Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moroccan tagine lamb ribs

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025
edited October 2018 in Lamb

While shopping for various spices and seasonings, I stumbled across a North African spice
blend called Ras el Hanout.  I've seen this around and have been meaning to give it a try, so
there's no time like the present.  It's common in Moroccan cooking and I decided to use it to
infuse some of the typical flavors of a tagine on a few racks of lamb ribs.

The following ingredients were pureed to make the marinade: Ras el Hanout, vegetable broth
olive oil, pistachio oil, apricot preserves, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, lamb demi-glace and
a sweet vidalia onion.

photo IMG_20181006_120122_DRO_zpsxkptdnfxjpg

photo IMG_20181006_113817_DRO_zpsjifoa3q5jpg

The marinade was very aromatic and smelled like a curried tomato soup.

photo IMG_20181006_122117_DRO_zpsk85auej8jpg

I wasn't very happy with the lamb ribs.  They were not cut as per their label, were very lean
and required some trimming.  They were marinated overnight in a vacuum sealed bag.

photo IMG_20181006_123337_DRO_zpshih3wvrvjpg

photo IMG_20181006_125126_DRO_zps7riz8zbjjpg

photo IMG_20181006_131701_DRO_zps655el4p1jpg

After their overnight stint in the fridge, they were hit up with a rub of Ras el Hanout, garlic,
onion and pepper and placed on the Egg at 240F with hickory and cherry.

photo IMG_20181007_142037_DRO_zpsd04yqqxijpg

photo IMG_20181007_143116_DRO_zpsrujdvqxnjpg

After 3.5 hours, I started spritzing the ribs with an apple cider/vegetable broth blend.

photo IMG_20181007_182100_DRO_zpsp1ekehedjpg

They picked up some color from the spritzing and were FTC'd while I finished preparing the
sides.

photo IMG_20181007_223850_DRO_zpsnycyspzkjpg

Pearl couscous cooked with vegetable broth, garlic and olive oil.

photo IMG_20181008_153443_DRO_zpsftjbmoodjpg

Creamed spinach seasoned with a bit of onion soup mix and pepper.

photo IMG_20181008_154006_DRO_zps00ec6e69jpg

photo IMG_20181008_154859_DRO_zpsr1bnhqnbjpg

photo IMG_20181008_155331_DRO_zpsgemouqakjpg

photo IMG_20181008_161935_DRO_zpsjztpse4wjpg

Dinner is served.

photo IMG_20181008_164549_DRO_zpsfyyzzgsajpg

photo IMG_20181008_164703_DRO_zpso4ly3jvsjpg

photo IMG_20181008_164905_DRO_zpsvj8euvirjpg

photo IMG_20181008_164839_DRO_zpskypwvm4qjpg

This particular blend of Ras el Hanout, while purporting a blend of 30 different spices, was not
spicy, but did remind me of a curry.  The ribs were juicy but I found the meat to be a little tough.
The couscous and spinach rounded out the meal.

Good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Yes, yes, yes!  Fabulous cook.  How did you like the Ras el Hanout?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • smokingal
    @bgebrent The Ras el Hanout was probably the most varied spice blend I've ever tried and I really enjoyed it.  I'm definitely going to use this for some future cooks.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Looks fantastic!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Looks great!  I really do enjoy lamb ribs now.  Never heard of Ras el Hanout though. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Ras el Hanout is the basic Moroccan spice blend.  It means House Blend (sort of like saying BBQ rub).  Every cook has their own secret recipe.  Often contains turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cardamom seeds, nutmeg, black pepper, and cloves. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,010
    edited October 2018
    Fantastic cook. I've used Ras el Hanout on a few things, including lamb. But not ribs ... this will be fixed soon.

FWIW, if you like the taste ... fancy giving it a go with popcorn? :D

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/07/10/ras-el-hanout-and-maple-syrup-popcorn/
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great google moogly. Fantastic cook!!

your cooks make me want be your neighbor :). I checked out your blog the other day, and there are quite a few things I want to try. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I just had a tagine for the first time a couple of weeks ago, loved the flavors.  I’ve never had lamb ribs but they look great.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:
    Great google moogly. Fantastic cook!!

your cooks make me want be your neighbor :). I checked out your blog the other day, and there are quite a few things I want to try. 
    I was trying to find the right words.  Great googly moogly seems to cover it.

@caliking has a way with words.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• smokingal
    @Stormbringer Thanks for the idea.  I will certainly try that recipe.
    @caliking Thanks.  I wouldn't mind being your neighbor either.   :)
    @Legume You should give lamb ribs a try.  They are usually pretty fatty, but if they get rendered properly, you'll even gobble up the fat.  You don't even need to remove the membrane.  In fact, not doing so allows you to leave them on longer to render more fat while keeping them juicy.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Well that looks delicious! I've never tried any Moroccan food though I do have an as yet unused, unglazed (and unseasoned) terracotta tagine plus heat diffuser. So, since I know I'll never find any Ras el Hanout around here, rather than order it, I looked up the recipe. Found several, combined them and came up with this (if anyone's interested)...

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    3/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground white pepper
    1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
    1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp ground allspice
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp ground cardamom
    1/2 tsp lavender, crushed

Had everything on hand, even lavender, so I mixed up a batch. My ginger, turmeric and cinnamon are getting a little long in the tooth, but it still smells and tastes pretty good. 

I don't have any lamb ribs, but I think I have some leg of lamb in the freezer. Bet chicken thighs would work too. Now to season the tagine and figure out how to use it! 

Thanks for 
    the inspiration!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut