Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max or Small

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    For those of you who may be on Facebook, I started a FB group for MiniMax owners earlier this week. Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• cookingdude555
    Options
    For those of you who may be on Facebook, I started a FB group for MiniMax owners earlier this week. Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group.
    Options

I still think of this forum as my home. But its nice to have a group dedicated to the MiniMax.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    I have a L and a MM. Absolutely love the MM. I took it on vacation this year and it was just a workhorse. We used it every single day. 8lb pork butt came out perfectly and yes, it'll fit. And this little thing is just a searing machine. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've got 4 or 5 butts in the freezer. I was planning on doing a couple on the LBGE early next Week, But after reading your post I may do one on the MM instead. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Do any of you MM owners ever feel like the Lump is too close to the grid?  I keep trying to justify a MM but every time I go in and look at them I see how short they are and all I think of is how can you possibly cook on it without charring everything.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Do any of you MM owners ever feel like the Lump is too close to the grid?  I keep trying to justify a MM but every time I go in and look at them I see how short they are and all I think of is how can you possibly cook on it without charring everything.
    @TEXASBGE2018, yes I do feel that way every time that I use it.  This is one of the reasons I liked my small better.  I had a raised grid on the small and it took the food higher.  The mini max is truly a bigger mini instead of a smaller small.  The small behaves more like its bigger siblings.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018, yes I do feel that way every time that I use it.  This is one of the reasons I liked my small better.  I had a raised grid on the small and it took the food higher.  The mini max is truly a bigger mini instead of a smaller small.  The small behaves more like its bigger siblings.  

Ya this was my reason for not getting one yet. I'm not going to take it camping because I would be way too afraid it would get damaged hitting a bump on the road or something. For Camping its hard to beat a Jumbo Joe. My dad just got a small Charbroil infared gas table top grill that I was super impressed with. It got to 500 degrees in about 5minutes. I would use a MM or Small or even a medium to cook sides, desserts, or breads at home and use my Large for the proteins.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Not really. I use a Woo on mine that raises the grate up to the level of the gasket. Plus, I have found the MM to be so efficient in the use of lump that I don't load it up. It doesn't really need a full load unless you are maybe doing a long cook and I usually will use the large for longer cooks.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I load up the lump right to the cooking grid and have no problem as far as to much char. You can get a woo from CGS for the MM I use 3 fire brick pieces that I cut to the same curve of the MM to raise the grid.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• 714egghead
    Options
    I sold my small to get the mini max.  If I had to do it again I would not have done it.  I learned that I can replace the fire grate in the small with a wider diameter fire grate (like the mini max) and it runs like the mini max does.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206536/my-small-is-a-mini-max-cross-dresser

I have bought myself a kamado joe jr for christmas (exact dimensions of the small bge).  The mini max is a less functional version of the small.  My beef with the small was always performance.  Since I learned how to fix it, I wish I had it still.

how do you like your joe jr?

thinking of buying a joe jr or a vision cadet to hold me down till next eggfest when I plant to try and buy a mm.

XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Tom is your friend. Can raise grid above felt line. Plenty of room and I cook mostly direct on my MM.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Tom is your friend. Can raise grid above felt line. Plenty of room and I cook mostly direct on my MM.

See I would think cooking in the configuration you show right there that you would have major flare ups and burn up the outside of anything before it even finished cooking. The lump is like 3” below the grid.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018

I agree that that would be the first impression. But it hasn't been the reality for me. I mostly use my MM for grilling and flare ups have not been a problem. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I have the raised woo from CGS for my MM. it’s a marginal lift over stock. 

I sold my small to get the mini max.  If I had to do it again I would not have done it.  I learned that I can replace the fire grate in the small with a wider diameter fire grate (like the mini max) and it runs like the mini max does.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206536/my-small-is-a-mini-max-cross-dresser

I have bought myself a kamado joe jr for christmas (exact dimensions of the small bge).  The mini max is a less functional version of the small.  My beef with the small was always performance.  Since I learned how to fix it, I wish I had it still.

how do you like your joe jr?

thinking of buying a joe jr or a vision cadet to hold me down till next eggfest when I plant to try and buy a mm.

The KJjr is going to be a present for me for Christmas, from me. So I haven’t tried it, yet. But it’s dimensiosn are identical to the small egg. 
  • Srf_in_Dfw
    Options
    Not really. I use a Woo on mine that raises the grate up to the level of the gasket. Plus, I have found the MM to be so efficient in the use of lump that I don't load it up. It doesn't really need a full load unless you are maybe doing a long cook and I usually will use the large for longer cooks.
    Same. Woo makes it a grilling machine. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

See I would think cooking in the configuration you show right there that you would have major flare ups and burn up the outside of anything before it even finished cooking. The lump is like 3” below the grid.
    That is very similar to distance from fire to protein as the mini.  You can alter it by using less lump.  About the only thing that the closeness causes is when cooking indirect.  The Stone gets hot and will scorch the bottom of the protein.  I’ve found on the mini to run lower temps and flip when cooking indirect.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    If you like the size of the small but want the portability of a MM, consider a KJ jr. 

Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options

Ya this was my reason for not getting one yet. I'm not going to take it camping because I would be way too afraid it would get damaged hitting a bump on the road or something. For Camping its hard to beat a Jumbo Joe. My dad just got a small Charbroil infared gas table top grill that I was super impressed with. It got to 500 degrees in about 5minutes. I would use a MM or Small or even a medium to cook sides, desserts, or breads at home and use my Large for the proteins.
    Real you are worried about a bump on the road? That MM is as strong as any BGE! Why do people think they are as fragile as a chicken egg?

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Real you are worried about a bump on the road? That MM is as strong as any BGE! Why do people think they are as fragile as a chicken egg?
    Ya if I hit a bump on the road and destroyed a $600 ceramic cooker I would be pissed at myself. Maybe it’s not that delicate but I just wouldn’t want to take a chance. 

• Jupiter Jim
    Options

Ya if I hit a bump on the road and destroyed a $600 ceramic cooker I would be pissed at myself. Maybe it’s not that delicate but I just wouldn’t want to take a chance. 
    Ok I have been taking a Small BGE on the road since 2012 in a motor home hatch and have had NO problems at all. Have transported several BGE's in the back of a pick up truck strapped into a corner of the truck and nothing has broken. I take my small and put it in a basement hatch in the motor home lump, Kick ash basket, fire box and fire ring. Trust me the motor home is NOT a smooth ride for us humans and anything inside it. Please believe me any BGE is much tougher than you think. Oh and if something cracks you have a lifetime warranty so what is the worry?  

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Ok I have been taking a Small BGE on the road since 2012 in a motor home hatch and have had NO problems at all. Have transported several BGE's in the back of a pick up truck strapped into a corner of the truck and nothing has broken. I take my small and put it in a basement hatch in the motor home lump, Kick ash basket, fire box and fire ring. Trust me the motor home is NOT a smooth ride for us humans and anything inside it. Please believe me any BGE is much tougher than you think. Oh and if something cracks you have a lifetime warranty so what is the worry?  
    And I've have an XL on my deck, never in a truck or motor home, and have had the base swapped twice, replaced the fire box once, fire ring twice, plate setter once. The XXL on the patio has had the base replaced once. My Small that has never traveled has a cracked fire box I haven't replaced it yet. Travel has nothing to do with it. Either they crack or they don't.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    DMW said:

And I've have an XL on my deck, never in a truck or motor home, and have had the base swapped twice, replaced the fire box once, fire ring twice, plate setter once. The XXL on the patio has had the base replaced once. My Small that has never traveled has a cracked fire box I haven't replaced it yet. Travel has nothing to do with it. Either they crack or they don't.
    Yes that is my POINT! at several eggfest I have cooled demo eggs with COLD water to cool them off so the new owner could take them home, Big Green Eggs are very Tough...…………. 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:

Yes that is my POINT! at several eggfest I have cooled demo eggs with COLD water to cool them off so the new owner could take them home, Big Green Eggs are very Tough...…………. 
    Kinda like you digging diversion trenches around your place in preparation for Florence.  You tough guy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

Kinda like you digging diversion trenches around your place in preparation for Florence.  You tough guy!

No BGE tough guy! me just hopefully smart about water flowing down hill!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @TEXASBGE2018 the lump is close to the grid, you just need to carefully control the heat. I tend to fire up, leave 10 minutes then open the lid and shut the vent to spread the fire across the lump, then shut the lid, set the vent at around 3/4" and let it settle. There are always hotter and colder areas, which is magnified by the food being close to the lump, but I just move the food around accordingly. The MMX heats up fast and uses hardly any lump - it's nice to cook on the XL with loads of space on the grill, but it takes longer to warm up and burns a lot of lump. The MMX gets used 10:1 over the XL.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    When I travel with my eggs, I put a piece of cardboard under the firebox, one under the ring and one between the base & dome.  Prolly overkill, but the roads here in Michigan are the worst in the nation.
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I place my mM in the back sear, belt it in. 50+ trips (many 8-10 hours) zero issues. 

Cooking capability; (using bge ps legs up) 2 whole beef tenderloins, together, perfect, no charring at BB18 last April. Seemed to work out fine to everyone there. (Could have gotten a third if needed)

Cooked plenty without BGE PS, and had no problems, or no charring. Learn to use it, you will be amazed at what this BGE can do.

Those that can't cook close to a fire, or cook with a controlled temperature, by all means, get a small or other type cooker.

I would definitely replace my mM. It is an awesome cooker and I have cooked for many folks using it.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I place my mM in the back sear, belt it in. 50+ trips (many 8-10 hours) zero issues. 

Belt it in good. The last thing you want in a collision is 80 pounds of ceramic flying at your head from the back seat.  =)
    MiniMax 04/17

• gasman79
    Options
    What do y’all use the small and the MM for? Is it mainly for traveling/tailgating?

I have a XL and a medium and find the medium to be pretty much the right size for us (family of 5). My wife refuses to let me sit and continue to grill in shifts for food.