Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Chiminea.

Kevinboatright
Kevinboatright Posts: 278
edited September 2018 in EggHead Forum
Happy Labor Day! 

I need to know if I just got a great deal or a dud. 

From what I was told by the sellers, this was purchased by them at the original corporate Big Green Egg store in Atlanta. They apparently painted it black (BGE approved paint) along with their large BGE. You can see the green glaze under the black paint. All original parts but they have never been able to find a tall stand like the one pictured. I’ve also posted pictures off all the markings I can find. Any insight would be great and any idea what these cost? 

Inside the base.

Bottom exterior of the base.

Inside the damper cap. 

Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The "part" missing is what you paid for it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

• Atlanta, GA 

• Nice find, but personally I would never trust that spindly stand.
    I agree especially with 2 dogs running around. I think these will fit into a large nest so that will be my next purchase. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Like the black more than the green.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Like the black more than the green.
    I prefer the Green. I’m going to figure out a way to get the black off without damaging the green underneath this fall 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    I'm not sure if you got a good deal since you didn't mention the price, but any BGE chiminea for sale is rare, so if you're happy, enjoy.  I'd love to have one as well.  Nice find!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Like the black more than the green.
    I prefer the Green. I’m going to figure out a way to get the black off without damaging the green underneath this fall 
    The green underneath is from the fired ceramic, while the black is paint and could be removed, BUT your 4th picture reveals probably "crazing" meaning the fired ceramic has been damaged and you most likely will never remove the black in those spider webs. After a lot of effort you may end up with a weird looking surface on your chiminea and wish you had never tried to remove it. Besides that you may find large spots where the green ceramic has flaked off - and the reason the OO decided to paint it. Granted it's your piece and do with it as you wish! Good Luck!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I did find out more information from the seller. 
    They purchased it in 1996-1997,  They painted it with Rustoleum heat resistant paint to match other stuff on their patio (including their Large BGE). 

Anybody have any idea how to remove the paint now that I have a better idea of what it is? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I'm happy and envious of your find.
    You should be too and leave it at that. You have a rare BGE Chiminea. Yes, it was painted black. Live with it I would recommend. Ceramic is porous and what ever chemical you use to strip the Black Paint will soak into the Egg. The original finish is a ceramic glaze and it has Crazing.

It's not water tight and what ever you use WILL soak into the ceramic. I can't imagine a natural stripper that would remove the high heat Rustolium.
    And you would probably never get it all out of the Crazing lines.
    Man, just be happy for what it is. Completely agree with @RRP

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Nice find, but personally I would never trust that spindly stand.
    I agree especially with 2 dogs running around. I think these will fit into a large nest so that will be my next purchase. 
    got a large nest sitting empty in shop looking for a good home
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Cool finds.  

You might look into local soda blasters.  The baked green enamel is much harder than the surface black paint.  Select the right media, I'd suggest soda, and the right pressure - blast all you want without damaging the green below.  

Phoenix 
  • blasting said:

Cool finds.  

You might look into local soda blasters.  The baked green enamel is much harder than the surface black paint.  Select the right media, I'd suggest soda, and the right pressure - blast all you want without damaging the green below.  

I found a local shop that does dry-ice blasting I wonder if that would work. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Go to any hardware store or auto parts store and get some lacquer thinner. That's likely spray can black paint and will wipe right off, just use gloves. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    blasting said:

Cool finds.  

If you’re hell bent on a green chimnea, you’d be better off selling that one and buying a green one. It’ll likely be cheaper at the end of the day. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

Cool finds.  

What ever experimenting you do, do it on the ceramic cap. It can be replaced.
    That’s the best advice anyone can give you. 
  • hell i would be happy to buy a black one or yellow one even a damn pink one
  • Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

Cool finds.  

I was thinking I would do the bottom of the base first. The #2 picture. no-one would ever notice it, if it came out awful. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

Cool finds.  

I was thinking I would do the bottom of the base first. The #2 picture. no-one would ever notice it, if it came out awful. 

The bottom is not enameled. So the result will not be the same as on the enameled green surface.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg said:
    blasting said:

Cool finds.  

The bottom is not enameled. So the result will not be the same as on the enameled green surface.
    The Cap it is then! 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg said:
    I'm happy and envious of your find.
    You should be too and leave it at that. You have a rare BGE Chiminea. Yes, it was painted black. Live with it I would recommend. Ceramic is porous and what ever chemical you use to strip the Black Paint will soak into the Egg. The original finish is a ceramic glaze and it has Crazing.

It's not water tight and what ever you use WILL soak into the ceramic. I can't imagine a natural stripper that would remove the high heat Rustolium.
    And you would probably never get it all out of the Crazing lines.
    Man, just be happy for what it is. Completely agree with @RRP

I agree to a point.....but what's the worst that happens? I have to re-paint it black again because I couldn't get it spotless? If that's the case I'm in the same spot I am now.  Or I just have a really unique looking old BGE Chiminea. 
    Atlanta, GA 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Lacquer thinner won’t hurt the ceramic. But what the hell do I know.  B)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Paint your Egg black to match  it.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• If you have a strong air compressor you could visit Harbor Freight and get the fine walnut shell media and a cheapo abrasive gun.
    Gittin' there...
  • Update: I spent about 1.5 hours today and was able to get the cone and cap looking amazing! I’m so happy and thrilled with the results. The base is giving me some issues due to the deeper grooves. This will require more time and a different brush/rag to use to get the paint off completely.

Atlanta, GA 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Update: I spent about 1.5 hours today and was able to get the cone and cap looking amazing! I’m so happy and thrilled with the results. The base is giving me some issues due to the deeper grooves. This will require more time and a different brush/rag to use to get the paint off completely.

Looks great. Happy you are getting good results.
    What did you end up using to strip it?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited September 2018
    Small nylon brush, steel wool, lacquer thinner, rags, elbow grease.  

The base is giving me more issues as the paint is tougher to come off. My assumption is because it’s baked on more. I’m sure over the next day or so I’ll have it shining like it’s 1996 again. 
    Atlanta, GA