Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parking lot steaks (on a Weber)

@20stonespice and I, still w boxes stacked at home again. We are now 3 hours closer to my mom’s widower, now only 5 hours away. 

He is Argentinian by birth (political insert - fought in Vietnam for The US, became a citizen), and loved a good steak, which he doesn’t get often). As previously shown on another thread, I gotta guy who has a guy WRT beef, and, given the occasion, we ponied up for the NY strips. 

A few trips ago, I was cooking for him and bought him a Weber from the Ace across the street.  He now keeps it under lock and key for occasions like last night, and we landed in town at 5:30 (after a fly by at @SciAggie’s), hit the store and hit the kitchen at a sprint. 

(Killer Wagyu NY strips reverse sear, coals on one side)

(Served w chimichurri (home made), squash (w peppers and onions), mushrooms (w garlic) and mashers (w garlic, butter, cream, and Parmesan)

Steak omlettes for breakfast!

PS - @SciAggie’s outdoor rig is all I expected.  He also has 3 cords of wood, cinderblocks, space for trouble and can weld.  Possibilities......

PPS - Thanks again to my guy for the hookup on the steaks
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great story and a beautiful meal.  Steaks look amazing man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    bgebrent said:
    Great story and a beautiful meal.  Steaks look amazing man.
    They came out great. They were bumper to bumper rare/mid-rare (or “medium” in Argentina).  I was nervous because I am here wo my Thermapen.  Taste slices were required. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Maybe you can start a new food trend, Parking Lot to Table. Looks great. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Those look great John

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Great post! Thank you.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Delicious looking plate there, nice job cooking for a deserving guy 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • That was awful nice of you to do that for the widower.

I need to find me a parking lot guy. I may have found one yesterday at the Farmer's Market. Grass and milk fed cows lovingly raised with minerals and no antibiotics; all natural. Gonna give him a try.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• To good people come good things.  You are one of the good ones.
  • Nice. Hope the strips are as good as the flap I cooked the other night. @legume and I met up today for a shady parking lot meat swap. 

The meat fuy has anothe calf hanging now and now and I have laid claim to one of the rib sub-primals. Will be ready next week. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    Nice. Hope the strips are as good as the flap I cooked the other night.
    The strips were RIDICULOUS. I am now ruined for even excellent beef now. In a dream world, I’ll get a full striploin and age it for 40-50 days, but the flavor and texture was out of this world. 

The meat guy has anothe calf hanging now and now and I have laid claim to one of the rib sub-primals. Will be ready next week. 
    Ol’ buddy, ol’ pal.  Is there anything I can bring?

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Nice. Hope the strips are as good as the flap I cooked the other night.
    The strips were RIDICULOUS. I am now ruined for even excellent beef now. In a dream world, I’ll get a full striploin and age it for 40-50 days, but the flavor and texture was out of this world. 

The meat guy has anothe calf hanging now and now and I have laid claim to one of the rib sub-primals. Will be ready next week. 
    Ol’ buddy, ol’ pal.  Is there anything I can bring?

Great to hear. I’ve only had the grainy cuts (flap, skirt, flat iron, flank). They have been insanely good so Im going to bite the bullet and grab that rib loin. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Man, I wish it had been shadier. Too f’n hot again.

Looking forward to cooking some of this haul and happy to have a great source, shady or not.

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Looks delicious.
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited September 2018
    Legume said:

Looking forward to cooking some of this haul and happy to have a great source, shady or not.

Yeah- meeting at Eddie Bauer in a suburban mall parking lot certainly takes some of the sketch out of it as well. Might be the most “old white guy” thing I have done in some time. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Legume said:

Yeah- meeting at Eddie Bauer in a suburban mall parking lot certainly takes some of the sketch out of it as well. Might be the most “old white guy” thing I have done in some time. 
    :lol:

next time the landing strip
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Food looks great.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited September 2018
    Clearly we need to work on our communication. I had no idea you were transporting wagyu goodness when you stopped by...
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I’m about ready to road trip to Austin and participate in one of your clandestine parking lot meat transactions.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SciAggie said:
    Clearly we need to work on our communication. I had no idea you were transporting wagyu goodness when you stopped by...
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I’m about ready to road trip to Austin and participate in one of your clandestine parking lot meat transactions.

OK, this has gone way beyond "showoff" and is now into full on "taunting". You make the rest of us feel like such knuckle dragging mouth breathers...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    You had zero fires lit. The cooler doesn’t come out unless there’s fire. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • DMW said:
    SciAggie said:

OK, this has gone way beyond "showoff" and is now into full on "taunting". You make the rest of us feel like such knuckle dragging mouth breathers...
    Haters gonna hate. Get your own parking lot meat guy. 
  • SciAggie
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    You had zero fires lit. The cooler doesn’t come out unless there’s fire. 
    Fair enough. I try not to repeat my mistakes. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker Beautiful stuff there. Absolutely beautiful. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • stepping up and helping others out, seems to be a good trend here :)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don’t care what the other kids say about you. You’re a good egg. 

And oddly enough, I sorta remember the cook thread you posted way back when you bought him that Weber. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW said:
    SciAggie said:

We are knuckle dragging mouth breathers.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Great cook! Like they say, it's the cook, doesn't matter if it's egg or kettle. Got myself a salvaged Performer and having fun with it. 
    canuckland