Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finding Egrets Ham Receipe

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where do I go to find Egrets Ham Receipe? Is it as good as is stated on the this website?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks

Procedure :

The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Just search the forum and you'll get hundreds of hits and yes it is good. Here it is for you.

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 Lbs. Cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 Tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Procedure :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
    2 locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    3 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
    5 can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Cooking
    1 Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid
    2 attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised
    3 grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).
    4 I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.
  • Mickey
    Options
    It is VERY good and easy.
    Just did my 5th one on Christmas and used the bone last night in butter beans ;)

This last one was a Cooks Sprial Cut and that is what i will do from now on.
    I worked the syrup in with my fingers and it was better to me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a try this weekend. If you have tried this, does the syrup make it too sweet?
  • Mickey
    Options
    No, not at all.
    I do use Grade B syrup. Use B as I am told it has more flavor.

• Louisiana Redneck
    Options
    Thanks, Mickey
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I bet that was delicious!! So you're just using the dried lima beans and the ham bone? Are you adding anything else? I just picked up 2 bags of dried lima beans last week and was trying to figure out what to do with them. I've always used frozen.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Yes it is a good one! BTW here's a suggestion I posted the other day about how to tent it for overnight.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=785509&catid=1#
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J_ Rod
    J_ Rod Posts: 18
    Options
    I was going to do a ham for new year's day and have been looking for a recipe. I will definitely try this one.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Mickey, I assume you are saying you just worked the Maple Syrup "marinade" in between the slices rather than injecting. Did you rest it overnight and otherwise follow the recipe?

I did a Mash ham for Christmas (my first Egret ham) and it was great. Kinda hard to slice, though - still had a big chunk of skin near the bone over about 1/4 of the ham. Tasted great, though. Seems like a spiral cut would be easier to slice and serve.

Happy New Year !
  • Mickey
    Options
    Clark just like you said and overnight and the Maple-Bourbon Paste . The sliced was easier to work with and to cut.
    Last year Cooks Country or Illistrated ran a story and picked Cooks Ham at the top.
    I forgot I did a sliced year before last and tried to inject - just did not work out. This time worked in with fingers and it did not run out.

• Mickey
    Options
    Anne just a whole onion, a couple tablespoons of Maple Syrup, salt, pepper,and cumin (?spelling). A can of chicken broth. Add water to cover 3 inches.
    I do not soak beans overnight, can't find it helps.

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Thanks Mickey!! I'll have to give that a try. Sounds great!!!
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    Bump
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @alaskanassasin good bump, I'm cooking two hams tomorrow for Easter!
    LBGE
    AL
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    It was requested by swmbo. Looking forward to it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Now I need to get that ham out of the freezer.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    This "Meathead' recipe came in my inbox, will try it tomorrow.

Amazing Ribs . com 

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you say “mickey” 3 times while looking in a mirror, he will come over and cook it for you. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,037
    Options
    If you say “mickey” 3 times while looking in a mirror, he will come over and cook it for you. 
    Instructions followed.  How long do I wait and does he bring his own ham?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    Options
    Instructions followed.  How long do I wait and does he bring his own ham?
    Yes, and a couple fifths of Johnny Walker Red and Black and a few other bottles  - since as a retired car dealer Mick really likes to surprise AND please folks! Talk about a class act even before that term was coined...
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    How many times do I have to say it for him to show up with Johnny Walker Blue?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    How many times do I have to say it for him to show up with Johnny Walker Blue?
    Shhhhhhh, don’t go spoiling Mick’s surprises!