Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

finally ready to get another grill: is bge still the go-to?

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I had a large and a mini bge, though I did not use the mini much, but a divorce has left me without one for last several years. loved the large and pretty sure a large bge is the route I am going to go down

but there are way more options on the market now. is the bge still the route to go?

vision, kamado joe, Louisiana grill, pit boss, cal flame, hanover, and I am sure several others

basically, is there any reason not to get the BGE? I assume not but just double checking
Boom

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,797
    With its warranty, versatility, and community, I can't think of anything better than an egg.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• FanOfFanboys
    Foghorn said:
    With its warranty, versatility, and community, I can't think of anything better than an egg.
    warranty is what I was thinking would be their edge and why I am sure that is the route I would go again

versatility I could probably also get from other kamados, I can be apart of the community without a bge
    Boom
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    I researched until I was sick of researching, and then researched another few months. I think you’re really looking at 3 main players: BGE, Primo and KJ. 

I went BGE because I wanted to support the local dealer(s) and value shopping local. I also really liked the Ceramic Grill Store and went with a Woo & Halfmoon plates. 

My second choice is Primo, because they’re USA made and it’s a cool design. Something about Made in America for such an American pass time. I saw a cool YouTube video on the plant in Tucker GA. 

Lastly, KJ. I personally think they’re way too overstretched right now with new products. Too many irons in the fire and I think they’re losing focus trying to take down BGE. I follow their FB page, and I think it’s pretty apparent their Customer Service is pretty spotty...some amazing testimonies but a lot of poor experiences. But really I have a personal beef with the company and CEO...so at one point I was an avid KJ supporter, but now I’ll never buy or recommend them again. 

Good luck! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I would stick with BGE or kamado joe. I’ve had good luck with my eggs. The Weber 26” is also hard to beat if you want to save some money over a kamado for now. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    I would stick with BGE or kamado joe. I’ve had good luck with my eggs. The Weber 26” is also hard to beat if you want to save some money over a kamado for now. 
    weber is what I have been using the last few years. life is pretty settled now, divorce final for 2 years, and I am ready to step back up again ha 
    Boom
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Yes BGE...………………….

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FanOfFanboys
    I just checked BGE's site and unfortunately, there are not any eggfests the rest of 2018 near me
    Boom
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Hands down BGE
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I hear the he small doesn’t get any love.  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • FanOfFanboys
    it looks like there is an eggfest Oct 13th at stone mountain, ga

for some reason it is not listed on bge's site

how much cheaper are they are eggfests? couple hundred or like $50?

Boom
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BGE fan until I die. But at age 74 now maybe my position further down this conveyor belt of life means my days here are shorter than yours so you need to decide for yourself! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    edited July 2018
    I heard Georgia Spa was running a deal on a large package for $789 if you happen to be close to metro Atlanta. 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    $399 and free shipping at Sam's. Hope this doesn't get me banned.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I honestly don't think you can best this for the price. I'd jump on it without thinking twice:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jamesj
    jamesj Posts: 36
    Your question was, is there any reason not to go BGE, the answer is no.
    What you need to decide is if your going to get the woo thing and use their platesetter or get the BGE one and go the factory route. 
    Large BGE  Houston TX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    I'll throw the Weber Summit Charcoal into the mix just becuz.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    WeberWho said:
    I honestly don't think you can best this for the price. I'd jump on it without thinking twice:

If that is the new version with the improved hinge  and divide and conquer I would jump on it as well. 

I would pick the KJ over the egg for the same price. Really nice hinge and gasket, plus all the extras to do indirect and raises direct are included. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Been waiting three months for my warranty claim on my base, firebox and ring. Yeah, not so impressed with the famous BGE warranty here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    How in the world did you lose your egg in the divorce?!  That's the real question here...   ;)

And BGE for life over here.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RichH
    RichH Posts: 41
    it looks like there is an eggfest Oct 13th at stone mountain, ga

for some reason it is not listed on bge's site

how much cheaper are they are eggfests? couple hundred or like $50?

They usually sell the Large BGE's used at the fest for around $795. I think it includes the egg, platesetter, nest, grid gripper and a bag of lump.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Smokeware Chimney, Kick Ash basket, Rutland Gasket and BBQ Guru DigiQ

St. Petersburg, FL
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I would base your decision on the dealers in your area. I love my eggs, but your investment is only as good as your dealer. I live in the middle of a BGE dealer wasteland. I went to the “good” dealer recently, for a replacement platesetter and he looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my ass when I told him what I was looking to purchase. After a little back and forth with him typing on his computer, he turns the monitor around and says “hey look, you can buy one of those on Amazon.” I shook my head, thanked him and left. I’ve since found another that seems to be pretty good, but they’re an hour away and I pass 2 other dealers to get there. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    WeberWho said:

well, that might be hard to pass on

hmm
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited July 2018
    after looking it appears it is the classic I, and not the classic 2 with all the upgrades
    Boom
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Man I can't say a single bad thing about my kamado Joe. They replaced my wooden side tables and handles with the new black ones no questions asked. Fire box developed a crack, so i sent them a picture thinking it would take a while to actually get one, I had the new petal style on my porch by the end of the week.
    Pretty much all large egg accessories work in the classic size. Plus the newest models have a really nice hinge, gasket and the divide and conquer system. I rock the woo from the CGS, but the stock system looks pretty good!

Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited July 2018
    Man I can't say a single bad thing about my kamado Joe. They replaced my wooden side tables and handles with the new black ones no questions asked. Fire box developed a crack, so i sent them a picture thinking it would take a while to actually get one, I had the new petal style on my porch by the end of the week.
    Pretty much all large egg accessories work in the classic size. Plus the newest models have a really nice hinge, gasket and the divide and conquer system. I rock the woo from the CGS, but the stock system looks pretty good!

so you have the classic 1? that is what the deal for $700 is, not the two. 
    Boom
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Yea I have the classic. It's the same size as the classic 2, just less bells and whistles. Mine is almost identical to a large egg.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    GoooDawgs said:
    How in the world did you lose your egg in the divorce?!  That's the real question here...   ;)

'Cause bitches be crazy! 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • FanOfFanboys
    Matt86m said:
    GoooDawgs said:

'Cause bitches be crazy! 
    this is accurate
    Boom
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Jeremiah said:
    Been waiting three months for my warranty claim on my base, firebox and ring. Yeah, not so impressed with the famous BGE warranty here. 
    That happened to me the first time I made a warranty claim and it turned out it was the fault of the dealer I was using rather than BGE itself- I ended up contacting BGE about it, they put me in touch with another dealer that is further away from me but much more customer focused.  Now when I have an issue, the dealer replaces whatever the piece is the day I ask for it, and he deals with BGE to get it approved after-the-fact.  EASY.

Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • FanOfFanboys
    Yea I have the classic. It's the same size as the classic 2, just less bells and whistles. Mine is almost identical to a large egg.
    Hmm now I'm back on this as an option

$700 is a great value. I can upgrade gasket, get woo (which I would with BGE), still be ahead dollar wise 
    Boom