Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not a bad thursday night meal

So im still trying to perfect the reverse sear, getting better but not great yet. I liked the flavor today but again needs more crust will keep trying.

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Looks good. I tend to get better crust when I dry the meat with a paper towel and liberally reapply the rub or S&P before the sear. FWIW. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    CornfedMA said:
    Looks good. I tend to get better crust when I dry the meat with a paper towel and liberally reapply the rub or S&P before the sear. FWIW. 
    Yes, drying it helps the sear not introduce so much heat into the meat as to minimize the post cooking.

Looks totally decent though.
    @CornfedMA thanks for the tip will try next go around
    @nolaegghead. The flavor was great and the texture was great just missing the char but don’t get me wrong I housed it they’re was no chance of any leftovers
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    @lkapigian thanks it tasted good but not great I’ll get there. Slow and steady wins the race
    Long Island NY    
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't sear on the grid. Sear on a cast iron griddle, skillet or on a flattop. Wall to wall maillard.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Different people have different tastes.  For myself, I prefer to sear on the grid (no CI), at 600°-650°, and usually only about a minute a side.  There's very little gray, overcooked meat when it's only seared for a minute, and if the heat is high enough, by gosh it's getting a good, dark sear!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    Great result/money shot right there.  Congrats.
    I would be remiss if I didn't offer the caveman for the finish.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Theophan said:
    Different people have different tastes.  For myself, I prefer to sear on the grid (no CI), at 600°-650°, and usually only about a minute a side.  There's very little gray, overcooked meat when it's only seared for a minute, and if the heat is high enough, by gosh it's getting a good, dark sear!
    +1
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Carolina Q i was actually going to try my CI grid but maybe ill try BS for searing as well
    Theophan this was on grid at 600 for 1 min per side their was very little grey im assuming the amount of juices the steak was letting out affected the sear and I only seared for 60 sec per side max as I was afraid of passing the finish line
    lousubcap when I put the steak on yesterday I said I should have gone cave man I have not crossed that line yet but know its in my future

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q i was actually going to try my CI grid but maybe ill try BS for searing as well
    Theophan this was on grid at 600 for 1 min per side their was very little grey im assuming the amount of juices the steak was letting out affected the sear and I only seared for 60 sec per side max as I was afraid of passing the finish line
    lousubcap when I put the steak on yesterday I said I should have gone cave man I have not crossed that line yet but know its in my future

For reference enclosed is 30 seconds, rotate 30 then flip and repeat on CI