Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini

Options
2»

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    That is one of the better mini pics Ive ever seen.  Here is one from last summer when I fired up the mini for a sear (looking into the firebox).  Im suprised I didnt melt the phone putting it basically in the opening.  The thing is a bbq microwave.

This may have sold me on a mini or minimax.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Webers are 100% functional utility - nothing amateurish about them. I love my Egg, but the Mini is better suited dangling on the end of a keychain  B)

Prior to getting my Egg I had 3 Webers (A Performer, a Kettle, and a WSM). They always felt cheap to me. Plastic Wheels, cheap thin steel, terrible heat retention. The only thing I felt they did somewhat decent was High heat searing but even that was iffy because the design is so shallow that you get flare ups
    Sounds like you never really learned how to use your kettles and WSM. Harry Soo has won many bbq championships with nothing but his trusty old WSM.

Heat retention can certainly be a bit tricky on cold/windy/rainy/snowy days but for most of the year it's not much of a problem. But if one has problems keeping a temp range then using a pit controller works just as well on kettles/WSM's as all those folks running them on their ceramic kamados.

I know exactly how to use them just fine. I know who Harry Soo is. I didn’t say they don’t make good bbq. Just that they aren’t anything special. Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. But if I wanna go fast in ultimate luxury  there are better options. That was my point.
    Weber = Honda Civic

D@mn....I drive a Civic. Shaming here in SC.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Webers are 100% functional utility - nothing amateurish about them. I love my Egg, but the Mini is better suited dangling on the end of a keychain  B)

Prior to getting my Egg I had 3 Webers (A Performer, a Kettle, and a WSM). They always felt cheap to me. Plastic Wheels, cheap thin steel, terrible heat retention. The only thing I felt they did somewhat decent was High heat searing but even that was iffy because the design is so shallow that you get flare ups
    Sounds like you never really learned how to use your kettles and WSM. Harry Soo has won many bbq championships with nothing but his trusty old WSM.

Heat retention can certainly be a bit tricky on cold/windy/rainy/snowy days but for most of the year it's not much of a problem. But if one has problems keeping a temp range then using a pit controller works just as well on kettles/WSM's as all those folks running them on their ceramic kamados.

I know exactly how to use them just fine. I know who Harry Soo is. I didn’t say they don’t make good bbq. Just that they aren’t anything special. Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. But if I wanna go fast in ultimate luxury  there are better options. That was my point.
    Weber = Honda Civic

D@mn....I drive a Civic. Shaming here in SC.

Nothing wrong with a Honda Civic. They get ya from point A to B. Just don't go around thinking you are in a Bugatti

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options
    Mr OT has commented from personal experience 
     Was that directed at me? I have never owned a KK or a Bentley.  I do own a mini (not the car) I really like it, novelty or not. It is light, easy to move, and lump burns in it.  Fit what I wanted exactly.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited August 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:

Weber = Honda Civic
    BGE = Honda Accord
    Komodo Kamado = whatever you consider to be a "fast in ultimate luxury" vehicle

And all three are capable of turning out the same finished product.

I get it though, some folks like a Rolex to tell the time while others are fine with a Seiko.

I'm thinking more like this =)

Weber=Toyota Camry

BGE= Lexus GS

Komodo Kamado= Mercedes AMG GT

Good choice, bar none. Def a mini in my future, not sure I agree on the Lexus/BGE comp. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    Probably not a good idea to burn charcoal in the house. I did it a few times, but the more I read, the more hazardous it sounded. CO is nasty stuff!
    Plus, sometimes they break...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    I hope everyone realizes that I was not cooking inside, it was LED lights in it...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• cookingdude555
    Options
    it looks lit, Ive had my mini that hot before!
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options

JMCXL said:
    Probably not a good idea to burn charcoal in the house. I did it a few times, but the more I read, the more hazardous it sounded. CO is nasty stuff!

We’re you able to finish the cook after the crack?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Powak said:

We’re you able to finish the cook after the crack?
    The broken Mini wasn't mine. Belonged to @lowercasebill who used to be a regular, but hasn't been on here in ages. Don't remember whether he finished the cook or not. As I understand it, this egg is the reason today's Mini nest exists.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    I love my mini. Novelty maybe but not really. This was one of my first mini cooks.Tie my legs next time but it didn’t matter. Our case Weesie and I only and a steak and burger works Great. It fires up quickly and it burns all my small coal. Each size has its own place. 
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    congrats! that's a great looking little cooker.  if i had an egg of every size, i would find good uses for every single one.

glad to hear those were LEDs, I was a little concerned!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle