Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a no salt seasoning

Options
Hey all, I want to add some heat to "candied bacon", like a sweet then heat kind of deal. I tried a little Everglades heat and realized I need something that doesn't have salt in the mix.  Does anyone have a spice recommendation?  Every label I've checked locally has salt as the first or second ingredient. Suggestions on a homemade blend are also welcomed. 

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dizzy Pig has a good assortment of no salt seasoning.  Todd's Dirt also has a no salt no MSG Original Dirt  http://www.toddsdirt.com/products.htm  You can always up the heat to any rub with cayanne.  Or, search for Mickey's Rub on forum and leave out the salt.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If it was me, I would mix my own.  Add what you like, for candied bacon I would probably use black pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cayenne/red pepper flake and a touch of garlic and onion powders.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Try making it with hand-ground herbs/aromatics and maybe some bourbon + turbinado sugar. Make this into a paste and brush it onto the bacon. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Sorry, I miss read your post...thought you were looking for no salt rubs.  Actually, Mickey's rub will work for candied bacon, remove the salt, up the brown sugar,  add bakers chocolate and sub cayenne for the ancho pepper.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    If all you want is to add heat, I would just use cayenne or hot sauce to whatever you're using to candy the bacon. FWIW
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Legume said:
    If it was me, I would mix my own.  Add what you like, for candied bacon I would probably use black pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cayenne/red pepper flake and a touch of garlic and onion powders.
    That’s pretty much the base. If it’s going to be Egg’d, could go w ordinary paprika, no smoked needed, tho’ the smoked seems to be a better grade paprika.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Oakridge is my go to.  Most of theirs are no salt.

https://www.oakridgebbq.com
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! Thanks all, this is going to be a delicious process.  

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited July 2018
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited July 2018
    Options
      edit .... wow, looks like you are right.  did they change their mixes?  I could have swore they were no salt.  My bad.  I find most commercial rubs way to salty.  OR rubs were perfect for me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin