Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tendy, cook in bag? - No way

Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
SWMBO picked up this beefy looking pork tenderloin at the grocery store this week. It says cook in bag a few times on the packaging but that ain’t happenin! This suckers hittin the egg. It is all preseasoned and marinated up. Raised direct or indirect? 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Cook direct or raised direct 350-375.  Have fun.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I go raised direct and expect a fairly quick cook.  Pull around 138*F and you shall be rewarded.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I've done them direct and indirect and like them both ways.  But you should listen to @bgebrent as he has seen his wife cook a lot more of these than I have.

Just make sure you pull it when the center hits 140.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Foghorn said:
    I've done them direct and indirect and like them both ways.  But you should listen to @bgebrent as he has seen his wife cook a lot more of these than I have.

Just make sure you pull it when the center hits 140.
    Funny guy =)
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I cook them to 140 IT raised direct at like 350 or so. Builds a nice crust, I roll it every few minutes to get all sides 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    You could pitch it in it in the Sous Vide at 135 for a couple hours and finish on the egg?  I would be tempted to try that
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    400° raised direct works for me. Rotate 90° every 5 minutes. Done in 20.

EDIT: This is a loin, not a tenderloin. Probably gonna take longer, but I'd still cook it the same way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    im in the 400 or over direct camp. whats the salt content on it, everytime ive gone down this road its been overly salty and i like salt. maybe give it a rinse then oil before grilling if it looks to be high in salt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW I think that is actually a smallish loin, not a large tenderloin. They are similar but I think that is actually thicker than a tenderloin and not quite as forgiving. 

I would sous vide it like @GlennM suggested and finish it on the egg if you have a sous vide rig. 

If you don't have a sous vide rig I think I would consider a reverse sear. I'm just thinking since it is a little thicker going direct the entire time you may end up with more char on the outside than you want by the time the inside is cooked. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    It sure says loin not tenderloin     I like to cook loin indirect at about 350-375 and pull at 140    tenderloin should be direct raised    loin is not as forgiving as tenderloin and I think needs to be indirect.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Powak
    Ah yes it is loin not a tenderloin. Didn’t realize that at first because it’s only a hair bigger than a regular tender loin. Would this cut be tougher and do better with indirect? I would definitely enjoy some char but not so much where it ruins the flavor.
  • fishlessman
    Powak said:
    Ah yes it is loin not a tenderloin. Didn’t realize that at first because it’s only a hair bigger than a regular tender loin. Would this cut be tougher and do better with indirect? I would definitely enjoy some char but not so much where it ruins the flavor.
    i go with direct til i see enough browning/ light charring, then use foil to stop it from burning, either just placed under it or a wrap. my bigger concern is whats in the marinade, salt, heavy sugar etc, my guess its already been tenderized.
    fukahwee maine

• Powak
    Powak said:
    i go with direct til i see enough browning/ light charring, then use foil to stop it from burning, either just placed under it or a wrap. my bigger concern is whats in the marinade, salt, heavy sugar etc, my guess its already been tenderized.
    I’m guessing it has a lotta salt, sugars and stuff in there. These products tend to have a little help to extend their shelf lives.
  • fishlessman
    Powak said:
    Powak said:
    I’m guessing it has a lotta salt, sugars and stuff in there. These products tend to have a little help to extend their shelf lives.
    those items also tenderize it. the only way to make a loin tough is over cooking, i would get it off the grill in the high 130's
    fukahwee maine

• Powak
    Pork came out KILLER! Went with 400° indirect, at the felt. Pulled at 155°(swmbo’s still not sold on pink pork). Still came out juicy as can be. Was covered in crumbles of bacon.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Looks great.  Well-executed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    Foghorn said:
    Looks great.  Well-executed.
    Says the novice.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Powak said:

It says Pork Loin Filet, which leads me to believe it's still a tenderloin. I've never seen an actual loin vacpack'd in marinade before. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    SonVolt said:
    Powak said:

It says Pork Loin Filet, which leads me to believe it's still a tenderloin. I've never seen an actual loin vacpack'd in marinade before. 
    its an odd way of marking it and i agree. that and its missing that small dark section that runs down the corner of a loin that gets cut off before slicing and finds its way to my plate ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Powak
    SonVolt said:
    Powak said:

Me neither. I could’ve sworn they mislabeled it until I started slicing it. It was definitely a loin not a tenderloin but it was trimmed down from the size of a normal one. It was much firmer than a tenderloin too. I could definitely see where maybe pulling in the high 130s/140’s could yield a more tender roast but it was dang good even at 155. 
  • Powak
    SonVolt said:
    Powak said:

its an odd way of marking it and i agree. that and its missing that small dark section that runs down the corner of a loin that gets cut off before slicing and finds its way to my plate ;)
    Yeah like this 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    SonVolt said:
    Powak said:

Filet is the fancy way to say boneless.  Its a loin not a tenderloin - says so on the package.  The "loin filet" term may confuse some into thinking its tenderloin.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.