Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking forward to Texas

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Dodged a few bullets with that road-trip.  You are way better than me for going straight -thru.  Congrats on your arrival.  Best of luck with the remainder of the transition process-especially finding a house. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to The Great State of Texas!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    What a tragic accident.  Glad you are ok and made it through eventually.

So, let me ask a practical question or two.  With an unexpected 5 hour stop on the freeway, how did everyone handle the bathroom situation?  Anyone just go to sleep in the backseat of their car?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    What a tragic accident.  Glad you are ok and made it through eventually.

So, let me ask a practical question or two.  With an unexpected 5 hour stop on the freeway, how did everyone handle the bathroom situation?  Anyone just go to sleep in the backseat of their car?
    Some slept...especially the Team Drivers.  It was dark for most of delay and TEXAS roadside had plenty of bushes should nature call.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Treated myself to a couple of nice Bourbons.  It’s going to take a while to adjust since we could get Hard Spirits anywhere they sold beer & wine.  Have to stock up early for the weekend since it’s a no booze for you on Sunday thang.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have been here 5 years now.  Moved down from WA.  It was easier, because my wife is a born and raised Texan and her family is here.  Recently bought retirement property.  Here to stay.  Lived in CA for 2 years as well...  Hope all goes well with your move in.  Reach out with any questions!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Welcome to Texas.   Glad you made it safe to your new home. Temple is good area and Tyler is good place to put down roots  There are two Eggfest still on schedule. Texarkana and Dallas, both in the fall. Hope to meet you at one of them. 
    What area of Cali did you leave?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Welcome to TX!  Glad you made it safely, although your travels sound a little more adventurous than expected. Let me know if you ever make it up to the DFW area!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I worked in Tyler for 10 years but lived in Whitehouse.  You should check it out.  I left there in 2007.  
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Welcome to Texas.   Glad you made it safe to your new home. Temple is good area and Tyler is good place to put down roots  There are two Eggfest still on schedule. Texarkana and Dallas, both in the fall. Hope to meet you at one of them. 
    What area of Cali did you leave?
    Sorry for the delay in responding, but just got everything in storage in Tyler and getting settled at my friend’s place.  I lived in Upland in SoCal .  I’ll have to look at schedule for Eggfest and see what’s happening, but I’m planning on attending the BBQ Brethren at Lake Belton.  Going to start making pilot car runs with my friend so I’ll be looking for a reliable used truck to outfit with light bar, radio etc so I can generate some income.  
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Well I got most of the things in storage and she made it unscathed.  Going to have to do a Costco run soon.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome to Texas. I’m in Midland, which is outbin the boonies. Sadly I feel like I’m a million miles away from all the Texan eggheads.  
    That's because you are. One does not just get to Midland by accident
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Well I got most of the things in storage and she made it unscathed.  Going to have to do a Costco run soon.

so clean...

welcome to TX. I see you have already figured out our liquor laws are from the 1800's but with a little planning you can work around that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Maitai53
    Maitai53 Posts: 7
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Made the move from So Cal 27 years ago. I miss the ocean and dryer climate but the list of things I don’t miss is much longer. Great outdoor experiences are to be had in Texas and surrounding states. Live in McKinney north of Dallas- great access to many lakes and make the trip a couple times a year for saltwater fishing. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @SSQUAL612 - glad things are progressing and that your BGE is ready to go.  Costco may be nation-wide but HEB is worth your efforts for protein. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SSQUAL612 - glad things are progressing and that your BGE is ready to go.  Costco may be nation-wide but HEB is worth your efforts for protein. 
    Thanks Frank...I’m a Fan of HEB, but I’d like to find some SRF Black at $4.99 a lb for my 1st Brisket in Texas.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Looks like I’m a day late and a dollar short on the Costco SRF  :disappointed:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Welcome to Texas, we are glad to have you! ;)
    What will you be doing in Temple?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Welcome to Texas, we are glad to have you! ;)
    What will you be doing in Temple?
    Thank You Mickey.  Staying with a friend and ultimately I’ll be settling in Tyler.  SWMBO is in Cali still so heading back in a couple weeks for our Anniversary and to be with her for an upcoming surgery.   When I get back I’ll be getting setup to get started in pilot car business with a couple of friends so I’ll be looking for a good used truck to equip.  
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Well I moved into the new place in March and I’m really enjoying Tyler.  There’s not an HEB near me, but I found a meat market that is just awesome http://www.countrymarkettyler.com/.    We do have a “Fresh” in Tyler that’s an upscale Brookshires and it has a lot of specialty items I’ll need from time to time.  I’m flying out to Cali next month to drive SWMBO out so things will get back to almost normal soon.  

• SSQUAL612
    Options
    Welcome to Texas. I’m in Midland, which is outbin the boonies. Sadly I feel like I’m a million miles away from all the Texan eggheads.  
    I should have did a shout out to you when I was on some tank runs and ended in Odessa and Toyah.  The 6 hour deadhead home wasn’t fun.  Kinda ironic that the gas prices are some of the highest in the State in your area and it’s “Oil Country”.   
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Another hearty welcome to Texas!

there are two kinds of people in the world - those who live in Texas... and those who haven’t moved here yet :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Moving always ranks high on the stress-o-meter.  I've been through a few tough moves in my life, including one where I had to leave my wife behind for a short while, so I can sure relate.  I'm glad you and your wife can see the light at the end of the tunnel, now.  Sounds like you've found a nice area in Texas.  Congratulations and good luck with your pilot car business.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Tyler Texas home of Trane 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian