Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT — anyone switch to zoysia? — OT

Options
GREETINGS FRIENDS,

Oops 

i love working on the yard and mowing and everything that comes with it. Just curious if anyone converted their fescue to zoysia and how they feel about it now. We’re central North Carolina. 

Thanks!
8-D

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No. But I have converted to the Muhle R41 with outstanding results. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I’ve got zoysia. It’s great stuff for a warm season grass. Fescue is hard to beat in Greensboro though. 
  • etherdome
    Options
    All I've ever had is zoysia(emerald) and I love it.  Fertilize it 5-6 times a year, twice with a pre-emergent.  Keep it cut at about an inch or a little more and cut it once a week regardless of growth.  Literally looks like a golf course and I actually had several people visiting ask me if they could walk on it. lol. Also,  I don't use a reel mower but that is what is recommended for zoysia.  
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its only green up here for 3 months then turns brown the rest of the year.  i thought the whole idea with zoysiagrass was that you dont mow it often, it used to be advertised in magazines for fisherman that dont mow. i went with overgrown poison ivy and wild flowers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Love my zoysia, it's so thick and lush especially during hot/humid/wet summers like these. I also like how I can easily propagate it by taking plugs, I did this last year in an area where I pulled out a forsythia and this year you can't even tell the forsythia was there. The one downside is that it's a little abrasive to bear feet when dormant.  
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Options
     The one downside is that it's a little abrasive to bear feet when dormant.  
    I support our right to shoe sleeping bears.

Sorry. Couldn't stop myself. 
  • etherdome
    Options
    its only green up here for 3 months then turns brown the rest of the year.  i thought the whole idea with zoysiagrass was that you dont mow it often, it used to be advertised in magazines for fisherman that dont mow. i went with overgrown poison ivy and wild flowers
    Recommendations are set your mower to 1.5 inches. Mow when It gets to 2 inches. “Usually at 7-10 day intervals.” I can vouch for that .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I fought desperately to kill the Bermuda - it’s still here or there - isn’t this just a Bermuda varietal?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Les Miles....that is all.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Here in our area, it is labeled as invasive, which means, that it spreads as fast as it grows. Great stuff here as long as all your neighbors like it too. It does very well in hot humid environments.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MissingNOLA
    Options
    I have it in Raleigh, NC. Love it. My 3 dogs can’t damage and son loves playing ball back there. Easier to maintain than others
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    And I feel like once you start with it you can’t turn back....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I've had two zoysia lawns in Atlanta. Loved them. Cut them very short with a reel mower. The question is how much shade you have. If you're primarily sun/full sun you're good. If not, zoysia will thin within a year or two. And, mature trees with totally suck the moisture away from the zoysia too. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I've had two zoysia lawns in Atlanta. Loved them. Cut them very short with a reel mower. The question is how much shade you have. If you're primarily sun/full sun you're good. If not, zoysia will thin within a year or two. And, mature trees with totally suck the moisture away from the zoysia too. 
    part of our issue is combination sun/shade. A crepe Myrtle offers dappled shade over a good quarter of the yard. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I owned a sod installation company in Cary nc.  Zoysia is awesome its like a beaver pelt my favorite was Zeon zoysia.  
     Fescue was really hard to keep up with even with irrigation it’s really not ideal for that climate. 
     You can selectively trim your crepe myrtle back but don’t go crazy or “crepe murder” where you cut it back to the main leaders.  A good pruning done in February should be even, maybe 1/3 or a bit more of the plant  and should look great if done right.  Also you can create a mulch bed that is the circumference of the canopy of the tree if you can. 
      Finally there is a big difference in sod companys so if your going to diy drive to their office and look at it on pallets or if your using a landscaper have them give you a address where they installed the same variety so you can scope it out. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.