Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cooks - What Went Right, What Went Wrong

2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Wrong:
    Did not make enough
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SamIAm2 said:
    @DoubleEgger - nope, just thought it might be interesting. Sometimes I just go for really simple cooks. Do you have any insights you care to share? 
    When I lived in NC, I remember a guy cooking 5-6 shoulders naked. It was excellent but I had been day drinking. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Thanks for responding @DoubleEgger. Good to know someone thought it was a good cook, although I'm not sure I can get all the church folks to drink enough to make that appraisal of my cook. Cooking for 60, maybe more, Sam's Boston butts are tomorrow's purchase. Going to batch them using the large and minimax as soon as the new refrigerator gets installed and cold. Who said retiring meant less work and more play time??? 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DoubleEgger
    SamIAm2 said:
    Thanks for responding @DoubleEgger. Good to know someone thought it was a good cook, although I'm not sure I can get all the church folks to drink enough to make that appraisal of my cook. Cooking for 60, maybe more, Sam's Boston butts are tomorrow's purchase. Going to batch them using the large and minimax as soon as the new refrigerator gets installed and cold. Who said retiring meant less work and more play time??? 
    The pork really shined. You’ll be fine. 
  • SamIAm2
    13 hour cook and both shoulders probed like “buttah”. FTC for a little bit and then pulling. Added drip pan contents to both wrapped AL pans.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Pulled and now in refrigerator. 7 and 1/2 pounds of finished meat. Might do all of the butts the same way. No stress and just the flavor of the meat.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Mini Max so loaded could only do 1 potato...

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    SamIAm2 said:
    Nice cook @Sam-I-Am
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @SamIAm2 - nice job.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    First time smoking dinosaur beef ribs is what went right. And to heck with anyone who says you can’t get a good smoke ring with the BGE

• Thermometer on egg got stuck on 200 so I nuked some cut red potatoes in foil , burnt to a crisp.  Then I totally over cooked the T-bones .... lots of expletives yelled out . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Thermometer on egg got stuck on 200 so I nuked some cut red potatoes in foil , burnt to a crisp.  Then I totally over cooked the T-bones .... lots of expletives yelled out . 
    Oh man.....that blows!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SamIAm2
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Just realized I'm down to my last bag of RW :minus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    I’m getting dangerously low myself. 
  • We did a 22 pound turkey in my XL. Cooked at 300 grill temp. It finished at 165 deg in thigh and breast. The drum sticks got over cooked and the underside of the bird was a bit on the rare side. I think next time I’ll start the bird breast side down and flip it half way through. It took 4 hours to cook. 
    Ontario, Canada
    XL- BGE
    CGS- AR, spider, PS WOO, 
    KAB
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I’m getting dangerously low myself. 
    I got ya.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_Day may i suggest sous vide for those buffalo burgers. I started sous viding my hamburgers (not buffalo but still) and then finishing them in my cast iron pan. My son says its the best burger ever. They stay moist and juicy without over cooking.
    ATL
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,205
    I did a rack of loin ribs today. They got overdone and a bit dry. They still tasted great. I need to check the calibration on my dome thermometer. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Tried to make some brown butter with garlic and sage for tossing some pasta. 

Burnt the eff out of the garlic.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA