Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying a 2nd egg

A LBGE showed up on the local letgo this morning. Wondering how you explain to the wife another is needed?

Its not like guns and ammo. She never sees those. :o

XLBGE - LBGE - Charbroil gasgrill

Wichita Kansas

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I simply asked my wife why she needed a double oven. Never heard another word about it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    I’ve never heard of a wife complaining that her husband was cooking too much. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Go for it recognizing that there may be some serious pay-back required. 
    Strike while the iron is hot. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    edited August 2018
    - Cooking for a whole bunch of friends ... aka the neighhourhood when they find you have two eggs. :)

- Two temperature cooking

- Cooking multiple courses, e.g. main and dessert

- Cold smoking (create smoke in one, run pipe from top of it into bottom grate of second)

- Kudos and status in the community

Having said all of that ... with the exception of the kudos one, do the others solve any problems you currently have delivering awesome meals?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• jimdgreat1
    jimdgreat1 Posts: 175

Really don't need a 2nd one. There are only 3 of us and the daughter doesn't eat much meat. (outside of hamburgers) Wish it was a different size than what I already have.

Wichita Kansas

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

I like having a second large, cuts down on some of the stuff you have to buy for them.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391

Really don't need a 2nd one. There are only 3 of us and the daughter doesn't eat much meat. (outside of hamburgers) Wish it was a different size than what I already have.

I’ve got the same deal. SWMBO says a big plate of HELL NO to a second egg, even just a cute little MM. Once she finds out MMs heat up way quicker maybe she’d allow one....
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Powak said:

I’ve got the same deal. SWMBO says a big plate of HELL NO to a second egg, even just a cute little MM. Once she finds out MMs heat up way quicker maybe she’d allow one....

I used the "heat up faster approach" and ended up with a MM for my birthday.  I have a great wife  :)
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    My wife just told me we need to get an XL and start looking at prices last week.  Now I have to decide if getting an XL is the right decision or if another Large is the way to go. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger

You’re not trying hard enough to convince yourself. A second egg is a game changer. It’s not about producing more food, it’s about variety of food you can cook at the same time. 
  • Kent8621
    Sea2Ski said:
    My wife just told me we need to get an XL and start looking at prices last week.  Now I have to decide if getting an XL is the right decision or if another Large is the way to go. 

I waffeled with the idea of getting an XL as my second one, everyone here told me to get a second large and I have to say it was a great choice for us.  we typically do cookouts of 15-30 people every couple weeks and the two larges have been perfect for that. 

Boiler Up!!

• DoubleEgger
    edited August 2018
    Sea2Ski said:
    Wifey knows best. 
  • Having 2 ovens outside the house during holidays is magic. Turkey or Ham in one and side dishes in the other and the kitchen is free and clean to do all the other stuff. Of course living in TX it's easy to assume good weather during the fall and winter so that helps. If you are in Canada, you'll need to make something else up. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jimdgreat1
    Well crap, he just offered a hundred less if I pick it up today.

Wichita Kansas

• DoubleEgger
    Well crap, he just offered a hundred less if I pick it up today.

• jimdgreat1
    Strange, its missing the right shelf. Has a nest and the left shelf. How in the hell do you lose a shelf? Should I feel like this is a little shady?

Wichita Kansas

• Kent8621
    just build a double table and youll be fine.

Boiler Up!!

• Had a large for many years as part of a full outdoor kitchen. Sold the large with the house. Bought an XL in January. Love the size especially for ribs. Harder to bring down temps if temp gets away. Added a smaller lump basket for smaller cooks, which works well to create direct and indirect zones. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Strange, its missing the right shelf. Has a nest and the left shelf. How in the hell do you lose a shelf? Should I feel like this is a little shady?
    Shelves are dime a dozen on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. If you want it, go buy it before someone else does. 
  • jimdgreat1
    Went by just to look. Its not a large....

Wichita Kansas

• jimdgreat1
    Needs the right shelf, and a woo and a stone and a.....

Wichita Kansas

• Kent8621
    for the win, nice score.

Boiler Up!!

• lousubcap
    As above ^^^^.  Better to be lucky than good any day. 
    Enjoy the acquisition. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jimdgreat1
    My large shelves will fit. Tempting to switch them and sell the large. What will the large do the xl won't?

Wichita Kansas

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    (Rolling eyes...) bet you were disappointed...   enjoy the new toy!  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jimdgreat1
    Sea2Ski said:
    (Rolling eyes...) bet you were disappointed...   enjoy the new toy!  
    I peed in my pants a little when I saw it. ;)
    Guessing they take a little longer to get hot.

Trying to do a clean burn. Though its fairly clean already. The daisy is gunked up. Should I soak it in hot soapy water?

Wichita Kansas

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Cartier for her birthday. What egg?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lousubcap
    @jimdgreat1- regarding the DMFT, just spray it with cooking oil and toss in the BGE during the cool-down.  A couple of rounds with this and you will be rewarded.  FWIW-