Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table restoration project

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Nice new finish. If you’ll allow me to play armchair quarterback for a moment... please center that egg in the hole. There isn’t much of a gap on the right side. You might also consider an air gap at the base. I’d hate to read about a fire. 
  • Kent8621
    Options
    great work, but I have to second the above, you need an airgap for safety, toss the paver out and create some sort of air gap.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I have a few questions

I assume you did not take it apart to sand it? How did you get in the cracks?

What stain and finish did you use? I like the look

For those saying create and create an air gap and don't use a paver: have any photo examples?
    Boom
  • Kent8621
    Options
    I am having issue's attaching pictures.  Google image search big green egg table nest and that is an example.  that is what I have personally. 

Boiler Up!!

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    The egg is centered in the table now, this photo was taken right when I placed her back in her home. 

Those of you speaking of this gap.. what do you suggest? And what is the purpose? I’ve used a cement block for 7ish years now without issues. 

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have a few questions

I assume you did not take it apart to sand it? How did you get in the cracks?

What stain and finish did you use? I like the look

For those saying create and create an air gap and don't use a paver: have any photo examples?
    I just sanded the best I could between boards... majority of the previous mess was gone, the rest got stained and poly’d Over. 

Let me look for the stain I used... I think I have a pic. 

I used this stain then came back with 2 coats of poly afterwards. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am a belt and suspenders type of guy, and I take safety to the extreme (excluding participation in forum sponsored events, i.e., Butt Blast, Wing Ding, etc.,).

That being said......

Any thought on moving the table and egg away from your house? I realize there would be a small chance of anything happening, but I prefer no chance vs. small chance to my home.

The restoration looks beautiful, I love the appearance and appreciate the hard work it took to making it look stellar.

Outstanding job.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kent8621
    Options
    so if you do the heat transfer math through concrete and through air, you need about 14" of concrete to get the same temperature drop as a 2" air gap.  I have the big green egg table nest, I know some people use clay pot feet as well.  that table nest to me is easy and simple, most dealers have them or can get them they are around $30.  your right using a paver works for an amount of time but it will weaken the wood over time and make it easier to burn.

Boiler Up!!

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    so if you do the heat transfer math through concrete and through air, you need about 14" of concrete to get the same temperature drop as a 2" air gap.  I have the big green egg table nest, I know some people use clay pot feet as well.  that table nest to me is easy and simple, most dealers have them or can get them they are around $30.  your right using a paver works for an amount of time but it will weaken the wood over time and make it easier to burn.
    Nice. I didn’t even know the table nest existed. I’ll check my local for it. 
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009