Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Chiminea.

Options

Comments

• RalphieBoy
    Options
    Great job
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    Looking good!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Cool thread Kevin B!  Glad it's working out for you.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Why not just paint over the black?
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Small nylon brush, steel wool, lacquer thinner, rags, elbow grease.  

The base is giving me more issues as the paint is tougher to come off. My assumption is because it’s baked on more. I’m sure over the next day or so I’ll have it shining like it’s 1996 again. 
    I haven't used any paint stripper in many years but I once had a project that had a somewhat pebbly surface  and some long ridges of varying depth. The stripper I used was one of the gel types that you let sit for awhile. I knew that a plastic scraper wasn't going to work well so I went to the pet store and bought a bag of compressed wood shavings that are sold to be used in hamster or gerbil cages or whatever.

Put on a rubber glove and grab a handful of those shavings and I was pretty amazed at how well I was able to rub off the paint in all the little nooks and crannies. Don't know how well the shavings might work with just lacquer thinner but might be worth a go.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Just goes to show you how much BS advice you get from people here speculating on chemistry and mechanical engineering.  Don't get me wrong, there are some brilliant people here, but the peanut gallery is collectively nuts.

As @blasting said, a solvent.  Organic solvents don't dissolve ceramics.  Some paint removers use organic solvents and some have the very effective ingredient "methylene chloride"  (always look for that in paint removers). 

Never use an acidic or caustic on ceramic.

Paint remover or other solvent: Try whatever you use on a small area for adverse effects, then apply according to instructions.  Never leave any chemical on longer than necessary.

To debunk some of the BS:

1. paint over it:  bad idea, it's peeling.  The new paint is as good as the substrate
    2. solvent will soak into the ceramic:  who gives a F*ck, it's a chiminea.  Plus the heat will drive out the solvent.
    3. glaze is crazing: adds character, and that's all BGE products that are that old.
    4. steel wool:  turns glaze matt
    5. blast it with soft abrasive:  not a bad idea, although it might knock off some chips, would not try that first

Anyway, good find, nice work.
    (troll troll troll)
    Options
    Just goes to show you how much BS advice you get from people here speculating on chemistry and mechanical engineering.  Don't get me wrong, there are some brilliant people here, but the peanut gallery is collectively nuts.

As @blasting said, a solvent.  Organic solvents don't dissolve ceramics.  Some paint removers use organic solvents and some have the very effective ingredient "methylene chloride"  (always look for that in paint removers). 

Paint remover or other solvent: Try whatever you use on a small area for adverse effects, then apply according to instructions.  Never leave any chemical on longer than necessary.

1. paint over it:  bad idea, it's peeling.  The new paint is as good as the substrate
    2. solvent will soak into the ceramic:  who gives a F*ck, it's a chiminea.  Plus the heat will drive out the solvent.
    3. glaze is crazing: adds character, and that's all BGE products that are that old.
    5. blast it with soft abrasive:  not a bad idea, although it might knock off some chips, would not try that first

(troll troll troll)
    Easy to pick the winning team after the game is over. But I agree.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

(troll troll troll)
    Easy to pick the winning team after the game is over. But I agree.
    Agreed! I had so many options and ideas on how to remove this or why I shouldn't even attempt to remove it. What I'm currently doing seems to be working but you never know until it's all said and done.  
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • Kevinboatright
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Why not just paint over the black?
    I wanted the original look of the chiminea and to see if there was anything wrong with the original paint/glaze which so far I'm seeing 0 issues. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Flint, Michigan
  • Kevinboatright
    Options

This is Hilarious!!!!! 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    When did they stop making these things?  I swear when I bought my egg in 2011 they were still selling these but I’ve had a lot of beer since then and not completely sure.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    When did they stop making these things?  I swear when I bought my egg in 2011 they were still selling these but I’ve had a lot of beer since then and not completely sure.  
    Many dealers had them sitting around the store for years. They didn't exactly sell very well 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited September 2018
    Options
    The base is seeming to be a different beast than the cap and cone but I’m getting there. I gotta figure out a way to get in the grooves better. The inside lip came out very shiney though. 

Atlanta, GA 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Wondering who among us has one of these most elusive of unicorns...  I, for one, have one.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Wondering who among us has one of these most elusive of unicorns...  I, for one, have one.
    +1
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    +1
    Me for one gave up and built this unit for burning the numerous sticks & twigs I have to burn that I pick up every week. That's a lot better than where I used to pile in an out of sight area.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    TN_Egger said:
    +1
    Me for one gave up and built this unit for burning the numerous sticks & twigs I have to burn that I pick up every week. That's a lot better than where I used to pile in an out of sight area.

I put my fire pit in the shed this spring and haven't seen it since. It has just rained all summer. I'm hoping it stops for a bit before the snow starts, can't really beat sitting out by a fire.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Put one of these on your drill if you don’t have air tools. “3m roloc bristle disc”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The base is seeming to be a different beast than the cap and cone but I’m getting there. I gotta figure out a way to get in the grooves better. The inside lip came out very shiney though. 
    The suggestion above about using the cedar chips might work well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited September 2018
    Options

I would avoid any abrasives.  To get into those valleys with abrasives, you're gonna damage the peaks.  If you can't get it with solvent, I'd go with media blasting - either soda, or walnut shells would work.  You're situation is a perfect candidate, since the base enamel is so much harder than what you're trying to remove.  

Phoenix 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Looks like you are making really good progress. I admire your handiwork. This thing is gonna look like new before you know it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    blasting said:
    I need whatever is being done in  that 2nd video to be done on my pool. What’s it called?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    caliking said:
    I need whatever is being done in  that 2nd video to be done on my pool. What’s it called?
    Soda blasting
  • blasting
    Options
    caliking said:
    blasting said:

Top video is walnut shells.  Pool vid is a product called max strip.  I think soda would be a good, gentle choice for OP.

Phoenix 
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I think I’ll try a different type of solvent and brush combo before going to soda blasting. 

Any idea what it would cost to blast something like this? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• epcotisbest
    Options

Sad to admit that when I first saw this I missed it completely and just wondered what the heck was funny. Then, while on the way home today the oldies station played "Paint it Black," and it hit me. I plead old and slow.
  • blasting
    Options
    I think I’ll try a different type of solvent and brush combo before going to soda blasting. 

Any idea what it would cost to blast something like this? 

Probably 80-100 if you bring it to them.

Personally i did little stuff like that for free or a bottle, providing the customer could wait for me to be set up doing a big job.  I was mobile, so the set up took the time.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options

Sad to admit that when I first saw this I missed it completely and just wondered what the heck was funny. Then, while on the way home today the oldies station played "Paint it Black," and it hit me. I plead old and slow.
    Same boat here, didn't get it till this post.........I plead extremely old and slow
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian