Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid for burgers ?

Options
Just got a raised grid for my large egg now.  Doing burgers tonight , any reason to use the raised grate or no? 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Suit yourself, but I don't see any benefit. Me thinks you have a new toy and want to play with it!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    RRP said:
    Suit yourself, but I don't see any benefit. Me thinks you have a new toy and want to play with it!  =)
    You’se would be right 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’ll work.  I like my burgers closer to the fire.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ever since I did my first smashburger, I don't think I've used the grid, raised or otherwise. Sometimes a griddle on the stovetop, sometimes the Blackstone. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    90% of my cooks are on a raised grid via the AR or Woo. In fact they rarely leave the eggs 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I like the good solid crust from the direct (not raised) burger cook.  But it's your cook so enjoy it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    +1 on cooking burgers close to the fire. If you want to use your new rig, you could spatchcock a chicken and throw it on the raised grid when the burgers are done. An hour and fifteen at 400 raised and you'll have some chicken for lunches this week.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I prefer burgers raised direct. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    If you want to play with your new rig, do a reverse sear burger.  (Disclosure- I have never done this with a burger)
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I often do my burgers raised as It is easier to just roll with the current set up....I mean you no if I had been doing some chops or something previously. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    Man I’ve kept reading on here about smash burgers and didn’t know what they were.  Just read up and I’m gonna do them instead hahaha . But thanks for the advice 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like most things raised for direct cooking. A thick steak being one of the few exceptions. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Depends on how thick you do your burgers. 

Thin - hot and fast
    Thick - raised for awhile, and seared to finish (just like reverse searing a steak) is a win. This is also the most reliable way to do sausage without hammering them
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    Man I’ve kept reading on here about smash burgers and didn’t know what they were.  Just read up and I’m gonna do them instead hahaha . But thanks for the advice 
    Smash Burgers are simply the best. I haven't made a conventional burger ever since I discovered the magic of a smash burger. Got it perfected on the Blackstone. I don't think I've ordered a burger in a restaurant since either.
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.