Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Biking

Comments

• U_tarded said:

Nice stash.  Moutain bike forums are worse than this place for wallet genocide.  I’ve only got like 200 miles on mine and it will be slow until it cools off a bit, but I’m already eyeing a yeti fs they have at the LBS because I spend too much time looking at bikes and trail videos on YouTube.
    I've got the Yeti SB6 and its a sweet bike. I go to the Tribe Gathering in Colorado, its the only time the suspension comes close to maxing out! 
    SB66 rider here.  Haven't been to the Tribe since it was in Minturn - that's my old stomping grounds for a couple of decades so it was fun to hang there and see old and new friends...
    I live in Minnesota, we have some great trails, but nothing like Colorado
    The Gatherings are a blast, some of the most beautiful trails I've ever carried my bike up!
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    googled my first road bike, wish i still had it.  schwinn supersport  in sunset orange, with a kickstand, the short fenders, the dropdown AND crossbar brakes B)  back when you only needed ten speeds =) this one even has the black brooks saddle like the one i had

@fi@fishlessman
    My first road bike was also Schwinn Supersport. Then Schwinn Traveller, then Cannondale SR 700, then Litespeed Catalyst - no new bikes for 20+ years.

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Finally got back out there this morning for an easy 10 mile 1k climb ride.  First ride in 6 weeks which is the longest I’ve gone without riding in over 5 years!

Helmet stickers compliments of my son.

• I'm toast. Did 20mi here in central Texas with the temps in the 100+ range. Drank my camelback dry and still lost 4lbs in a little over 2hrs.

Probably not too smart, but I'll sleep well tonight. 
    Gittin' there...
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    I ride a lot here in Albuquerque. 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm toast. Did 20mi here in central Texas with the temps in the 100+ range. Drank my camelback dry and still lost 4lbs in a little over 2hrs.

Where were you?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I'm toast. Did 20mi here in central Texas with the temps in the 100+ range. Drank my camelback dry and still lost 4lbs in a little over 2hrs.

@FearlessTheEggNoob - Not sure where you rode in the ATX I went at 8.00 AM and by 9.30 I was toast.  Of course likely 2 weeks off bike for work travel and vacation was also a likely culprit.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Plutonium said:
    I ride a lot here in Albuquerque. 

Very nice ride.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Cornholio said:
    Finally got back out there this morning for an easy 10 mile 1k climb ride.  First ride in 6 weeks which is the longest I’ve gone without riding in over 5 years!

I feel your pain this is the first time in years that I only ride 1 -2 days a week and no long rides as im still trying to fully recover. I use to ride 3-4 days a week and loved every minute of it. The question i have for you is now that your riding less do you find you have more time or less?
    I am riding on average 12 hours less a week then I use to and I find absolutely no extra time have no idea where it went

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Cornholio
    mlc2013 said:
    I feel your pain this is the first time in years that I only ride 1 -2 days a week and no long rides as im still trying to fully recover. I use to ride 3-4 days a week and loved every minute of it. The question i have for you is now that your riding less do you find you have more time or less?
    I am riding on average 12 hours less a week then I use to and I find absolutely no extra time have no idea where it went

No I do not have extra time, the slow down is due to having another kid and my toddler getting into swim lessons and pre-school.  I also find myself choosing to spend extra time that I could be using to ride to take the kids to Disneyland, the park etc.  That and I’m wiped out so motivating to ride has become tougher.  Just a combo of all those things but I know as my kids get older my wife and I will be able to take more time for ourselves and hopefully the kids want to ride too! 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    odie91 said:
    I'm just here to say, a good quality steel bike frame is the bees knees, and aluminum bikes suck.   Just saying ;)    Start flaming, it's friday =)
    I have a steel framed road bike, Reynolds 531 tubing, Campag groupset / brakes and gold Mavic wheels. 
  • frazzdaddy
    I have a 2008 Time Proteam in a size small available. SRAM red and Mavic Ksyrium wheels. Sub 15lbs. Climbs like a scared billygoat. Been hanging in the garage for 5 years now. Time for it to go. PM me if interested.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    Eoin said:
    odie91 said:
    I'm just here to say, a good quality steel bike frame is the bees knees, and aluminum bikes suck.   Just saying ;)    Start flaming, it's friday =)
    I have a steel framed road bike, Reynolds 531 tubing, Campag groupset / brakes and gold Mavic wheels. 
    Nothing wrong with a good steel bike. Had one I used for flat centuries, most comfy bike 
    I ever owned.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We switched from 2 wheels to 3 wheels

Setup when over 101 degrees

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • @xfire_ATX @SciAggie -- The OP Schnabel greenbelt in San Antonio. A fantastic resource for the folks that live in SA. Tons of trails to work out a favorite course. Lots of technical and HIIT opportunities to challenge old and new riders. Even has a paved path that parallels the trails so you can do your own spin class when you're ready to double back to the car.

Gittin' there...
  • xfire_ATX
    @xfire_ATX @SciAggie -- The OP Schnabel greenbelt in San Antonio. A fantastic resource for the folks that live in SA. Tons of trails to work out a favorite course. Lots of technical and HIIT opportunities to challenge old and new riders. Even has a paved path that parallels the trails so you can do your own spin class when you're ready to double back to the car.

I live West of Austin in a subdivision with 20+ miles of trails so I dont get out much.  My friend has this site with all the CTX trails on it which is a great resource.
    http://austinbike.com/index.php/west-of-austin

@SciAggie
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Cornholio
    Took the day off to ride and run some errands.  Did a little over 18 miles with 2100’ of climbing and saw a rattler along the way.

We had fires near us last fall so the terrain is still recovering.  

• mlc2013
    Cornholio
    maybe im must a city boy but if I see a rattler Im not taking pictures

Long Island NY    
  • Cornholio
    mlc2013 said:
    Cornholio
    maybe im must a city boy but if I see a rattler Im not taking pictures

Ha!  While I’m no city boy I’m definitely more of a suburb guy and grew up playing in these same hills.  I’ve been seeing these snakes my whole life and know to just give them space, closest call was stepping on one playing paintball back in the day.  They are way more afraid of us and want nothing to do with us nor waste venom on us.  Mountain lions spook me more.
  • mlc2013
    Cornholio now I have encountered mountain lions (someone thought it was a good idea to reintroduce them to mountain at my upstate house) and coidogs, that I can deal with but snakes hell no
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    glad to see you were able to get some saddle time in
    Long Island NY    
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Cornholio said:

A Muhle 41 would knock that beard down in one pass.
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    googled my first road bike, wish i still had it.  schwinn supersport  in sunset orange, with a kickstand, the short fenders, the dropdown AND crossbar brakes B)  back when you only needed ten speeds =) this one even has the black brooks saddle like the one i had

@fishlessman, I had a very similar bike for my first 10 speed! Mine was light blue but never had any fenders. It also had a brooks saddle. I rode that bike into the ground. I worked for a bike store when I was 15 and had access to some sweet upgrades. I put tube end shifters on, cloth tape on the handlebars. My big upgrade was I put on some Peugeot PX-10 wheels with the glue on tires. It was bad assed!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Cornholio
    Rounded off my 5 day weekend with a nice ride in the local mountains above my house.  Had to work off all the food I ate off my egg the past several days, been egging more than mountain biking lately.

Hardly anyone out there so it was nice to just unwind in solitude.  Saw a little snake on my way up, stopped to say hi.  Ended up doing 16
    miles with 2200 feet of climbing.

At the top top of the climb is old cabin ruins that vandals wouldn’t leave alone so the family that owns the land gave up decades ago and let it go.  Interesting back story about this cabin and the family that owns it.

Looking over the mountains that border Orange County to the inland side.

This view is looking towards the ocean, too hazy to see today.

Beek’s Place

Ssssss

• Any mountain lion sightings in that area?
    Gittin' there...
  • xfire_ATX
    Cornholio said:

I get out to Southern CA often and always considering renting a bike out there.  Last time I was in Anahiem I stopped in Orange Cycle to see what the style of bikes in CA was like compared to TX.  Turned out the salesguy used to sell bikes in ATX so we had a great conversation.

• Cornholio
    Any mountain lion sightings in that area?
    None myself but plenty of sightings on this trail and all the surrounding areas.  A man was killed back in 2004 in this area and when another rider passed the scene later on the lion attacked her and almost killed her.  

I still feel safer riding trails than roads though, cars are way more likely to kill you.  It did take awhile for me to get comfortable far out there solo, I still get the willies in some situations.  I’d be more concerned in bear country.
  • Cornholio
    xfire_ATX said:
    Cornholio said:

I get out to Southern CA often and always considering renting a bike out there.  Last time I was in Anahiem I stopped in Orange Cycle to see what the style of bikes in CA was like compared to TX.  Turned out the salesguy used to sell bikes in ATX so we had a great conversation.
    The Path bike shop in Tustin is where you’d want to rent a mountain bike if you are in Anaheim on a trip.  Hit me up if you ever want a guide for the fun stuff here in Orange County.  The ride I did today was just a mellow cruise, we have everything here for all levels.  
  • Cornholio said:
    Any mountain lion sightings in that area?
    None myself but plenty of sightings on this trail and all the surrounding areas.  A man was killed back in 2004 in this area and when another rider passed the scene later on the lion attacked her and almost killed her.  

I still feel safer riding trails than roads though, cars are way more likely to kill you.  It did take awhile for me to get comfortable far out there solo, I still get the willies in some situations.  I’d be more concerned in bear country.
    Strap a Mossberg JIC on my back, then I'll  ride there. Otherwise no dice.
    Gittin' there...
  • xfire_ATX
    While I have seen a Coyote or two out here what I usually see are these suckers.  I generally give them wide lattitude- this was the biggest Snake I have ever seen in the wild 6'+ and as big as my forearm.

Picture taken from a safe distance using the zoom on the camera