Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seriously Good Chili

Options
Whipped up some chili last night. I'll post pictures later today. I took a variation of some "over the top" recipes I browsed on the forum. I didn't measure anything so this is going to be best guess. I also used home-made tomato sauce and fresh peeled tomatoes from our garden...so the amounts again are best guess as far as canned volumes go. This chili had good flavor, but not much heat. The flavor from all fresh tomatoes was insane. Slightly sweet because I added some crushed cherry tomatoes from the garden as well. The hunks of meat are huge. Very hardy meal. 

Aprox total time: 2.5 - 3 hrs

Ingredient list:
Spices:

Chili Powder - 1 tbsp
Cumin -1 tbsp
Ground White Pepper - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 pinch (to taste)
Paprika - 1 tbsp
Mustard Powder -1 tsp
Onion Powder - 1 tsp
Cayenne Pepper - 1 tsp (more if you like heat)
BBQ Rub (chefs choice) - 1 tbsp

Veggies: 

Bell pepper - 1 whole (chopped)
Poblano pepper - 2 whole (medium size) (chopped)
White Onion - 1 half (chopped)
Garlic - 3 cloves (chopped)
Celery - 3 sticks (chopped)
Tomato Sauce - 2 cans
Peeled Tomatoes (halved or quartered) - 2 cans
Black beans - 1 can (drained and rinsed)
Kidney beans - 1 can (drained and rinsed)

Meat and Other:

Ground Beef - 1 lb
Fresh Bratwurst - 1 package
Dry Red Wine - 3/4 to 1 cup
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
Pre-heat egg to 285-300F Indirect. Plate setter legs up, if using. Add smoking wood of your choice. I used 2 apple chunks and a hand full of maple chips. 

Remove casing from bratwurst and place the meat in a large bowl. Add the ground beef to the pork in large bowl. Add all spices to meat and mix thoroughly. Mold the meat into a round loaf. Set aside.

In a large cast-iron pot (preferably enameled) heat olive oil on stove top over medium-high heat, add chopped bell pepper, poblano, white onion, garlic and celery. Cook, stirring often,  until fragrant. Add a splash of red wine to de-glaze. Remove from heat and add the rest of the wine. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce. 

Place pot in egg with an air gap below the pot. I used foil balls. Place grid over pot and place meat ball on the grid. Cook meat ball to about 140F internal. You can either remove the ball and break it apart on a cutting board/counter top or you can just put the meat ball in the chili and break it apart with a utensil (wooden spoon) like I did. Allow the chili to simmer in the egg for another 20 to 30 min. 

Add beans to chili and stir to mix. Simmer chili another 20min. 

After pulling the chili off I set the egg up for indirect and took some okra from the garden that I tossed in EVOO and some S&P. I skewered the okra and grilled direct until the outsides were evenly caramelized. This is super simple but it tastes so good and pairs well with the chili. 

Serve. 

Pic at the point in cook when beans are added. I'll add a plated picture today as well. 

Pratt, KS

Comments