Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LAMB: Shoulder or leg for shredded meat? How much time per lb amd what temp?

Options
Making lamb shawwarma this weekend a la DDD sausage, shawarma and seafood episode
Looks like the guy at Street 360 in New Hampshire uses shoulder instead of leg of lamb   cooks it, boneless covered tight over a bed of sliced onions amd whole garlic cloves at 350F for 4 hrs, then shreds it and crisps meat up on flattop to replicate that vertical spit crust....

Question for the eggnation.  How would you go about making a lamb shoulder to get similar results as we get indirect on bge with pork shoulder and brisket?   Looking to skip the flattop step and just go shredded shoulder of lamb with some bark.....

Looking for time and temp guid amd whether leg of lamb is preferable to shoulder?

Met with butcher this AM who said lamb shoulder going on sale so id prefer to use that

Any guidance would be appreciated
Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i did this with the leg because some here years ago said it could not be done. im not a big fan of the taste of mutton but thats what it tasted like to me, others would enjoy it though. basically cook at 250 dome to 180 internal, wrap with some liquid (that onion they used on the show would work as it doesnt need much added liquid and add the flavor profile you want).  cook til tender which was a good 210 plus internal.  i think it was about 10 hours for a small boneless leg.  the shoulder would be more pullable. the fat intensifies the flavor on lamb cooked this way, it can get overpowering, i would cut off as much as possible.  i had not seen shwarma before so had no clue what to add to a sandwich which may have addressed my issues with this cook. since this cook ive done the kafta kabobs  thats been posted here, im sold on those
    2004_0131Image0012jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Shoulder if you can get it. Lots of tendons and silver skin in the leg. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    A shoulder will give you a better version. Leg is somewhat dry as it is basically a bundle of muscles. When I do a leg on the egg/grill I break it down into the seven muscles, marinate and grill with a good char and medium rare. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Thanks brethren!  Shoulder it is.  Bnq bible steven raichlen has a pretty good bbq lamb shoulder recipe so that combined with what i could glean from DDD demo plus @fishlessman technique will morph into something i hope is tasty
    Stay tuned.....
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Remember, pics or it didn't happen.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    A shoulder will give you a better version. Leg is somewhat dry as it is basically a bundle of muscles. When I do a leg on the egg/grill I break it down into the seven muscles, marinate and grill with a good char and medium rare. 
    leg makes the best kabobs with the high char to med/rare ratio, seldom cook a whole leg anymore. you would be surprised how much hidden fat is in the leg muscle, the low and slow is pretty moist for something you would think would be dry. i was really surprised by that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @CincyTiki

Now THAT'S exactly what i was looking for!   Thanks mucho.   I got two shoulders and will spice them up tonight.   Put em on BGE tomorrow morning and cook at 250F.   I am guessing the IT of yours was 195-200?  Please confirm

Im looking for ultra tender fall apart meat, nice exterior crust and subtle bbq flavor .  It looks like you hit all 3 on yours to perfection.

Putting these in pita bread with tzatiki, onions, lettuce and tomato...

Plus making chicken souvlaki so hopefully that turns out a winner....
    Cant wait!
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    I slow-cooked this yogurt rubbed lamb shoulder in my BGE. Full recipe here 

Lamb done
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    @westernbbq. I pulled it off the egg at 200-205.  Hope you enjoy it, great flavor.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Thanks @zahulio

Did you leave yogurt on all night?   Seems to me like the meat would turn to mush....  I have two shoulders so maybe one with yogurt and one without
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I see a new cook in my future......
    Carry on
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    Thanks @zahulio

Did you leave yogurt on all night?   Seems to me like the meat would turn to mush....  I have two shoulders so maybe one with yogurt and one without
    Yes...overnight marinade. The meat didn’t turn to mush, but it did create a (excessively) dense bark. Next time, I’ll wrap it during the stall.

please post how yours turns out
  • westernbbq
    Options
    This one is a WINNER
    Bought shawarma spice mix from whole foods, dry rub overnight and put yogurt on 2 hrs before putting on the grill.

Smoked at 250F for 10 hrs

Amazing.  Made homemade tzatziki whichn was incredible.   Big time crowd pleaser
  • westernbbq
    edited August 2018
    Options
    By the way i didnt have time to snap picts of the shoulders on the egg because guests kept coming to grill area for samples....so freaking good i cant believe it

Lamb shoulder cook is similar to pork shoulder.   More bones to deal with on lamb but thats OK.   Well worth the results....
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Hmmmm...  this has been moved up on the list.. that looks fantastic. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Hmmmm...  this has been moved up on the list.. that looks fantastic. 
    Do it and you wont look back
    I wish id hve done this sooner.  Unreal how great this is....
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Making next weekend for a tailgate party.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Shoulder would also get my vote. More fat, less tendons ... I think for shredding, it will turn out better.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Did a shoulder a couple years ago.  It was special order, the nearest halal butcher being around 150 miles away.  Cost $10.99/lb!  Did not marinate, used za'tar seasoning, which I have not liked on anything else.  One of the best things I've ever cooked.
    If I could get lamb shoulder for $2.99/ lb, we'd have it a LOT more often.