Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on the platesetter

Options
I've just joined a UK based BGE group. There is a chap on there cooking mackerel directly on the platesetter. Surely this isn't what it was meant for? Won't the rest of his cooks for ever more taste of fish???
Northamptonshire, UK
Twitter - @criggybarbar
Blog - www.criggybites.com

Comments

• BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Yea the least he should do is through a little cedar plank under it.😀
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I would think it would take a lot of cooks to get rid of the mackerel smell. It will be the center of attention for the neighborhood cats.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    Yea the least he should do is through a little cedar plank under it.😀
    Cooking directly on the platesetter and cooking on a wood plank are quite different. Wood insulates the food from heat transfer and the ceramic promotes rapid heat transfer.  Results will be quite different, especially if you want a crispy skin.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Interesting. Reading the title I thought it was CI platesetter!
    canuckland
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I’ve done it but only in a foil pan as I was doing three spatchcock chickens so one one the setter, one main grid and one raised grid so I just rotated them around throughout the cook. Came out great