Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Securing The Egg

I found a used small egg that I should pick up later this week.  I want to build a rolling table so that I can take it with us in the RV.  We have a toy hauler so space isn't an issue, but it will have to roll down the back ramp.  Fairly steep angle with a sharp transition and then who knows what at campsites.  I'm not worried about tipping, I will build the table accordingly.  How do I secure the egg to the table so it wont slide when rolling or in transit.  I know it cant go far, but would rather it didn't move.  I'm thinking some thin cable attached to the band where side tables would go.  Snug with a turnbuckle but not crazy. Any issues with that?

Comments

• Bobh83
    Bobh83 Posts: 25
    Obviously not a hot topic, but wanted to update.  Thinking it isn't worth the headache of starting from scratch.  Going to fab up a handler and make a rolling base like i have seen on here.  Egg is in good shape.  Some rust on the bands and nuts so I'll probably tear it down before I start using it.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I would build the table with some tie down points so you can put some ratchet straps and secure it when your are done.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• depending on what you paid for that small you could probably get a new large  char-griller acorn and never worry about it breaking. Half the weight and a way better traveler. I know a few guys that have them and love them. Travelling with a 100lb ceramic pot that holds 6 burgers or a small butt is more trouble that it's worth in my book. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Bobh83
    Thanks guys. Acorn is a viable idea but I already bought it and like that it's an egg. Paid $300. Probably could have done better but since a new minimax is $600 and that's been in the list I pulled the trigger. We bought a toy hauler so I can take all the crap that isn't easy to travel with like 14' kayaks and outdoor tables. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I have been hauling my small around in a basement hatch of our Motor Home for 6 years now and I haven't had any issues at all. Your way over thinking this just make sure the table is secure so it cant move around in the RV. I don't do anything with the fire ring and fire box just put it in the hatch and go.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Bobh83
    Cleaned up well. I just need to add the wheels and secure it to the nest. 

Before:

After:

• Bobh83
    Now we’re mobile

Test run

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    can you add some tie downs to the base so you can just quickly strap the egg down?  i like the idea for a travel egg.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Looks good, i like seeing a plan come together.  There is plenty of bounce in those toy haulers - I'll be crossing fingers for you.
    Phoenix 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    you can definately run a strap over the top of the dome to the lower plateform, its not shown in this pic but i did add one plus my carrier was strapped down as well

DSC_0514jpg

you need to tie the handle down so the dome doesnt bounce in the hauler

9f0e9898jpg

if you have a toy hauler =)  you can go anywhere

DSC_0251jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bobh83
    I will be strapping it down for sure. I was thinking eye bolts in the base but not set just yet. I like that 4 Wheeler Cartier. Would be awesome in the mountains. 
  • Maybe use something like the tie downs I made for my Mini Max?
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    One other thing you can do is put a board down through the chimney that fits into a routed 2x8 or something on the grate.  Cut it so it sticks out of the chimney, then put a big eye bolt, notch it out, or use a hole saw.  Then run tie downs across or through it down to whatever is below to fasten (or just run under the egg base and nest.)

The straps push that board down on the grate which keep the plate setter, fire box, and fire ring from bouncing around......and with the straps running down, it also keeps the dome shut.  And that is all without using the bands or handle to fasten anything.  I wouldn't tighten them too tight--they just to lock the egg, nest, internals, all together.  Then use some other straps to secure it to the trailer, truck bed, etc.  That way you're not relying on a bunch shifting parts to carry the weight--you isolated the straps to hold it together, and the straps to secure it.  If you do both and a strap lets go, then you just lost both.

That's how we handled securing cargo in airplanes and helicopters......two step process.