Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
Does anyone know that last time the mother ship changed the Mini (not the MiniMax)?  I was looking at one last week and the top (when open) had a bit of play - back and forth.  Wondering if this was an old design or just what you get.  I realized the top is not heavy, just looking for a more secure top. Also has the ceramics changed inside lately.  Sometime the slow movers sit around, you get a new egg with an old design.  Thanks for any knowledge on the subject.
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This may not be the most accurate but I believe these are the most recent changes in order from recent to older:

1. dome holder tabs 2016?
    2. notches in the fire ring to fit a mini plate setter 2013?
    3. handle change from two small rectangular blocks to the current wrap around style 2012
    4. Cooking Grid size change from 9.5” diameter to 10” diameter 2012
    5. Porcelain coated grid to 9.5” stainless grid 2011
    6. Hinge change from single arm to current style sometime before 2010?

My Mini (hatched in 2011) has a little play back and forth but not much.  I don’t recall any mention of a change to fix that.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Mine is a wiggler too.  Mine is a fraken mini.  It has had warranty parts, and I have bought some new parts as the upgrades that @R2Egg2Q outlined.  Mine doesn't go out much, but here is a picture of it from a year ago.  It has the bands with the hinges on both sides.

• JMCXL
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed updates, that will help me when I stop back in and check the one on display. Thinking of adding it to the collection 

Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Thanks for the detailed updates, that will help me when I stop back in and check the one on display. Thinking of adding it to the collection 

The mini is a novelty.  It doesn't serve any real purpose in my opinion other than kind of being cool.  I would not sell mine, it would not fetch enough money, and it doesn't take enough space to be a bother.  I fire it up maybe 3 times a year.  Its fun.  I would say go for it, but if you're looking for a micro egg, and this is going to be your only smaller egg, the medium/small/Mini Max/Kamado Joe jr would get my vote first.

Soon there will be the dedicated mini minions to discredit my words.  There will be some epic videos and pictures of what a mini can do.  =)  
  • JMCXL
    Options
    I think it is cool and is a great present someone can get me
    might side on my desk and put lights in it
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JMCXL said:

The mini is a novelty.  It doesn't serve any real purpose in my opinion other than kind of being cool.  I would not sell mine, it would not fetch enough money, and it doesn't take enough space to be a bother.  I fire it up maybe 3 times a year.  Its fun.  I would say go for it, but if you're looking for a micro egg, and this is going to be your only smaller egg, the medium/small/Mini Max/Kamado Joe jr would get my vote first.

Soon there will be the dedicated mini minions to discredit my words.  There will be some epic videos and pictures of what a mini can do.  =)  
    I’ll be the first minion to tell you that it all depends on how many you cook for.  I cook for 2 and my MINI is fired at least 4times a week.  Hell I’ve cooked for 6 on my mini. At the beach.  Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it is a novelty.  

Now I do agree that there are less expensive options such as the Akorn that might fit the OPs bill better 

I’m firing my novelty up here shortly to do a spatch Chicken that will feed 4 people.  Jus sayin 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    If I could get a brand new mini for say around $175-$200 I might bite. But around here new ones cost around $375. Ain't no freakin way I'm paying that for what amounts to a grate that's almost smaller than my hand. Granted I have freakishly large Grizzly Bear Hands but still.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket I'd still get a Weber kettle. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    If I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket I'd still get a Weber kettle. 

ehh been there done that. Weber kettles are Amateur hour to me.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    Options
    Webers are 100% functional utility - nothing amateurish about them. I love my Egg, but the Mini is better suited dangling on the end of a keychain  B)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Webers are 100% functional utility - nothing amateurish about them. I love my Egg, but the Mini is better suited dangling on the end of a keychain  B)

Prior to getting my Egg I had 3 Webers (A Performer, a Kettle, and a WSM). They always felt cheap to me. Plastic Wheels, cheap thin steel, terrible heat retention. The only thing I felt they did somewhat decent was High heat searing but even that was iffy because the design is so shallow that you get flare ups

• SonVolt
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Durability is up for interpretation. They may feel cheap, but guess which one would would survive a tumble, or being tossed in the bed of a truck on the go? My money's not going on the 75lb hunk of ceramic. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I enjoyed my kettle for many years. Cooked many a good meals. No opinion on the mine...I don’t have one....but would like one. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Lot of IFs from non owners 

analyze adapt overcome

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Lot of IFs from non owners 
    Agreed. You’d be surprised how much it gets used. Certainly not a novelty guys. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think everyone should have a chance to cook on a mini. Its a blast. But ultimately its a situation where you’re trying to figure out ways to make it work on the mini. I would say it’s worth it. Sorry for the novelty bit guys. To some it isn’t, and I respect that. To others, it is. It’s just perspective. 
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    I love my mini.  There a multiple nights a week my wife is working and my kids want crappy Mac and cheese. I just fire up the mini and throw on my protein.  It is a high heat grilling machine.  Never fired it up for a low and slow yet...
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    SonVolt said:

Prior to getting my Egg I had 3 Webers (A Performer, a Kettle, and a WSM). They always felt cheap to me. Plastic Wheels, cheap thin steel, terrible heat retention. The only thing I felt they did somewhat decent was High heat searing but even that was iffy because the design is so shallow that you get flare ups
    Sounds like you never really learned how to use your kettles and WSM. Harry Soo has won many bbq championships with nothing but his trusty old WSM.

Heat retention can certainly be a bit tricky on cold/windy/rainy/snowy days but for most of the year it's not much of a problem. But if one has problems keeping a temp range then using a pit controller works just as well on kettles/WSM's as all those folks running them on their ceramic kamados.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Sounds like you never really learned how to use your kettles and WSM. Harry Soo has won many bbq championships with nothing but his trusty old WSM.

Heat retention can certainly be a bit tricky on cold/windy/rainy/snowy days but for most of the year it's not much of a problem. But if one has problems keeping a temp range then using a pit controller works just as well on kettles/WSM's as all those folks running them on their ceramic kamados.

I know exactly how to use them just fine. I know who Harry Soo is. I didn’t say they don’t make good bbq. Just that they aren’t anything special. Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. But if I wanna go fast in ultimate luxury  there are better options. That was my point.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

I know exactly how to use them just fine. I know who Harry Soo is. I didn’t say they don’t make good bbq. Just that they aren’t anything special. Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. But if I wanna go fast in ultimate luxury  there are better options. That was my point.
    Weber = Honda Civic
    BGE = Honda Accord
    Komodo Kamado = whatever you consider to be a "fast in ultimate luxury" vehicle

And all three are capable of turning out the same finished product.

I get it though, some folks like a Rolex to tell the time while others are fine with a Seiko.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Weber = Honda Civic
    BGE = Honda Accord

I get it though, some folks like a Rolex to tell the time while others are fine with a Seiko.

I'm thinking more like this =)

Weber=Toyota Camry

BGE= Lexus GS

Komodo Kamado= Mercedes AMG GT

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I have a Timex that cost less than 10 bucks. However I do have a couple of high end razors. So I guess it evens out in the end.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JMCXL
    Options
    Just couldn’t resist the offer, thinknit was below cost. I am one happy guy. I have the best wife, just so you know!

this is my 5th egg...
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• JMCXL
    Options
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Awesome brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JMCXL
    Options
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the Mini!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    edited August 2018
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    That is one of the better mini pics Ive ever seen.  Here is one from last summer when I fired up the mini for a sear (looking into the firebox).  Im suprised I didnt melt the phone putting it basically in the opening.  The thing is a bbq microwave.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Weber = Honda Civic
    BGE = Honda Accord

I'm thinking more like this =)

Weber=Toyota Camry

BGE= Lexus GS

Komodo Kamado= Mercedes AMG GT

KK is at least a Bentley.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Mr OT has commented from personal experience 

analyze adapt overcome