Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Griddle temps

Options
I thought I ruined my Blackstone (a friend "cleaned" it for me while i was out of town then covered it in plastic then covered it with the blackstone cover and I didn't know or use it for like a month and when I took the cover off it was CARNAGE)

It sat like this for over a year. A month ago I decided to work it with a griddle stone till it was smooth again. Shockingly I had it like new in just about 2 hours of sweating my butt off in the south MS heat and humidity. 

Soo... I'm back obsessed with griddling. So much so that I bought one of @Tspud1 stainless covers and one of the Thermapen Pro Surface temp readers for measuring exact griddling temps. BUT... I don't know what temps I should be shooting for...

Any suggestions? I know I want it lower for eggs, higher for hashbrowns and smash burgers. No idea for pancakes. Anyone have some good basic suggestions for griddle temps for different foods?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don’t know how accurate this is, so proceed at your own peril. 
    https://www.subzero-wolf.com/assistance/answers/cooking-with-a-griddle

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    I don’t know how accurate this is, so proceed at your own peril. 
    https://www.subzero-wolf.com/assistance/answers/cooking-with-a-griddle
    I saw that. and 250 for eggs seems retarded. I tried a couple and didn't have perfect luck. Granted, I've had the therma thingy for griddles for 2 days so who knows.

I know a few people have the infrared temp things and am hoping they can chime in with what works for them.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    The consumer grade griddles don't hold as much heat as the thick slabs of the commercial units, so depending on what you're doing, you need to get hotter than you want if you have a lot of food mass.  Obv eggs and pancakes use a more moderate heat. 

I usually run mine between HOT and FVCKING HOT.  I'll also create a gradient between hot and warm by adjusting the 4 burners, gives you a big pallet of heat to cook.   When I worked in a commercial kitchen, we ran our grills like that.
    @nolaegghead what makes butter turn brown vs just being awesome? probably a more appropriate question

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    @tarheelmatt might be of assistance. 
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Does @Tspud1 have a business page? I messaged him here a while back about a cover and never heard back 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Does @Tspud1 have a business page? I messaged him here a while back about a cover and never heard back 
    Sorry must have missed it. No page but they sell on Etsy, ebay and Facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/Blackstone-Griller-Griddle-Covers-211731362957801/?__nodl
     or you can send me message. I just checked my messages here and cant see any from you this year. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @nolaegghead what makes butter turn brown vs just being awesome? probably a more appropriate question

Brown butter is delicious.  Complex nutty flavor. Like making a dark roux.

Burned = bad.  You have a certain amount to time before it burns or browns.  Needs to heat to 212F, then spends time cooking off water, then the temp rises and you have limited time before the milk solids burn.  It's a time-temp thing.  Lower the griddle temp, the more time you have.

When I blacken whatever protein, I use butter at 500F. 

Brown butter is delicious.  Complex nutty flavor. Like making a dark roux.

Burned = bad.  You have a certain amount to time before it burns or browns.  Needs to heat to 212F, then spends time cooking off water, then the temp rises and you have limited time before the milk solids burn.  It's a time-temp thing.  Lower the griddle temp, the more time you have.

When I blacken whatever protein, I use butter at 500F. 
    Agreed.  I have one child that wouldn't eat pasta if it weren't for brown butter and parmesan cheese.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    So why not Ghee
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Get one. It's REALLY nice! I'll post some pics when I get home.