cookers, but they are very different in cooking size and techniques.
    The FEC-120 is capable of smoking 15-16 pork butts weighing 10 pounds each. The smoke quality is excellent with the pellets, it is always 100% of the time producing the coveted thin blue smoke. It never produces acrid white smoke.
    I got interested in the pellet smokers because I was looking for something that had the extra capacity. I also wanted something that was easy to use and didn't require tending the smoker during the night. A stick burner would be awesome, but wouldn't want to cook with it routinely. I still would like own a stick burner, the flavor profile is excellent.

The green egg will always hold a place on my deck. It excels in direct cooking. The steaks and burgers are hard to beat. The chicken wings turn out better on the egg also.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nuffin' wrong with pellet burners.  They're better than eggs at some things like generating a smoke ring and a consistent level of smoke and heat.  Lower humidity which can give you a crustier crust.   On the downside they don't grill well, can't get hot enough for pizza, there's not caveman, can't get as neutral (like a kitchen oven) for baking insofar as smoke goes.

They are a tool as is the BGE.  Weigh your needs against the available tools and pick the best toolchest your needs and budget can meet.
    Options
    First few first few cooks have been ok. Not better than the BGE in anyway but good. But they have all been small break in cooks that could have been done just as easily on the BGE. Haven’t had a big event yet and with the oldest 2 boys working most weekends,not even a big family dinner yet. Won’t post pics as this is a BGE site and I respect that, and I forgot to take any. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @gmac- no forum police here but we all enjoy the successes (and upside down) cooks.  The only way you improve your chances of nailing the cook.  Post and picture away with your pellet cooking adventures. They will only contribute to the collective knowledge.   FWIW-
    BTW full disclosure- I may be a bit biased by # 38 for the win  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    @gmac Please do post, as @lousubcap said, no forum police here. We all post from various cookers - I post pictures of wood fired oven cooks frequently.  Just post them as “OT” ;)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    If there was a perfect grill/smoker out there everyone would own one. Each has their own positive/negative. Nothing wrong with trying something new. 
    Turn in your egg handle.  That is blasphemy.  The Egg is PERFECT at everything and the best tool for every single cooking with fire situation!!!!!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Jeremiah said:

You win best response of the day :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Just saying.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I want a smaller stick burner or cabinet style to smoke homemade sausages and whatnot. Pellet crossed my mind but I'm not sure
    https://kbq.us/

You are welcome :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    https://kbq.us/

You are welcome :)
    That's not even a contest.  KBQ FTW. 

Big on capacity. Small footprint. Real wood smoke. Built like a tank. 

Just has to be fed every 45mins or so. But there is much to make up for that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I wish I had 1400 bucks for one of those! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)