Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to load smoke wood for turbo or low and slow

Options
Did a pork shoulder yesterday used Apple and pecan for the smoke and just laid out about 6 to 8 good sized chunks boy did it smoke a lot. I waited until it died down and the put the pork on. Should I have put it on while it was smoking intensely? I think also I should have had it throughout the charcoal so as the fire expanded it was still smoking.. 

Thoughts?
XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I bury the chunks of wood in the lump so they don't burn all at the stat of the cook. How was the pork when you ate it?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    The pork was super tender but the wife said there wasn't much smoke flavors and I agree. Even the smoldering was pretty small.. 
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Jupiter Jim has the best idea for wood chunks in a long low and slow like a pork butt. I will add several fist sized chunks (6-8) into the lump on long low and slow cooks.
    I also use peach to smoke with. (Personal preference on smoke profile, of course). That number seems to suit those I cook for, rather nicely.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As above, layer the smoke wood chunks into the lump load. For me the initial burn pattern is down and toward the back just right of center (the direction of air flow).  If looking to add more I will mix chips throughout the lump.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For low and slows, small chunks are good, so are chips. The restricted, no flare ups air flow in the egg allow the use of chips which easily spread throughout the lump, IMHO. I often split chunks down to finger size. 
    For turbo, chunks are ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.. you all rock..
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC