Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Mountain Biking

Options

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I ride every day at lunch if I'm not traveling for work, my subdivision has ~20 miles of trails in it so I can roll out of my garage and be on dirt in .25 mile.

I ride a 2012 Scott Spark and a 2011 Redline Monocog.  I rode that SS exclusively for 6+ years and just got back into riding with gears and shocks

I have a Scott Road bike with flat tires in the garage.  I commuted 13 miles each way to work when I had to be in an office on it and did some decent touring rides including a couple of century's.  Really don't like road riding so it sits around.

I was off the bike with a foot injury for about 4 months over the holidays and one day I weighed more than I ever have.  Riding ~30 miles a week, with elevation in 95+ high noon heat will get you in shape quick.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Still have my Wicked Fat Chance that I bought 30 years ago.  Ended up having a custom paint job done on it by Mountain Goat Cycles.  Pretty sure those bike builders closed up shop long ago.  Really haven’t ridden much in decades but keep thinking I’ll get back into it some day.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    edited June 2018
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I'm just here to say, a good quality steel bike frame is the bees knees, and aluminum bikes suck.   Just saying ;)    Start flaming, it's friday =)
     Rode a Shogun for years ~1987.(not the mass market **** with Shogun name now).  Awesome steel framed bike.  The feel is totally different and I do prefer it, but I like the weight of my Al and carbon bike.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Anyone else here ride on a Brooks saddle?     I have one on my roadie as well as my MTB  =)
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    @mEGG_My_Day it’s great to hear justice was served. I have a ring floodlight cam watching my eggs. 
    The ring products are awesome. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Im a bigger cross country rider, I had a little set back in December with a stupid virus that attacked my heart and lungs keeping me off my bike since 12/9/17 but as of last week I started getting back on the saddle.
    I was a huge cannonade guy with a black inc F29 and a team scalpel for a few years but changed it up a bit last year and road a Niner RKT and a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 before settling on my new ride, now I rock a Scott Spark RC 900SL as my full squish and a Pivot Less29 as my fully rigid SS and a Boerallis Yampa as my fat and a Cannondale super six evo as my road. Lat year I road a little over 3,ooo miles ⅔'s of it trail riding I only really ride road when trail is not in the best shape. I love mountain biking been doing it for about 5 years now.
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Anyone else here ride on a Brooks saddle?     I have one on my roadie as well as my MTB  =)
    I have one on my touring bike. I love it.  I don’t want one on my mountain bike as riding in western PA can get sloppy and I don’t like fenders on my mountain bikes. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • mlc2013
    Options
    odie91 I use it on my road bike when I do granFondo but thats the only time I love it but way to big and heavy for mountain bike and daily riding
    Long Island NY    
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Mountain biking is my main hobby. I ride as much as I can. Mountain biking is where I dump a ton of money into. I have a Salsa Pony Rustler with some mods, a Salsa SS Fat bike that is pretty much custom and a Surly Ogre that maybe just has the frame as an original part. I quit the mountain biking forums a while ago as they are toxic with a lot of bad information. PM and I can talk about mountain biking all day. The hobby has so much BS around it I feel bad for beginners that ask on forums what they should buy and what style of biking they should do. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I quit riding bikes when I got my drivers license 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I quit riding bikes when I got my drivers license 
    riding bikes blows you to drink and egg a lot more with out having to buy new pants every year or so, or at least it does for me
    Long Island NY    
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    Trek 9.9 Fuel EX. Full carbon frame (only) weighs in at about 5 lbs. Haven’t ridden in a while; spend 3 mornings a week in the pool instead. I need to get back in the saddle because I really enjoy trail riding. 

Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I have a Framed Minnesota fat bike, a Giant Roam 2 for rails and trails with the wife, and a Giant Talon 2 for real off-road. None of these are cutting edge or overly expensive. But they all get ridden regularly.   
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I ride a 2012 Scott Spark and a 2011 Redline Monocog.  I rode that SS exclusively for 6+ years and just got back into riding with gears and shocks

Rides this year

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I still have my old trek 930.   Had tons of fun riding it back when I had time.  Built the bike from 93-95.  It hasn’t changed much since then, was mostly used on local Ohio trails and some road rides like the MS 150. These days it gets ridenba few times a week with my daughter around the neighborhood and on the the  towpath by our home.  Funny to think I used to do century rides now I’m hurting after 15 miles   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Picked up a Stumpjumper and a Trek Top Fuel this spring. Been hitting the trails hard about 3x per week. Lots of bruises and broken bike parts re-starting out, but now that those dues have been paid things are effin fun. The Trek climbs like a mountain goat and the Stumpy rides like a human powered dirt bike.

On a side note, don't upgrade an old retro bike unless you have money to burn. Tough to part with that much $$$ for a new full suspension bicycle, but the end results are worth it.
    Gittin' there...
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I have a Brooks B-17 saddle on my road bike, really need to get my chunky butt in it and pound out some miles. 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    odie91 said:
    I want one for my beach cruiser, just got a Fabric saddle to replace my SDG Falcon that I bent the rails on being a beer drinking 200lb slob.  My main MTB bike is a 160mm front 150mm rear travel beast so I need to save weight where I can.

~27lbs ain’t bad and ain’t cheap either to get there.

• mlc2013
    Options
     Wow there’s a big difference between Enduro and downhill bikes compare to cross country bikes my fat bike weighs less than 25 and my full suspension I believe is less than 22 pounds I’m going to have to check when I get home tonight to be sure 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
     To be fair I live on Long Island mostly flat which some decent rock gardens But no big rock drops occasionally I ride off island where the trails are a bit more chunky my favorite trail is either kingdom trails VT or rays town PA
    Long Island NY    
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
     To be fair I live on Long Island mostly flat which some decent rock gardens But no big rock drops occasionally I ride off island where the trails are a bit more chunky my favorite trail is either kingdom trails VT or rays town PA
    I have a hardtail for XC racing that is under 23lbs but my main rig is more enduro.  I live in So Cal and my local trails I ride to from my house are pretty chunky and technical.  Longer travel bikes have come a long way and I can pedal mine on 30+ mile rides with over 4K feet of elevation gain with no problem at all. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Yeah very different my bike is 110 and 90 mm of travel our typical 30 mile trail of 27 miles to be exact is only 2200 feet of climbing
    Long Island NY    
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    My favorite thing is spotting the heaviest rider on the lightest bike.

Hollow titanium hardware, carbon fiber everything, $2000 wheels and 300lb obese rider.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • mlc2013
    Options
    That’s me carbon everything and I’m 225 when I started riding I was 295 hopefully get below 200 next year
    Long Island NY    
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    That’s me carbon everything and I’m 225 when I started riding I was 295 hopefully get below 200 next year
    Nice!
    Gittin' there...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    My first and last mtn bike race spent a lot of time in a young forest, weaving in and out of trees that my handlebars could barely get through.  Rocks, logs, streams...  About 2/3 through I did a full endo.  Finally, I emerged from the woods, bleeding from all 4 limbs, parts missing from the bike...  I confess, I love the nearby rail-to-trail.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Still have my Wicked Fat Chance that I bought 30 years ago.  Ended up having a custom paint job done on it by Mountain Goat Cycles.  Pretty sure those bike builders closed up shop long ago.  Really haven’t ridden much in decades but keep thinking I’ll get back into it some day.

I had a Mountain Goat Whiskeytown with one of their splatter paint jobs (loved it) and still have a Slim Chance in awesome Team Violet.  Great bikes.   Fat City is still in business, not sure about Mountain Goat.

Also have a Ventana Marble Peak, and an older Alpinestars beater.  I need to ride more.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    Options
    Mine hurts my butt.  wish I could find a comfortable seat
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Just gotta build your butt up to it. First few rides you will be sore. I have an old selle italia seat, its like a rock. Comfortable when you get used to it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)