Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: life is over, wife’s putting me on a diet: OT

Options
13»

Comments

• BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    This thread has me interested in trying Keto. My problem is that I love, and I mean love breads. We eat pizza every friday with the kiddos and no one in my family is about to start making "pizzas" on Mushrooms. That would be my one downfall other than not eating potatoes which I also love. What good is eating butter and cheese if there isn't any bread to go with them???
    Problem solved sir! I made this several time and it's awesome! 
    https://lowcarbyum.com/low-carb-gluten-free-cauliflower-pizza-crust/
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    This thread has me interested in trying Keto. My problem is that I love, and I mean love breads. We eat pizza every friday with the kiddos and no one in my family is about to start making "pizzas" on Mushrooms. That would be my one downfall other than not eating potatoes which I also love. What good is eating butter and cheese if there isn't any bread to go with them???
    It’s not gritty at all? 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Why plant based? I'm not a doctor, but i'm also not an idiot. I'll save my diet thoughts for now, but i'm highly opposed to this doctors thoughts.
    Pretty much anything a Doctor knows you can learn on your own in about three minutes on Google.  This is how I know that I'm dying of an extremely rare condition known as thirdlegitis. 
     It is not fatal. I have that too, and only suffer the nickname "tripod".
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Why plant based? I'm not a doctor, but i'm also not an idiot. I'll save my diet thoughts for now, but i'm highly opposed to this doctors thoughts.
    Pretty much anything a Doctor knows you can learn on your own in about three minutes on Google.  This is how I know that I'm dying of an extremely rare condition known as thirdlegitis. 
    It is fatal, everything is fatal, eventually.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @sumoconnell that’s the diet I had been following  so I’ve gotten real fat.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    chipman said:
    There are pizza crusts made from cauliflower. They are expensive but surprisingly tasty.

I dunno if I could do that. I wonder how much it would hurt if I kept pizza night and only ate carbs on that 1 occasion.

That's called a cheat day. 1 cheat day a week isn't going to set you that far back IMO. It's better than nothing. 

I think I could do pretty good at it if I could just have that 1 cheat meal. I don't need the whole day even to pig out on donuts and crap. Just the 1 meal and mainly its because my kiddos love making pizzas on the egg with Dad. The rest of the week I could manage it I think. May have to start this in a week or 2. I think I might start slowly taking things away the rest of the month and go whole hog in September.
    it takes 2 days after that carb cheat meal to get back into ketosis so you are out of the game for 3 days. you would stand a better chance if you ate the one pizza every other week. if you do eat the pizza, make it a greasy fatty type pie, it slows those carbs down.

If we're sticking to the weight loss = calorie reduction theory, it doesn't really matter if he drops back into ketosis the next day or not, as long as his weekly average calorie intake is lower than he's burning he's still going to lose weight. 
    ketosis helps to burn stored fat, thats the whole idea of this diet. i prefer the old atkins diet before it became big, didnt really limit any meat, fatty or lean. just about all veggies were fair game, some fruit you needed to stay away from. keep the carbs under 20 for a couple weeks then slowly increase them till you find the level that works for you.  not sure i believe in keto being based on eating fat, or the south beach being based on lean and crossing alot of veggies off the list.  did the octoberfeast diet a few years ago and lost 20 pounds in a month,  it was simple drinking 2 beers 3 times a day and eating sausages, not as quick as atkins but manageable =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    DMW said:
    It is fatal, everything is fatal, eventually.
    Yeah it is...ask Steve McNair. Was it too soon? It felt too soon. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8113375c/article/police-retired-qb-mcnair-murdered-by-girlfriend-who-then-killed-herself%3fnetworkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%253Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%253Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=team%253Dbal;team%253Dten;conf%253Dafc;dvsn%253Dacn;dvsn%253Dacs&sr=amp

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm on a whole food diet - it can be hard sometimes.  Whole hamburgers, whole pizzas... It's a lot.  I'm also into fitness.  Fitness whole burger in my mouth.  Diet and exercise.
    This is greatness. Reminds me of the dirty version of the "fitness" joke.

PSA- If a 13 year old boy ever asks you if you are into fitness, just say no. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options
    Is exercise out of the question?  I lift weights 4 times a week with light cardio.  That combined with a fairly healthy diet does me well.  I'm at 205 currently.  Yes I eat a lot of Tuna, Chicken, Brown Rice, Yogurt that type of thing.  But I also eat bbq and burgers on the weekends.  Just manage your daily caloric intake before you know you're going to be eating something you really want like a half rack of ribs and a chopped brisket sandwich. 

Also, lifting.  Nothing makes a man feel manlier than bench press and dead lift.
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    So how much can you bench, @TexasRebel?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    thetrim said:

here we go......

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    WDIB... Who's Richard is Bigger???  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    so...you guys into fitness?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I'm not that guy lol....just makes me feel better. 
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    so...you guys into fitness?
    Yepp...how many briskets can I fitness egg
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • thetrim
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @TexasRebel before my 2nd back surgery I was in the gym 5 days a week.  I lifted, ran, and hit the pool for laps.  Now 4 surgeries deep, I eat like I go to the gym but look like I’ve never seen a weight room. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am on a seefood diet. I see food and I eat it  :open_mouth:

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    More.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    It’s not gritty at all? 
    Not in the least, you bake the cauliflower before adding the toppings, I think this is why it's not gritty. Get a head of cauliflower and try it out, not hard at all! BTW, make extra crusts (cooked) and vacuum seal / freeze as they hold up well.... 
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Why the F would anyone who doesn’t have celiac make a pizza crust out of vegetables.  Just eat less real pizza.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Because I have no will power. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DMW
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Because I have no will power. 
    Invest in some, it's worth it. I lost 80lbs, gained about 10 back, need to take care of that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I'm just joshing. I look marvelous in a thong. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DMW
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Please don't post a pic, we believe you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Very nice!