Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beating the heat in the UK

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BTW, you people are quite nice.
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    I hear those 80F heatwaves are brutal. 
    30+ Celcius = 86+ Fahrenheit....That's brutal for tea. 
    Indians drink tea. It's hot there. We're still drinking tea in the 'heatwave'.
    I was referring to the meal as served outdoors, as you serve the beverage hot.
    You drink tea cold? Sounds delightful.
    I do.  I'm a philistine of sorts, and it came naturally.  SWMBO does her silly hot tea (of course in a Yeti tumbler) in the morning like a ritual.  Turns out, she had her DNA test and she's the like of you lot, provided you're "real" Irish/Brit fellows.  I'm sure you're tweaked that some DNA tests lump the two together, like cats and dogs are in the pet category. 

Can't get too chatty, as that's frowned upon by the upper crust and all that.
    I'm 75% English / Welsh and 25% French (grandmother was French with some Spanish mixed in). Anne is Irish. The Irish love their tea, possibly even more than the Brits. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348

Tea. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

Iced Tea isn't a thing in the UK? That's the national drink here in the Southern US, typically mixed half tea / half sugar until it forms pancake syrup. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    SonVolt said:
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:

Iced Tea isn't a thing in the UK? That's the national drink here in the Southern US, typically mixed half tea / half sugar until it forms pancake syrup. 
    No iced tea here, just the real thing.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    In the USA, diagnosed diabetes is almost double, in population percentage, than the UK.

The lack of the phenomena that is "southern sweet tea" may have a minor influence on that lower number for our friends in the UK.

If utilizing only the southeastern states of the USA, for diagnosed diabetes, per population, the numbers are significantly impacted leading to percentages that are astoundingly higher for those often associated in consuming "sweet tea".

Of course "sweet tea" is not the entire issue for the alarming prevalent diabetic numbers, but adds to the conversation.

We are way better than the Marshall Islands, for percentages of diagnosed diabetes, though.

We got that going for us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SonVolt
    Eoin said: 
    just the real thing.

Oh, you mean coffee. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited July 2018
    "How can you have any pudding if you don't beat yer heat?"
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    YEMTrey said:
    "How can you have any pudding if you don't beat yer heat?"
    ISWYDT
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Eoin
    SonVolt said:
    Eoin said: 
    just the real thing.

Oh, you mean coffee. 
    American coffee has a reputation.
  • SonVolt
    The best in the world? 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    YukonRon said:
    In the USA, diagnosed diabetes is almost double, in population percentage, than the UK.

The lack of the phenomena that is "southern sweet tea" may have a minor influence on that lower number for our friends in the UK.

If utilizing only the southeastern states of the USA, for diagnosed diabetes, per population, the numbers are significantly impacted leading to percentages that are astoundingly higher for those often associated in consuming "sweet tea".

Of course "sweet tea" is not the entire issue for the alarming prevalent diabetic numbers, but adds to the conversation.

We are way better than the Marshall Islands, for percentages of diagnosed diabetes, though.

The heavy usage of Coke and other corn syrup sweetened drinks may have something to do with it also.
  • Eoin
    YukonRon said:

When watching American shows on TV and someone is in a fast food place or getting a drive thru, the size of the soft drinks servings is amazing. I get that people want value for money, but that much sugar isn't good for anyone.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SonVolt
    Diet soda is zero calories and zero sugar. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

The heavy usage of Coke and other corn syrup sweetened drinks may have something to do with it also.
    "Of course "sweet tea" is not the entire issue for the alarming prevalent diabetic numbers, but adds to the conversation."

Like most BBQ sauces, and other things....for example: alcohol, lack of exercise, white breads, etc. Part of the dilemma but not the entire reason.

Let's not forget the difference in the provided healthcare, either.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Yes it is probable that people in the UK bicycle and walk a lot more .
  • Eoin
    Yes it is probable that people in the UK bicycle and walk a lot more .
    I imagine that our cycling infrastructure is better than in the US, where the car is king, but we are way behind other European countries. The UK is a shambles these days, nothing seems to get done.
  • SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Kinda hard to compare the two considering the size difference. I think a UK comparison state-by-state is a more fair comparison, especially if we're comparing infrastructure, obesity and other factors.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I have 3, gallon jugs of iced tea in the frig in rotation at all times.  And the best tasting comes from doing it "sun-tea" style, but NOT putting it in the sun, but straight into the frig.  In 24 hours, Nirvana.  No sugar at all.

And the cretin who invented "raspberry" iced tea needs to be shot.  :anguished:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• YukonRon
    SonVolt said:
    Kinda hard to compare the two considering the size difference. I think a UK comparison state-by-state is a more fair comparison, especially if we're comparing infrastructure, obesity and other factors.

% of population diagnosed.....used by the WHO and CDC for statistical analysis.
    Go by states, the SE USA has the 10 of the top 12 if memory serves me correctly at numbers somewhat higher than the national average.

Diagnosed diabetes is one number, the undiagnosed diabetes is thought to be higher.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    SonVolt said:

Good point, we look forward to your detailed analysis state by state.
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Botch said:
    I have 3, gallon jugs of iced tea in the frig in rotation at all times.  And the best tasting comes from doing it "sun-tea" style, but NOT putting it in the sun, but straight into the frig.  In 24 hours, Nirvana.  No sugar at all.

Now there's a man that likes his ice tea !

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• SonVolt
    Botch said:

Hmmm, cold brew tea? I may have to try this. I do this for coffee in the summer and it's amazing. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    sweet iced tea is completely disgusting to me =) maybe if you put it out in the sun with some bread for a few days where the prison guard doesnt find it.  cold brew tea sounds good with no sugar
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eoin
    Cooled down and heavy rain on and off since Friday here. Back to normal summer weather.