Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first packer brisket

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was in Costco today and saw the cutest little prime full packer...it's only 9.9lbs.  I've never cooked one, and figured how could I resist the chance to cook a full packer (prime even) for under $40?  So, now the question is, how?  I could try the sous vide then smoke method or try following https://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html or something else?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Agreed.

You have a PM that you may or may not find helpful.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• njl
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Agreed.

You have a PM that you may or may not find helpful.
    Thanks, and thanks for the heads-up about it.  My biggest concerns with smoking it are the length of time it might require in the egg, or how fast it might go as a very small packer.  I don't think I've ever done an overnight cook. 

I suppose it could be done in time for dinner if I start very early...or I could start it after dark, likely have it done early morning, and FTC it til we want to eat.

• Foghorn
    Options
    With one that size, I'd probably get up early and cook it about 275-290.  On one occasion I lit the egg the night before and set it so it would settle in at about that temp and rubbed the brisket - and went to bed.  The egg uses very little charcoal at that temp.  Then I set the alarm for 6 AM and just rolled out of bed and dropped the brisket on the egg.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• njl
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    With one that size, I'd probably get up early and cook it about 275-290.  On one occasion I lit the egg the night before and set it so it would settle in at about that temp and rubbed the brisket - and went to bed.  The egg uses very little charcoal at that temp.  Then I set the alarm for 6 AM and just rolled out of bed and dropped the brisket on the egg.  
    That sounds like a pretty good plan.  There may be a complication though.  I mentioned all this to my wife, and the first thing she said is, "I don't like BBQ brisket, lets braise it in the oven my way."

I told her she needs to do some googling and see if her way, which works very well on flats, is suitable for cooking a small whole packer.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    You might compromise and do it Travis-style. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it

San Antonio, TX

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Tell your wife to do her own brisket in the oven 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Go with the BGE and she will become a convert.  Just wait for the "feels like buttah" in the thickest part of the flat to declare victory.   Make sure to give it a good 15-20 minute cooling rack rest (stop the carry-over cooking) before any FTC.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • njl
    Options
    I think part of her problem with BBQ brisket is the ones I've tried previously in the BGE were all just flats, and to be honest, they do come out a little dry.  But she's tried brisket from places like Rudy's BBQ, and still wasn't impressed. 

It's still in the cryopak in the fridge.  I assume I have some time to figure this out.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Good Luck!  Don’t Fvck it up.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @njl - you have weeks to figure this out if the cryovac is completely intact.  Wet aging will just further enhance the whole experience.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Do it travis style as foghorn suggests but put whole medium onions under it is the foil pan to keep slightly above the drippings then wrap at 160 IT and raise temp to 350until done then let sit in foil for 30-40 mins to finish    Start at about 275 till wrap.    this is how I do it and it is alway great but not as much bark.     Also I just use S&P liberally after coating with either mustard or cooking oil   Not EVO
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • njl
    Options
    Wife gave up on the idea of braising it...she's too busy to tackle a brisket.  I decided the Travis way seemed kind of complicated, so I just finished trimming 1lb off it, and hit it with dalmation rub.  It's back in the fridge, and will go on the egg first thing in the morning.

Pack date was 9/20/18.  I guess I could have waited another couple of weeks for a longer wet aging...but we were getting tired of working around it in the fridge.  Funny thing is, I was in Costco this evening, and they had more prime full packers, mediums, and smalls...some even smaller than this one.  I was seriously tempted to buy another, but figured I should see how this turns out first, and there's only so much fridge space.
  • njl
    Options
    I guess I'm going to try out the Lavatools Carbon Lite that I bought back when I bought a Javelin Pro Duo to replace my dead Thermopens.  At the time, I found the iPhone app UI to be totally non-intuitive.  I don't know if it's from updates or just a fresh look at it, but I was just playing around with it, and I think I understand how to make it work now.
  • njl
    Options
    So...this morning, I took the brisket out of the fridge, and let it sit out on the stove top while I got the BGE lit and setup for indirect cooking.  I'd arranged the lump and a bacon fat paper towel starter last night.  I didn't get the brisket into the egg til about 8am. 

I am using the Carbon Lite.  When I stuck the probe into the flat from the top, IT was 47F.

1h in, IT was 100.4F
    1.5 in, IT is up to 120.9F

The probe ambient reading and my dome thermo don't quite agree.  I'm not sure if that's a calibration issue on the dome thermo or if it really is slightly cooler inches above the flat (evaporative cooling?).  Carbon Lite says the ambient is 237F.  Dome says I'm at 275F.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Having a discrepancy like that early in the cook is not surprising. Depends on how close each thermometer is to the big hunk of relatively cold meat. 

As the meat gets hotter the discrepancy usually diminishes. 

San Antonio, TX

• njl
    Options
    2.5h, IT 144F, probe 235F, dome 270F.
  • njl
    Options
    I'm hoping for this to be dinner tonight...at a reasonable hour.  It was 9.9lb to start with...minus 1lb of trimmed fat, so call it 9lb (must have been a small cow).  I'm considering raising the temp a little.  If I don't, anyone care to guess on a finish time assuming I plan to either foil or paper when it hits the stall?

I don't have butcher paper, but I do have parchment, which I use for pizza.  I'm not sure if that's a compatible substitute...but I'm also not sure it's wide enough to be usable for wrapping a brisket.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    I can’t speak to the parchment paper except to say that it seems like it would have a similar effect as butcher paper. 

As for timing, the ultimate method to speed things up is to use foil. 

But it seems reasonable to open your vents just a little more and let the temp rise some at this point. 

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Stay the course!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Regarding guesstimate cook time- reads like you put it on at around 8 AM (EDT reference).  Running around 270*F on a calibrated dome I figure an hour/lb at that temp (disclaimer to follow).  So with a 9 LB brisket firgure crossing the finish-line around 5 PM EDT.  Briskets like a couple hour FTC so you should be ready to slice on demand around 7-7:30 PM EDT.
    Now the disclaimer-the friggin cow drives the cook.  I had them run as fast as around 0.7 hrs/lb and as long as 1.4 hrs/lb at the same dome temp.  So, whatever you do, stay the course and don't declare victory until you get the "probes like buttah" feel in the thick part of the flat.  As above, you can dial up the temp to help speed it along if you are getting concerned about the time.  BTW- you can easily FTC for 4-5 hours.  FWIW-
  • njl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I know every piece of meat is special, and the bigger the hunk, the less predictable it's going to be...but as my first packer, and ages since I've tried doing a flat, I'm in totally uncharted territory (for me).  
    I did open things up a little about 30min ago...the dome cap is closed, but petals are fully open now...were about half way.  I opened the bottom vent a tiny bit more...about 1/2" of screen showing now.  Weird thing is, that seems to have got the dome temp lower, but probe temp higher.

4h, IT 155F, probe 250F, dome 250F
  • njl
    Options
    Incidentally, just in case Lavatools is still watching the board...some comments on their iPhone app for the Carbon Lite:

The stopwatch seems buggy.  I know I didn't start that clock immediately upon setting up the probe, which went into the meat a few minutes after it was on the BGE...but as time passes, the stopwatch time seems to be falling increasingly behind actual time.  i.e. I've been cooking about 4 hours now.  The stopwatch has only counted up to 02:55:40, so it's more than an hour behind.  It's possible I accidentally reset it while fooling around with the app.  I suppose time will tell (if it continues falling behind).

The temperature graph...I know someone recently asked about getting both the internal and ambient temps on the graph, and that'd certainly be appreciated here...but another issue with the graph is on my iPhone 7, it only displays about 25min of X axis.  It won't rotate and go landscape to take advantage of more screen width, and there doesn't appear to be any way to "zoom out" and see a longer time scale.  Panning across the X axis seems kind of sluggish.
  • njl
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Nearly 5h now and temps have reversed.

IT 163F, probe 260F, dome 250F
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Don't second guess it. Hold steady. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • njl
    Options
    5.5h, IT 171F, probe 280F, dome 275F

Do you wait to verify the IT has stalled, or just assume 170F is time to foil if you're going to?
  • njl
    Options
    6:15h, IT 179F, probe 284F, dome 290F.  I guess I'm going to reduce air flow.  Where's the stall?
  • njl
    Options
    I ended up deciding to foil it right after the previous post.  At 7:45h, I decided it's got to be done...IT was 195F on the probe.  I stuck it in a few places with the Javelin and it was over 205F in the point, 200 in some parts of the flat.  
    I wrapped it in 2 new layers of foil, fat side up, poured a good amount of the juices from the foil it'd cooked in into the new foil, wrapped that in a two towels and into a pre-warmed cooler.  If it turned out, it should be perfect timing for dinner in a couple hours.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I hope you went with the following from an above post:
    "So, whatever you do, stay the course and don't declare victory until you get the "probes like buttah" feel in the thick part of the flat. "  FWIW-

• njl
    Options
    It wasn't quite what I'd call buttah in the flat, but it was tender enough.  It spent 2.5 hours FTC.  When it came out of the cooler for dinner, it was still 147F in the flat.  The point meat was every bit as good as what I've gotten in the better BBQ places.  The flat, as I sliced it, I could practically watch the slices dry out :( but they're still pretty good.  I saved all the foil juices and put the leftovers (most of which is not yet sliced) in a glass baking dish and will be adding the FTC juices (the earlier ones from the egg foil were refrigerated earlier) as soon as the fat layer solidifies enough to scoop that off...though it occurred to me while typing this, I can just ladle off that layer and dump the liquid in before it all turns to jelly like the first cup did.