Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco or BJ's

Options
Costco or BJ's, which has better meats? Especially beef like Tri-tip or whole packers.

I was in BJ's yesterday as I was sent a 3 month free membership. But they didn't have whole briskets, only flats. No Tri-tip and the butcher said that they wont be carrying it anytime soon. I wasn't impressed with their other meats either.

I already have a KCBS membership so I have Restaurant Depot access but I'm looking to extend my options some. Plus RD won't cut up their meat for you and they have some unusual names for their cuts of meat. But overall I have been happy with their meat selection.

I am hoping that BJ's or Costco can help but so far BJ's was a washout and I won't be extending my free membership.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Options

yes it is Friday! lol
    Central Florida
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Surprised it took that long.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Costco.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • vegas slim
    Options
    bjs all damn day
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Other than what the above video is referencing what is  BJ's
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Costco is better than BJs for meat selection, however I think I like Sam's better than Costco. A new Sam's opened up a couple of years ago and we have been members. A Costco opened up about a month ago. They were offering a groupon that made the membership basically free so I signed up for both for a year. 

Sams recently got USDA prime briskets, steaks, roasts and the prices are better. The produce is much better at Sams. Maybe our store is having sourcing issues- but the produce SUCKS at our Costco. Also Sam's has an app that you can scan your items and check out without waiting in line. They also have online ordering and pick up. You can use the app and they bring it out to your car. To be fair our Costco does have instacart delivery but the prices are jacked up and there is a delivery fee. For whatever reason Costco is always insanely crowded and it takes forever to get in and out. If I want to run in and grab a brisket or some ribs at Sams I can use the app, scan, pay...out the door. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Sams for pork butts because they are bone in, I get the rest at Costco. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    BJ's at Costco FTW
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Prime packers from Costco.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Try your local butcher shop. Support small business. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It probably depends on your area. My vote is for Costco. Much cleaner store, better employees, more registers open, better selection of products. I used work at Costco and the employees who were fired at Costco wound up at Sam's, like an island of misfit toys. The nearest BJ's is an hour away, so I've never been.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    In order of closeness to my location BJ's is the closest then Sam's and finally Costco

As for the nicest parts of town Costco wins with the other two being about the same level of dirtyness and crime etc.

We don't regularly go anywhere near any of them so it would be a special trip to go shopping.

We went through the whole store yesterday at BJ's and only spent $70. Other than the meat we just were not interested in anything else.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't know about the other clubs, but Sam's will give you a day pass and you can buy for a 10% service fee. So if you want to try their stuff, you can do so without joining. Go to the Courtesy desk first. 'Course, the 10%s add up. =)

I don't even HAVE a Sam's any more. Mine didn't survive the last round of store closures.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I have been a long term BJs member, sometimes I go with my buddy to Costco to compare meats and produce esp holiday time. Both are hit or miss for prime meats, both have nice looking choice and grass fed cuts, but watch
    sell by dates very carefully. Both stores sell meats where they circle the date because it says sell by 2 days or do from then. Both stores are upping their organic produce and dairy. We get organic chickens very reasonable. 

i have never seen whole packer in either store near me fwiw.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Costco for me although if given the option I’d take BJ’s over trips to Costco any day.  ;)

Kidding aside, not even sure where the closest BJ’s or Sam’s is to us.. always been a Costco member.  Heading there tomorrow for the weekend proteins, ribs and whatever else catches my eye.  They had prime whole packers the other day but I don’t think brisket is on the menu this weekend, trying to juggle family time with mountain biking and smoking. 

I’m off until next Thursday so got a lot of egging to do!  
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    BJ’s ?

Jacksonville FL
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Lol glad I am not the only perv around here.  Bj's for me all day long.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • td66snrf
    edited September 2018
    Options
    WHAT IS BJ'S?????
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    WHAT IS BJ'S?????
    A buyer's club like Coatco or Sam's Club.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Philly35
    Options
    I’d take a BJ over a trip to Costco as well. What kind of question is that? It’s a no brainer. Take the BJ, go to Costco in the morning. 
    NW IOWA
  • td66snrf
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger thank you for answering my question. We haven't seen them on the west coast. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What about a BJ in the Costco prime section?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Lit said:
    What about a BJ in the Costco prime section?
    Tube steak?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I can’t believe this thread survived last night. 

Wing Ding must have distracted the scoundrels. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit

it started out as a legitimate thread. But I shouldn't have posted it on Friday as it went off track pretty quick. Still, there was some good info stuck in there be tween the juvenile innuendoes.  =)
    MiniMax 04/17

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Scored a 9# prime packer at Costco yesterday. Yup, 9#. Small, but very limber and looks great. With just the two of us smaller is better, and cooks faster. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My vote is for Costco 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    in there be tween the juvenile innuendoes.  =)
    Yep, guilty as charged.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).