Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends recipe questions

Options
hvhunter
hvhunter Posts: 88
For those of you that have mastered Pork Belly Burnt Ends, do you do the initial cook direct or indirect? I will assume the grill will be raised?  Thanks in advance for the replies.

The family wants pizza on July 4th, but I don't know if I have the motivation to hoover over a 600-700 degree bge with these hot temps we're having in the northeast this week. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Indirect.  Otherwise I think you'd run the risk of burning a lot of the fat, not to mention the issue of flare-ups. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Here's the base-line recipe many of us sue:
    http://howtobbqright.com/?s=pork+belly+burnt+ends 
    And here's a link to a thread with a slight modification:
    Pork Belly Burnt Ends-Malcom Reed with @Sea2Ski's adaptation  
    You are in for a real treat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Just did these a couple weeks ago for a trial run.  Oh my gosh!  Doing them again for the 4th for a large group.  Oh, indirect, yes, indirect.  Have fun!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • hvhunter
    hvhunter Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks for the input.  With a L BGE, approx how many lb belly do I want to buy?
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you are just doing burnt ends, you could probably get as big as you want. You cube it up so you could fit a lot of burnt ends in there. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Spence2swim
    Options
    I've got 7lbs to cook up but have a day in-between being able to serve them (travesty...I know.)  Is it better to finish the cook completely and just reheat later?  I'm thinking I pull them and wait to do the sauce/butter/brown sugar/pan for the 1.5-2 hour finish as re-heat later.    Thoughts/Experience appreciated
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I've got 7lbs to cook up but have a day in-between being able to serve them (travesty...I know.)  Is it better to finish the cook completely and just reheat later?  I'm thinking I pull them and wait to do the sauce/butter/brown sugar/pan for the 1.5-2 hour finish as re-heat later.    Thoughts/Experience appreciated
    I've had great results using Sous Vide ahead of time, the cube and smoke for the finish the day of with butter brown sugar and glaze 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spence2swim
    Spence2swim Posts: 15
    edited September 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I've had great results using Sous Vide ahead of time, the cube and smoke for the finish the day of with butter brown sugar and glaze 

thanks, should have thought of that but didn't.  To be specific,  I already cubed and am cooking with Tsnami rub.  Wondering best way to proceed from here
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Doing these tomorrow.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I've done both - fully cooked and reheated and also partial cooked and then cooked all the way through to finish. Either works because pork belly is very very forgiving. If you are crunched for time, go all the way and just reheat. If you have a bit more flex, hold to finish with the sauce/glaze until the day of - just to ensure that the sauce is nice and fresh. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker