Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket gods lifeline

Good morning Eggheads,
I am in need of some quick advice regarding the holy cow. My brisket finished up this morning a lot earlier than anticipated (meat jello jiggle, probing everywhere between 198-203) so I am going to FTC for lunch. My question is with a long FTC (5-6 hours) should I let the brisket rest on the counter before I place in cooler?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited July 2018
    While not a brisket god (yet...) I still say you need to let it rest for 15-20 minutes on the counter before you FTC.  5-6 hour should not be an issue if you have the cooler and towels warm.  Throw the towels in the dryer and have hot water in the cooler (just make sure you dump the water out before you put the brisket in!  =)

Post some pics so we can be jealous of your feast today! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would let it rest a little while. Stick a pribe in it abd once the IT drops a couple of degrees you should be good. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    With as long a rest as you're anticipation, I'm not sure it matters. Let us know which way you went and how it shook out.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I have BPTC for 6 hours, in my Yeti 65 previously, with no issues. It was still very warm out of the cooler, and first slice still produced steam. I was, to say the least, extremely surprised.
    It was yet another brisket cook that did not go to plan, just like everyone before it, and everyone after it.
    You got this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Sounds like you are in for a real banquet.  I'm late to this party as no life-line here but the above is solid advice.  The reason for the cooling rack rest is to ensure you don't continue with carry-over cooking once you have hit the sweet-spot.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks all. Let it rest around 15 minutes then threw it in cooler. How far can I push the time in cooler?  7 year old is no craving at trip to Local amusement park which would push slicing time back lol. Kids...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Officially, you're good as long as the meat stays above 140 F.  Once it goes below that you theoretically have 4 hours to eat it.  

So, I like mine to come out of the cooler above that temp - and that is my official internet advice. 

With that said, you killed everything in that hunk of meat when you cooked it to 200 F.  And nothing really grows at 130 or 125 -it just isn't killed at that temp.  So, as long as it is warm to the touch I would slice and serve it.  

The answer you were really looking for is that you can get 6-8 hours - depending on the quality of the cooler.

If it's going to be much longer than that, you might refrigerate and reheat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Depending on your weather, stick the cooler in the sun for some additional help.  BTW- I have gone 6+ hrs with an elcheapo Igloo cooler for FTC and the protein temp was still about 144*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    You needn't let it rest before FTC. It will rest during FTC.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Id say the rest worked out!  Thanks for all the help this am!

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Nailed it!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Can’t argue with those results. And that bark...nailed it. 
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Good work! Looks delightful. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • lousubcap
    Now that is the way to bring it home.  Congrats on the cook and the exceptional outcome.  
    @theeggcellentchef - how long did you end up with the FTC??  
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Id smash that! Beautiful bark.
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Looks great. What did you season it with? Nice bark!
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • A mix of meat Church holy cow blended with dizzy pig crossroads and 3 little pigs Memphis seasoning. I usually just use holy cow but didn’t have enough so added the other 2. I really liked the three together . The dizzy pig has some earthy spice and the 3 little pigs Memphis has a nice Worcestershire flavor in it that is great on beef. Got lucky with the combo!
  • Any advice on freezing what I can’t finish?  I have a food saver and won’t be able to get to all of the brisket.