Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

doing pulled pork for 40ish people. rub recipe you like?

Options
doing pulled pork for an 80th birthday party this Saturday. won't quite follow the 1/2 person rule because 1) most the crowd will be 80ish years old 2) there will be a ton of other food as well

I am going to use pecan wood chunks for smoking. Using Franklin's recipe for bbq sauce and vinegar sauce. Also using his slaw recipe. Will have white onion, dill pickles, and Hawaiian sweet bread. 

Party is at 2 Saturday so I will probably put the meat on Friday evening, FTC until I get there and probably shred on site.

I know there are hundreds of basic rub recipes but what do you like to use? Figure I'll rub it tonight and let sit in the fridge until tomorrow. 
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    also, how many wood chunks do y'all recommend?
    Boom
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    This is my go to for pork butts https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chris-lillys-six-time-world-championship-pork-shoulder-52415241

I would use 4-5 wood chucks intermixed in the lump

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I like a 50/50 split of Bad Byrons Butt Rub and Brown Sugar. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    edited October 2018
    Options
    doing pulled pork for an 80th birthday party this Saturday. won't quite follow the 1/2 person rule because 1) most the crowd will be 80ish years old 2) there will be a ton of other food as well

I am going to use pecan wood chunks for smoking. Using Franklin's recipe for bbq sauce and vinegar sauce. Also using his slaw recipe. Will have white onion, dill pickles, and Hawaiian sweet bread. 

Party is at 2 Saturday so I will probably put the meat on Friday evening, FTC until I get there and probably shred on site.

I know there are hundreds of basic rub recipes but what do you like to use? Figure I'll rub it tonight and let sit in the fridge until tomorrow. 
    Maybe mix it up? Do some butts using Franklin Style rub (for the meat connoisseurs) and some sweet for people that like a sweeter meat? I did that last weekend and it was perfect, because everyone had an opinion and could eat their favorite. Interactive BBQ....   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbzEa_juegs
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I did that for Mom's 100th. Not sure how many people, but about 40. I cooked four ±8 pounders. Used the same rub I always use (one recipe per butt), 1 tbls each of: salt, sugar, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, black pepper and paprika, plus a teaspoon of cayenne. 

Cooked the day before and when done, I pulled, bagged, vac sealed and refrigerated. For the party, I heated pots of water to about 160° and put the vac bags in. Sous vide would have been nice, but I didn't have it so I just kept an eye on temp. 20-30 minutes was fine.

Eastern NC vinegar sauce: 1 1/2 cups each of white vinegar, apple cider vinegar and 1 1/2 teaspoons ea of sugar, red pepper flakes, hot pepper sauce and cayenne. S&P to taste.

Homemade recipe for KFC slaw and cheap burger buns. No pickles, onions or anything else. Typical NC - and what Mom is used to.

EDIT: Recipe for KFC Slaw is here: https://topsecretrecipes.com/kfc-cole-slaw-copycat-recipe.html?category_id=239 
    Dead ringer for the real thing!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I like bad Byron’s mixed with meat Church honey hog hot. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's a great mustard sauce recipe, if you need one. Makes abut 16 oz.
    3/4 c yellow mustard
    1/2 c honey
    1/4 c apple cider vinegar
    2 tbl ketchup
    1 tbl brown sugar
    2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    1 tsp hot sauce
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Not being a smart@ss here since at 74 I'm not that far behind the people in the 80's who will be eating your PP. 

At their age and even older many will be sporting a mouth full of false teeth and others with just some up front and none "behind the smile". Sooooo my suggestion is not on the recipe, but how you serve it. Please chop it much finer than a party of younger folks so your guests can chomp and swallow without molars in back to grind it finer!

Trust me they will love you! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not being a smart@ss here since at 74 I'm not that far behind the people in the 80's who will be eating your PP. 

At their age and even older many will be sporting a mouth full of false teeth and others with just some up front and none "behind the smile". Sooooo my suggestion is not on the recipe, but how you serve it. Please chop it much finer than a party of younger folks so your guests can chomp and swallow without molars in back to grind it finer!

you know is a great idea

maybe toss it for a quick burst in the blender to make it finer?
    Boom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    RRP said:

you know is a great idea

Personally I would never resort to that. Turning the meat to mush let alone having to clean the blender doesn't excite me.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

you know is a great idea

Personally I would never resort to that. Turning the meat to mush let alone having to clean the blender doesn't excite me.
    the cleaning is easy but I can finely chop with a knife, it'll just take longer haha

I am thinking about throwing it on around 8pm. two butts at 8ish lbs each. I gotta get up early Sat for a 5k so I can check it before I go. Hoping it'll be done sometime after I get home where I can FTC it until hour or so before serving

Boom
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    First I brine. Then I use a spicy rub for the butt, then I cover it in peach preserves. After pulling the blade bone with no effort, I remove from the BGE, pull and chop.
    Leftover preserves go right into the sauce.
    Smoke with peach, 6-8 chunks dispersed throughout the lump.
    Zero leftovers.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If your target crowd is around 80 plus or minus years old, I'd cut back on the salt lest your be responsible for a genocide of congenital heart failure.   Can always add it, can't take it away.  
    Options
    put it on at 9pm last night, pulled around 10:45 this morn. ftc right now. will start pulling right before we eat. I'l use my bear claws to try and tear it up

the rub was not heavy on the salt but these are dyed in the wool southern country folks. salt is one of the main food groups haha
    Boom