Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: RTIC Kamado Grill

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Pay now and you might get yours in April 2019. Actually get an email in April that says it’ll be August...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Pay now and you might get yours in April 2019. Actually get an email in April that says it’ll be August...
    i could easily wait them out =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

That being said, I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 
    Considering big green egg just dropped the price of the 2XL to $1999 from $2999 My guess is the profit margin’s are insane on these things
    Redesign. Not the same unit. 
    Virtually nothing changed correct? They got a new Daisy wheel at the top And also a new grate and plate setter. Sizewise They are the exact same footprint. are they using cheaper ceramics? 
    Wrong. It’s kinda like the MM and the small sorta deal. 
    So basically the exact same grill with a shorter base. And probably slight changes to fire box? Hardly a big redesign. Either way, price was reduced by 1/3. Thats a signifcant drop.
    Yep drastic price reduction. Nope, not the same grill. If it was of no consequence, why do you feel they went through the significant trouble to change production parameters? Just cuz all manufacturers like retooling when there is no need? I’m sure that’s it. Anyway, the new one appears to be a better value. 
    You are the one stating the redesign like it was a big change that enabled BGE to reduce the price, not the fact it was just overpriced from the start. Tell us, what big tooling changes were made besides the shorter base?
    You keep saying not the same grill. We know the base is shorter, agree. Big deal, not.
    What else?
    All I'm saying is it was redesigned. Maybe it was overpriced and they didn't sell. That's for the market to decide. You are obviously a manufacturing wiz and I will bow to your vast experience that retooling and re engineering a product is no issue for companies. I wasn't aware folks did that on a whim just to fool people into paying less for something that is the same. I always thought that it would be easier and cheaper just to keep it the same and lower the price. Boy was I off base. My apologies.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @pgprescott are all 10,624 of your comments antagonizing condescending drivel?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
     Don't get me wrong it is entertaining but if you speak to people in person like you do on this forum I would be surprised.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Wondering how well this thing will cook a 1/2" ribeye?  Asking for a friend.  TIA. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Wondering how well this thing will cook a 1/2" ribeye?  Asking for a friend.  TIA. 
    Hahahaha bring back the 1/2". It should never die.
    O-Town, FL

• @pgprescott are all 10,624 of your comments antagonizing condescending drivel?
    @pgprescott didn't start this one.  He was instigated.  

Little Rock, AR

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    @HeavyG

That being said, I wonder if the mark up is that high for Kamados that they could undercut the big guys significantly and still turn a profit? 
    Considering big green egg just dropped the price of the 2XL to $1999 from $2999 My guess is the profit margin’s are insane on these things
    Redesign. Not the same unit. 
    Virtually nothing changed correct? They got a new Daisy wheel at the top And also a new grate and plate setter. Sizewise They are the exact same footprint. are they using cheaper ceramics? 
    Wrong. It’s kinda like the MM and the small sorta deal. 
    So basically the exact same grill with a shorter base. And probably slight changes to fire box? Hardly a big redesign. Either way, price was reduced by 1/3. Thats a signifcant drop.
    Yep drastic price reduction. Nope, not the same grill. If it was of no consequence, why do you feel they went through the significant trouble to change production parameters? Just cuz all manufacturers like retooling when there is no need? I’m sure that’s it. Anyway, the new one appears to be a better value. 
    You are the one stating the redesign like it was a big change that enabled BGE to reduce the price, not the fact it was just overpriced from the start. Tell us, what big tooling changes were made besides the shorter base?
    You keep saying not the same grill. We know the base is shorter, agree. Big deal, not.
    What else?
    All I'm saying is it was redesigned. Maybe it was overpriced and they didn't sell. That's for the market to decide. You are obviously a manufacturing wiz and I will bow to your vast experience that retooling and re engineering a product is no issue for companies. I wasn't aware folks did that on a whim just to fool people into paying less for something that is the same. I always thought that it would be easier and cheaper just to keep it the same and lower the price. Boy was I off base. My apologies.
    You were the one making a big deal about the redesign. I just thought you might know what changes were actually made. But I guess not. I was told it was just a shorter base. This is far from a redesign or complete plant remodel in order to produce this new XXL. But again, I was just looking for more info and you made it sound like you had information about the changes.
    Relax, I'm not trying to pick a fight. If you have no idea what changes were made it's ok to admit it. I don't know for sure either.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    edited July 2018

Never met @pgprescott  before but his posts are normally solid and I would for sure buy him beer any time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Photo Egg said:
    You were the one making a big deal about the redesign. I just thought you might know what changes were actually made. But I guess not. I was told it was just a shorter base. This is far from a redesign or complete plant remodel in order to produce this new XXL. But again, I was just looking for more info and you made it sound like you had information about the changes.
    Relax, I'm not trying to pick a fight. If you have no idea what changes were made it's ok to admit it. I don't know for sure either.
    I just want to know as you do how exactly shortening the base by say 3", changing the daisy wheel, and putting in what I assume is a cheaper platesetter is a $1,000 price decrease. @pgprescott Im not trying to argue with you. But I agree with Photo, That's doesn't seem like a complete redesign to me. Even if you do consider it a full redesign. To me I don't see how those changes equate to a 33% price decrease. I aint mad, The decrease would make me seriously consider buying one if I had the need for it. I don't so I won't but if BGE can minimally "redesign" an egg and knock $1,000 off the price and still make a nice profit, that tells me that all of these eggs are way way cheaper to make than we may think and they have a hefty profit margin on all of them. I would bet too that the smaller the egg size the greater the profit margin.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Big green egg is not gonna divulge their business decisions to everybody.  There is no telling exactly why they approached it the way they did.  

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Photo Egg said:

Never met @pgprescott  before but his posts are normally solid and I would for sure buy him beer any time.
    Hope to reciprocate that with you some day. I’m just saying things are rarely as simple as they appear to the layperson. I’m pretty sure somewhere in the middle lies the real story. No big deal. Like I said, the new one appears to be a better value, for whatever reason one chooses. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Quiet down hippies 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    slovelad said:
    Quiet down hippies 
    That would be a great saying for a sticker!   =)
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I think the BGEs are probably overpriced relative to the kamado market.    Knowing what I do now, if I needed a new kamado I’d probably give the competition a serious look.  I’d probably look at KJ before RTIC though.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    I think the BGEs are probably overpriced relative to the kamado market.    Knowing what I do now, if I needed a new kamado I’d probably give the competition a serious look.  I’d probably look at KJ before RTIC though.

I looked at a KJ at Costco and wasn't super impressed from the short time I spent with it. It had a lot of bells and whistles but it just didn't seem as well made. Lots of chips and edges that were crumbling, but it was a floor model so... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    I don't like the KJ's use of Plastic everywhere. To me it makes it look and feel cheap. I also feel the internal guts feel cheaply made. That's why I went with the BGE. Everything at least to me seems well built, I love the wood and green. Plus the KJ is no longer any cheaper than the egg in most places around me. For everything out the door I paid $1,200 including tax for my large egg. This included the nest, side tables, platesetter, grid gripper, ash tool, a bag of BGE Charcoal and a box of BGE cardboard charcoal lighter blocks. Everywhere I looked around here the KJ with all the above was $1,200 plus tax so in reality I saved around $100 buying the BGE. If the RTIC can deliver similar quality to the BGE and a nice warranty and only costing $600 for the whole package, that could really disrupt the market. But if its cheaply made and they give a 5 year warranty I dunno how much of an impact they will have.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

My concern with a RTIC kamado is warranty claims / parts availability.  The basic drainplug for all their coolers have been out of stock for many months now.  How long for a new firebox?

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    SonVolt said:

I looked at a KJ at Costco and wasn't super impressed from the short time I spent with it. It had a lot of bells and whistles but it just didn't see very well made as a whole, the thing just didn't feel very solid. Lots of chips and edges that were crumbling, but it was a floor model so... 
    The ceramic material used in the KJ is courser and not as fine grain.
    Makes the unglazed surface look cheap. No  problems with mine. It fills in black just like my BGEs. So far no quality issues different than my Eggs.
    Fire box in my KJ Jr cracks just like my BGEs. Filed warranty online yesterday for fire box. Email this morning telling me it was approved and would be shipping to my house soon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I wonder if it can boil water better than the egg.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    slovelad said:
    Quiet down hippies 
    That would be a great saying for a sticker!   =)
    @tarheelmatt will you be my business manager? We can strike it rich, or wealthy enough to buy a SRF gold brisket
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited July 2018
    I wonder if it can boil water better than the egg.
    I have to admit that I've personally never seen anyone actually attempt to boil water on an Egg, so I'm not convinced it can be done.  If RTIC can show a video demonstration of that, I bet their smokers will sell like hot cakes.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    SonVolt said:

I looked at a KJ at Costco and wasn't super impressed from the short time I spent with it. It had a lot of bells and whistles but it just didn't seem as well made. Lots of chips and edges that were crumbling, but it was a floor model so... 
    Interesting.  I have yet to see one of these in person.  I'll have to take a look at them the next time I go to Costco.  

I'm mostly interested as on occasion someone will ask me about the BGE, followed by the cost.  I think many people are hesitant to buy one just because they are so expensive, at least relative to gas grills which is what most people start off with.  Generally my advice is to tell people to attend an Eggfest, and if they like the food and the BGEs, to look at picking up one of the demo models.  But if there are less expensive alternatives that are nearly as good, I'd also like to be able to recommend those. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    I don't like the KJ's use of Plastic everywhere. To me it makes it look and feel cheap. I also feel the internal guts feel cheaply made. That's why I went with the BGE. Everything at least to me seems well built, I love the wood and green. Plus the KJ is no longer any cheaper than the egg in most places around me. For everything out the door I paid $1,200 including tax for my large egg. This included the nest, side tables, platesetter, grid gripper, ash tool, a bag of BGE Charcoal and a box of BGE cardboard charcoal lighter blocks. Everywhere I looked around here the KJ with all the above was $1,200 plus tax so in reality I saved around $100 buying the BGE. If the RTIC can deliver similar quality to the BGE and a nice warranty and only costing $600 for the whole package, that could really disrupt the market. But if its cheaply made and they give a 5 year warranty I dunno how much of an impact they will have.

@chuckytheegghead, just curious how is this exactly off topic?

• TEXASBGE2018
    Wes, did you forget to change your depends today? I think you meant to hit the Super Like Button =)

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Wes, did you forget to change your depends today? I think you meant to hit the Super Like Button =)
    It is VERY easy to accidentally hit the flag button instead of "like" when on mobile. 
    New Orleans LA
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited July 2018
    Dong is rightt, was a mistake. Meant to hit the dickhead button.
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited July 2018
    Dondgc said:
    It is VERY easy to accidentally hit the flag button instead of "like" when on mobile. 
    That's true. But considering he is troll flagging or hitting off-topic to every post I make now. I think its pretty obvious ol' Wes knows his way around a keyboard. Either that or he is swatting a lot of fly's at "the home" today. He clearly knows how to screw a nice guy like Ron around. =)

• TEXASBGE2018
    I like Wes. He's a straight shooter.