Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats the best thing you ever cooked on your EGG?

Options
Hi Everyone, New to the forum and just got my first egg XL. While there are tons of recipes floating around, I was wondering what is the best thing you ever cooked on your egg? If you care to share along with recipe and tips, please post it! To start it off here is a link to my best cook yet (In the 3 weeks since I bought my egg :) https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1215795/new-egghead-first-attempt-stuffed-pizza 
Thanks everyone, looking forward to many more cooks!
Orlando, Hunters Creek  FL with a XL "I gave my BGE Chantix but it just wont quit smokin...."

"Not a Chef, but I love to cook.. Sometimes I get a hug and sometimes my wife says unrepeatable things in another language....."

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    To be totally honest, my favorite by far is simple bratwurst from a local meat market her in Sheboygan.  I've made great brisket, pulled pork, steak, pizza, chicken, (I'm not a fan of my ribs), but it always comes down to my old standard.  Growing up in Sheboygan, Brats on a Sheboygan hard roll are the way of life.  I will say this, how you cook them is more important than where you get them, Meisfelds, Johnsonville, Poth, or homemade, you must never par-boil a brat, to me that just isn't right.

• grilldad
    Options
    Sounds perfect, spent some time in Kenosha years ago and I miss the little mom and pop bars that always had a buffet, usually with Brats 
    Orlando, Hunters Creek  FL with a XL "I gave my BGE Chantix but it just wont quit smokin...."

"Not a Chef, but I love to cook.. Sometimes I get a hug and sometimes my wife says unrepeatable things in another language....."
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Burgers, steak for me.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Meatloaf, I make some stupid good meatloaf. Oh, and ribs...yeah that's the ticket, ribs. Or maybe spatch chicken, or....
  • grilldad
    Options
    Lol, love meatloaf - care to share that recipe?

• BobDanger
    Options
    ABT’s
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Welcome!! This thread should last a while.

The best thing I have ever made was and is a full pork butt. It may also be the easiest.

More importantly is how an egg improves normal food, like the meatloaf mentioned above, or, a spatchcocked chicken, a take and bake pizza, pork chops, burgers, etc.

If you already grill a good steak get ready to amaze yourself.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Ribs. Pork & Beef.

Got a rack of spares smoking now.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Cedar plank salmon for me.  So good that I repeat about every two weeks.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Cedar plank salmon, chicken livers wrapped in bacon, sprinkled with brown sugar!  
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Pork belly burnt ends with Malcolm Reeds recipe
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Split decision between spare ribs and maple bacon. I’m fine with either :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I cooked some pineapple slices sprinkled with DP Pineapple Head tonight. Sorry, can’t seem to get past that. The Pokechoops wern’t bad either. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Just some of the greatest hits...
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I see a follow-on thread coming: “what’s the best thing you have ever cooked on your egg that your cholesterol can accommodate?” :D
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My maple and butter glazed salmon smoked on the egg.  My sister said I should open my own restaurant and sell that one item!!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RiverBBQ
    Options
    Pork butt, it’s too easy to get perfect. I’ve had a bunch of great cooks but this is the automatic. Chicken thighs are #2
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Totally nailed a brisket for a tailgate. I may never hit one that perfect again but that's ok. I did once. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Probably pork tenderloin rubbed with Green Chile Rub, cooked raised direct to medium, and glazed with the syrup from sweet pickled jalapeños.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Like many others above, most of my favorites are "standards," and the reason they're standards is because they're so good!  

Reverse Seared Steak:
    I've never had a steak in a restaurant as good as one I've reverse seared in my BGE.  I cook it low and slow around 250° (usually direct with pretty frequent flipping, but indirect would be better -- I'm just lazy and don't feel like messing with the plate setter) till it's around 115° or just a little more, then take it out, crank the Egg up to 600°-650°, put it back and sear it direct for only about a minute a side.  When it's 650°, a minute will do it, but it won't cook the interior much at all.

Ribs:
    I've made several different styles of St. Louis Cut ribs, but I always smoke them indirect, usually around 275°, till they pass the "bend test" (the rack will bend 90° if you let it hang grabbed by several ribs on one end) or the "toothpick test" (it goes in very easily, almost "like buttah"), NEVER by how much time!  I also never foil them, though some here prefer to smoke them 3h, foil them with some liquid for 1h, then smoke them 1 more hour unfoiled.  One of my very favorite sauces is from the Smoke and Spice cookbook, Bourbon-glazed Ribs.  Someone here posted the recipe.

Pork Butt:
    You'll see lots of recipes.  I don't do a lot, just smoke it at around 275° with a rub (one of many -- "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" is good, so is Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust, but I've used several).  As with most low-and-slow cooks, you don't cook to how much time, but by testing it to see if it's tender enough by poking it with a thermometer or something.  If it goes in "like buttah," it's done.  Then I pull it, and use a little Elder Ward's Traditional North Carolina style vinegar sauce, put a little cole slaw on the sandwich.  Really simple, really good.

Spatchcock Chicken:
    Super simple.  I often just do salt and pepper, a little olive oil, no smoke wood, just the charcoal indirect and pretty hot (400° or so), but people here get great results at lower temps, and raised direct.  The key as always is not overcooking it!  Use a Thermapen to check, and pull it when the breasts are 155°-160°, and the thighs are 165° or higher.

"Gulf Coast Shrimp":
    In this case, it's not shrimp from the Gulf Coast, but the name of a specific Steve Raichlen recipe, and MAN it's GOOD!!!  Best shrimp I've ever had!

Dakkochi (Korean-style grilled chicken skewers):
    This one's a little fancier, but it's REALLY GOOD!  @Richard Fl first posted about it, but the original recipe apparently was posted on Barbecue Brethren.

I've made a whole bunch of other stuff, but I think these are my favorites, and most of them are really, really simple, basic stuff!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Beef!  Tri tip, steak, ribs, prime rib.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    Don't have my own pictures but this is pretty high up there:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1202609/smoked-chili-finally-a-technique-that-yields-bge-flavors-in-my-bowl/p1

Also bbq pizza, lamb gyros, bread pudding, brisket, chargrilled oysters, jambalaya, crab au gratin.... I can't choose!
    LBGE
    AL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Year after year of Thanksgiving's having the Bird and ham come off at the same time. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hands down my favorite meal as I can nail this every time I fix it...the name doesn't do it justice...but it has been my favorite meal that I have fixed for the two of us on MY birthday, plus at least 2 other times at least during a year. How often you ask?...for no less than the last 25 years! The recipe is simply called "flank steak",

My second choice is filets and potato balls served in Bernaise sauce.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kelso
    Kelso Posts: 79
    Options
    Prime Rib following the Nibble Me This recipe.  I've done it 3 times now, usually for Christmas dinner, and it has been perfect every time.  Love it!

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2011/12/reverse-seared-prime-rib-roast.html
    XL and a MM.  

League City, Texas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Bacon wrapped filet mignon.   Wow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    I enjoy the challenge of every brisket cook and every so often I nail one.  
    Also a paella with the soccarat just right is high on the list.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grilldad
    Options
    Now I have a lot of cookin to do :) That is some phenomenal looking food and recipes, thanks to everyone for sharing! Next up gonna try jalapeno stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken thighs