Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the best thing you ever cooked on your EGG?

Options

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pork ribs, St. Louis trim. Took me about a year Egging, but finally made a rack that was as good as anything I'd ever had, tho' my wife had to press me to admit it.

Basic routine. Start Egg, a good handful of oak, preferably post oak, mixed w. the lump. Hickory is OK, too. Set vents so the dome temp won't go above 275F. Wait till the smoke turns blue.

Meanwhile, trim the spares, pull the membrane and rub. The only thing I do that is a little different is that I brush a small amount of peanut oil on the meat before adding the rub.

Meat on a raised grill, over a drip pan, which can be nothing more than double thick HD foil. Close Egg, and check maybe twice during a 4 hour period to see if the dome temp is hanging around 275F.

At the 4 hour mark, peek at the ribs to see how the meat is drawing back from the bone ends, maybe give a little tug on the end to see what is happening. About 45 min later, brush another thin coat of oil across the top, and sprinkle on some extra black pepper, paprika, and some turbinado sugar. At about the 5.5 hr point, the rack should fold under its own weight.

Serve w. warmed sauce on side.

From what I've been told by my guests, that produces a grade A dry rib. Meat tender and separates from the bone cleanly, strong spice and smoke flavor, w. fat crisped.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Meat followed closely by pizza, then pineapple upside down cake and finally veggies.

One of our favorites has always been smoked and then braised short ribs in a red wine sauce.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Only havr had one bad meal in 20+ years and it happened last month, was cookin 3 slabs baby backs on large indirect with drip pan cranking along 250F and had to leave for 45 minutes, big wind came off lake and when I returned temp was 450F, liquid in drip pan gone ribs been thru a bed of hot lava. WILL NEVER LEAVE AGAIN FORTUNATELY BABYS HAD BEEN ON SALE $1.99/LB, STILL HAVE MORE IN FREEZER, MY FAVORITE MEAL IS PAELLA. Method attached Eggjoy http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1174114&catid=1

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    OT Chili- was unique and amazing
    Spatchcock Chicken- top cook
    Ladies love the planked Salmon

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Brisket, no doubt about it, and it is not even close. Best I had ever had, and the best ever for about 10 others, including a KC judge.
    It was based on the prep and guidance from the forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Mine was smoked ham steaks both to eat and to put into a pot of beans     Need a good ham not a spirialed or pressed one      Try to find a good country store to get one
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Maybe not the fanciest thing... but man, did this really surprise me how great it tasted.  Local Italian sausages, fresh sweet peppers and onions tossed in EVOO and Italian spices... 19/10.

FAN-FRIGGIN'-TASTIC !

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    Hub said:
    My maple and butter glazed salmon smoked on the egg.  My sister said I should open my own restaurant and sell that one item!!
    Sounds good, could you share your recipe?
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    All time best...........6 lb. prime rib roast, rare!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    For me, prime rib and pepper stout beef have been my favorites.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Probably pork tenderloin rubbed with Green Chile Rub, cooked raised direct to medium, and glazed with the syrup from sweet pickled jalapeños.

Those look amazing! Does the cast iron grill below the steel give an extra radiating effect when cooking?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Whole fish, hands down. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    ∆∆∆∆ green lightning shrimp just above. Love those
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Powak said:
    Probably pork tenderloin rubbed with Green Chile Rub, cooked raised direct to medium, and glazed with the syrup from sweet pickled jalapeños.

Those look amazing! Does the cast iron grill below the steel give an extra radiating effect when cooking?
    I don’t really know . The Woo doesn’t fit the old style mediums. I used to just put the bricks on the fire ring but they sometimes fell into the coals. This was just an improvised method using materials on hand. Eventually I will upgrade to a large but I just spent an arm, a leg, and a kidney on a new roof.
  • RalphieBoy
    Options
    Dutch Oven BlackBerry cobbler. Hands down.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    By far  3 bone rib roast.. don't have pictures at the moment got a new phone..I will look for some. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • Kupkaked
    Options
    Fairly confident it's a packer brisket when I can nail the cook. Ribs, pork butts and chicken thighs are the other standbys. I think another underrated cut is simply smoking spiral ham reheated in a low-n-slow egg. 
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • teamunited33
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    To be totally honest, my favorite by far is simple bratwurst from a local meat market her in Sheboygan.  I've made great brisket, pulled pork, steak, pizza, chicken, (I'm not a fan of my ribs), but it always comes down to my old standard.  Growing up in Sheboygan, Brats on a Sheboygan hard roll are the way of life.  I will say this, how you cook them is more important than where you get them, Meisfelds, Johnsonville, Poth, or homemade, you must never par-boil a brat, to me that just isn't right.

I'm also from Wisconsin, and the only acceptable way to cook a brat I've learned is with a beer bath followed by direct sear.  What's your preferred method? 
    Lakeville, MN
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I’m a hack I’m a hack at best when it comes to cooking, but one of our favorites is grilled shrimp.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• grilldad
    Options
    That looks tasty!
    Orlando, Hunters Creek  FL with a XL "I gave my BGE Chantix but it just wont quit smokin...."

"Not a Chef, but I love to cook.. Sometimes I get a hug and sometimes my wife says unrepeatable things in another language....."
  • etherdome
    Options
    Rib roast. Hands down..
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Two of the best things I have had an an Eggfest was Tri-Tip that Dr.BBQ did.  It was INCREDIBLE.   And Egret's Ham...WOW!  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/788902/finding-egrets-ham-receipe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I second the advice of @WeberWho make a different appetizer

there'll surely be lots of people doing pulled pork ribs and brisket, do something to set yourself apart from the rest of the crowd
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, unmentioned though is meatloaf.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• gonepostal
    Options
    grilldad said:
    Sounds perfect, spent some time in Kenosha years ago and I miss the little mom and pop bars that always had a buffet, usually with Brats 
    I have made 2 road trips to Milwaukee from Bama for a music festival and stopped in Kenosha both times. Hit up a place not too far off the interstate called the Brat Stop. It was always full of locals and had a pretty cool store on the side with fresh brats and cheese. I remember the brats being so much better than what i get in the grocery stores around here. They ship. Thanks for the reminder! Good memories man...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • grilldad
    Options
    I agree with all of the above, unmentioned though is meatloaf.
    100% agree anybody have a great meatloaf recipe they wanna share?
    Orlando, Hunters Creek  FL with a XL "I gave my BGE Chantix but it just wont quit smokin...."

"Not a Chef, but I love to cook.. Sometimes I get a hug and sometimes my wife says unrepeatable things in another language....."
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
  • HoosierBBQ
    Options
    Picanha for me. Also, I see you’re in Hunter’s Creek area. I work just up the street off John Young, let me know when you’re firing up the egg for lunch!

Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • grilldad
    Options
    Picanha for me. Also, I see you’re in Hunter’s Creek area. I work just up the street off John Young, let me know when you’re firing up the egg for lunch!

Will do! That looks tasty :)