Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What knives do you use?

Options
ColbyLang
ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
we all apparently cook. So what’s your go to blade? I cook every dinner in our home. We have Cutco knives and Calphalon knives. My absolute go to is a 7” Mundial boning knife. I’d like to get a better quality chef’s knife and actually learn how to properly use it. So what ya got?

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    we all apparently cook. So what’s your go to blade? I cook every dinner in our home. We have Cutco knives and Calphalon knives. My absolute go to is a 7” Mundial boning knife. I’d like to get a better quality chef’s knife and actually learn how to properly use it. So what ya got?
    Wusthof.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Wustof and Shun. Wustofs were bought 17 years ago and the Shuns are a couple years old. Nothing but Shun (or similar Japanese) moving forward. They are next level sharp compared to the Wustofs. Gotta be careful. 

I don’t have a go to knife. I use the knife required for the task at hand. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I'm NOT bragging but I have a number of knives with different styles. It's really hard to boil it down to just this one or that one. If I had to give a vote for say which two get the most use they would be my chef knife and my boning knife. BUT I love all my other specialty ones - which in my mind makes collecting various purpose ones!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I hear @Ozzie_Isaac is very pleased with his Misen chef knife. :)

Whatever knife/knives you get learn to keep them sharp. Pretty much any knife can be made razor sharp but some will stay that way longer.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Shun in the kitchen and benchmade in my pocket.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You really need to let us know your budget. My favorite and sharpest knife is my 240mm Takeda it’s the 2nd from the left in the pic. If you are just gonna get 1 knife I would go with 210mm it’s 8”. Also there is a great website chefknivestogo that has numerous videos for sharpening knives on stones I would recommend the 1000/6000 king stone it’s fairly cheap and learn to sharpen on a stone then you also want a good ceramic honing rod for maintenance between sharpening. Chefknivestogotogo recently put out a new ceramic rod that is 2000 grit which is way higher grit than others make so it’s truly just honing and not sharpening. They sell guides for different angles to put on the rods so you can lay your knife against it and learn the angles so you aren’t messing up your knives. 
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Wusthof. I love them even after over 30 years.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Lit said:

@Lit That's a really sharp collection.  I like the non uniformity.

Phoenix 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions. Budget is pretty much wide open. I’m thinking no more than $200 should yield me a great knife. Looking at your suggestions now!
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have some nice German knives, also a couple of cutco. I bought a 7” shuns premier chefs knife and that is the bomb!  I would by in again in a minute!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    There are usually some decent deals on Black Friday and throughout the Holiday Season if you can hold off. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Thanks for the opinions. Budget is pretty much wide open. I’m thinking no more than $200 should yield me a great knife. Looking at your suggestions now!
    The shun premier 8” chef is a very nice knife and if you can use the 20% off coupons from BBB this is a decent deal. https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/product/shun-premier-8-inch-chef-39-s-knife/1041078563
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I’m shun premier wherever possible. They can be found on sale if you’re patient. 

You get a Jell-O shot.. YOU get a Jell-O shot!

EVERYBODY GETS A JELLO SHOT!!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWARM! SWARM!
    Options
    Williams Sonoma has a pretty solid sale going on.  Might be worth a look.