Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Kamado Grill

Options

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I like Wes. He's a straight shooter.
    OK I just caught the name.
    New Orleans LA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I don't like the KJ's use of Plastic everywhere. To me it makes it look and feel cheap. I also feel the internal guts feel cheaply made. That's why I went with the BGE. Everything at least to me seems well built, I love the wood and green. Plus the KJ is no longer any cheaper than the egg in most places around me. For everything out the door I paid $1,200 including tax for my large egg. This included the nest, side tables, platesetter, grid gripper, ash tool, a bag of BGE Charcoal and a box of BGE cardboard charcoal lighter blocks. Everywhere I looked around here the KJ with all the above was $1,200 plus tax so in reality I saved around $100 buying the BGE. If the RTIC can deliver similar quality to the BGE and a nice warranty and only costing $600 for the whole package, that could really disrupt the market. But if its cheaply made and they give a 5 year warranty I dunno how much of an impact they will have.

@chuckytheegghead, just curious how is this exactly off topic?
    Fixed that for you bud. Scrolling on the mobile will do that. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    slovelad said:
    slovelad said:
    Quiet down hippies 
    That would be a great saying for a sticker!   =)
    @tarheelmatt will you be my business manager? We can strike it rich, or wealthy enough to buy a SRF gold brisket
    Brother you do not want me to manage anything.  I can barely manage to put my draws on the right way these days.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't like the KJ's use of Plastic everywhere. To me it makes it look and feel cheap. I also feel the internal guts feel cheaply made. That's why I went with the BGE. Everything at least to me seems well built, I love the wood and green. Plus the KJ is no longer any cheaper than the egg in most places around me. For everything out the door I paid $1,200 including tax for my large egg. This included the nest, side tables, platesetter, grid gripper, ash tool, a bag of BGE Charcoal and a box of BGE cardboard charcoal lighter blocks. Everywhere I looked around here the KJ with all the above was $1,200 plus tax so in reality I saved around $100 buying the BGE. If the RTIC can deliver similar quality to the BGE and a nice warranty and only costing $600 for the whole package, that could really disrupt the market. But if its cheaply made and they give a 5 year warranty I dunno how much of an impact they will have.
    The KJ sells with their Divide and Conquer system (basically the Adjustable Rig from CGS). It’s superior to the platesetter and grid combo IMO. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    The KJ sells with their Divide and Conquer system (basically the Adjustable Rig from CGS). It’s superior to the platesetter and grid combo IMO. 

I can halfway agree with that. I like the idea of 2 half stones vs the 1 solid piece. I don't however care for the elevated half rack. I just don't see a situation where I would want to only be able to use half my lower cooking surface . That's why I bought the PS woo with Extended grid. Does CGS make a system like the PSWoo with extended grid, where I can have my normal grid at felt level and then a full grid above but with 2 half stones in place of the platesetter?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

I can halfway agree with that. I like the idea of 2 half stones vs the 1 solid piece. I don't however care for the elevated half rack. I just don't see a situation where I would want to only be able to use half my lower cooking surface . That's why I bought the PS woo with Extended grid. Does CGS make a system like the PSWoo with extended grid, where I can have my normal grid at felt level and then a full grid above but with 2 half stones in place of the platesetter?
     Yep, they sure do.

I have half stones and half racks to use with my AR. An elevated half rack is handy when you want something higher in the dome, maybe cooking indirect with a half stone under it. Then move it to the lower grid to cook direct and crisp up chicken skin or get some char on the protein.

Not for everyday egging, but a handy option to have. Many other permutations and options with the A&R too. Also with the KJ Divide and Conquer, which is similar (copied?) to the AR.

If cost was the deciding factor against the KJ, you likely  ended up spending more buying the BGE + PS Woo + extended grid. I myself am all about the BGE Kool-Aid, which is why I went with BGE.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We don't have CGS stuff here in the UK, I bought a standard semi circular kiln shelf to use as a half stone resting on the XL fire ring and some pieces of refactory lining (easy to cut) to put the standard grid at felt line level.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,040
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well, if it's free...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    DMW said:
    Well, if it's free...
    If anyone should know about that, it’s you
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Z grill... is this a gender neutral grill?  So confused.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:

My concern with a RTIC kamado is warranty claims / parts availability.  The basic drainplug for all their coolers have been out of stock for many months now.  How long for a new firebox?

Don’t let this concern you. The reason they are sold out is Yeti owners are buying RTIC drain plugs now that they have figured out that they are interchangeable. Plus they are half the price. Also note that the Yeti drain plugs are sold out and have been for quite some time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

My concern with a RTIC kamado is warranty claims / parts availability.  The basic drainplug for all their coolers have been out of stock for many months now.  How long for a new firebox?

Don’t let this concern you. The reason they are sold out is Yeti owners are buying RTIC drain plugs now that they have figured out that they are interchangeable. Plus they are half the price. Also note that the Yeti drain plugs are sold out and have been for quite some time. 

I think I need that RTIC trucker hat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I wish that RTIC would start making vehicles. I would buy one tomorrow.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I wish that RTIC would start making vehicles shaving gear. I would buy one it all tomorrow.  
    I think that is what you meant to say.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I wish that RTIC would start making vehicles shaving gear. I would buy one it all tomorrow.  
    I think that is what you meant to say.
     No way.  Knock-off trucks, coolers, and mugs, but NOT shaving gear!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You can't buy the trucker hat. It's sold out.
    There used to be a guy who machined aluminum drain plugs for Yetis with a pressure release valve built in. People had problems with the Yetis getting a vacuum seal and they couldn't open the coolers without opening the drain plug. The plugs weren't cheap. I've never had the vacuum problem myself.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If rrtic wants to do something really revolutionary (ok, but not really... just less of a total copy cat), they should make a primo oval in stainless steel; not of scrappy akorn quality, but of bubba keg quality. That would be especially Awesome since most of you, with good reason, think the warranty is gonna suck.  I love my bubba keg, but the price is now 4x the akorn
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I would like an RTIC Roccbox for around $250.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    I would like an RTIC Roccbox for around $250.
    Lovely "Roccbox green". $80 wholesale if you buy a full container.
    RTIC price - $175-$200????

No word on availability of gas burner in the USA tho. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    i see a square ceramic grill being prone to cracking =)

so what?  Because the round ones "never" crack? 

I can jump on board with warranty change issues, but by design ANY ceramic grill is prone to cracking...hell given time and the right stress, any material is prone to cracking.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I wonder if it can boil water better than the egg.
    I have to admit that I've personally never seen anyone actually attempt to boil water on an Egg, so I'm not convinced it can be done.  If RTIC can show a video demonstration of that, I bet their smokers will sell like hot cakes.  
    Didnt attempt to boil water but used  MM woo setup to boil oil for french fries.  Excellent results
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I wonder if it can boil water better than the egg.
    I have to admit that I've personally never seen anyone actually attempt to boil water on an Egg, so I'm not convinced it can be done.  If RTIC can show a video demonstration of that, I bet their smokers will sell like hot cakes.  
    Didnt attempt to boil water but used  MM woo setup to boil oil for french fries.  Excellent results
     Rockwood, Royal Oak, Western, Frontier, or Cowboy lump?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    lwrehm said:
    i see a square ceramic grill being prone to cracking =)

so what?  Because the round ones "never" crack? 

I can jump on board with warranty change issues, but by design ANY ceramic grill is prone to cracking...hell given time and the right stress, any material is prone to cracking.

square just adds 4 more stress areas where cracks will form
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Saw this in Costco. Cooking grate is about the same size as a LBGE. The ceramic might be a little thicker than on my BGE. This comes with everything including a multi-level cooking grid. Let's see RTIC get to half that price.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Dong is rightt, was a mistake. Meant to hit the dickhead button.
    Wes - Have you paid @RRP yet?!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    hahaha...the WJ you picked to show is both the wrong race and wrong age.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    Options
    RRP said:
    hahaha...the WJ you picked to show is both the wrong race and wrong age.
    Man, you gave up the game. @GrateEggspectations actually thought @WesJohnson was the jerk that stiffed you $11.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Saw this in Costco. Cooking grate is about the same size as a LBGE. The ceramic might be a little thicker than on my BGE. This comes with everything including a multi-level cooking grid. Let's see RTIC get to half that price.

The lid and latch on the Costco one is no bueno.