Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: - here's my post that SGH can't "shaver-bomb" - :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,894
So - Scottie - I realize you are a shaving purist - but, seeing all these ads about Harry's shavers and blades then what is your opinion?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    I am not Scotty but I have used Harry’s razors and shaving products for nearly 4 years. I am quiet satisfied.
  • RRP
    Options
    I am not Scotty but I have used Harry’s razors and shaving products for nearly 4 years. I am quiet satisfied.
    Thanks! I assumed their products are living up seeing their advertising budgets plus now going head-butting recently with Gillitte?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:

Finally we get to troll a shaving thread with cooking posts.  (sorry Ron)

You should be whipped for trolling a shaving post ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, I have never used the Harry’s products. With that said, I really can’t say how good or bad that they are compared to other disposable razors. 
    However, as a professional shaver who engages in diehard, hardcore face and body shaving, I can say with 100% confidence that no disposable razor, no matter how many blades that it has can compete with a DE single blade such as the Muhle R41 or the Merkur Future. This is not an opinion. It’s simply a matter of fact. With the Muhle R41 in a trained and skilled hand, you can honestly remove layers of skin if you so desire. The Muhle R41 is the top fuel dragster of DE razors. No disposable even comes close. It’s like comparing a bicycle to a Suzuki Hayabussa. As a matter of fact, there are very few DE razors that even come close to the wicked Muhle. Let alone a disposable. 
    With all that said, I rarely use a disposable. The only time that I do is when I have been offshore for months and don’t have access to DE blades. The difference between a disposable and a DE is like night and day. With the Muhle R41, I can literally remove the goose bumps from my scrotum if I’m not very careful. Try that with a disposable my friend. 
    Im willing to challenge anyone who uses a disposable to a shave off cotton ball test. I will bet any amount of money that I can get a closer shave in one pass with the big Muhle than they can get in 3 passes with the disposable of their choice. This includes on the face, scrotum and/or pubic area. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Now that is taking a thread to new levels of educational information.  Pay close attention all you close cut and scrotum shavers  ;)
    Edit: And away we go!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Ron, I can shave bomb even this one ;)

Now for the grand finale. Just look at this lather my friend. The pinnacle of lather:

That lather right there will make even a hippie want to shave.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    Options
    i feel like I've seen these pictures before, for some reason.  could it be 10 times,  previously?  who am I to say?
    Options
    i feel like I've seen these pictures before, for some reason.  could it be 10 times,  previously?  who am I to say?
    If you’ve seen one stiff peak, you’ve seen them all. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SGH
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    If we are trolling, I present you with the first ever Shave of Approval Award with those cooks!

Brother, that’s a good one!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Look what I one a little while ago. Just hope that it’s in as good of shape as the pic. 

Got it for 18 bucks. If it’s legit it’s worth considerably more. Surprisingly no one else bid on it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Ron, I gave up on Gillette years ago for 2 reasons. The first is the ridiculous pricing, which I guess is what Harrys is competing on. Look at the prices of the best DE blades (Feather, IMO) and see what you are paying per shave. With the DE you have the up front cost of the razor, but the blade cost is really low. The second is the idea that you need more blades, lubrication strips, swivel heads etc. A triumph of marketing over function. The blades were never as sharp as a good DE blade and never held an edge very well either. Better shave, longer lasting blade.

Lower price and better result. Just no fancy ads.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Ron, I have never used the Harry’s products. With that said, I really can’t say how good or bad that they are compared to other disposable razors. 
    However, as a professional shaver who engages in diehard, hardcore face and body shaving, I can say with 100% confidence that no disposable razor, no matter how many blades that it has can compete with a DE single blade such as the Muhle R41 or the Merkur Future. This is not an opinion. It’s simply a matter of fact. With the Muhle R41 in a trained and skilled hand, you can honestly remove layers of skin if you so desire. The Muhle R41 is the top fuel dragster of DE razors. No disposable even comes close. It’s like comparing a bicycle to a Suzuki Hayabussa. As a matter of fact, there are very few DE razors that even come close to the wicked Muhle. Let alone a disposable. 
    With all that said, I rarely use a disposable. The only time that I do is when I have been offshore for months and don’t have access to DE blades. The difference between a disposable and a DE is like night and day. With the Muhle R41, I can literally remove the goose bumps from my scrotum if I’m not very careful. Try that with a disposable my friend. 
    Im willing to challenge anyone who uses a disposable to a shave off cotton ball test. I will bet any amount of money that I can get a closer shave in one pass with the big Muhle than they can get in 3 passes with the disposable of their choice. This includes on the face, scrotum and/or pubic area. 
    I have no doubt that this is true: 

Regarding: 

"no disposable razor, no matter how many blades that it has can compete with a DE single blade such as the Muhle R41 or the Merkur Future. This is not an opinion. It’s simply a matter of fact."

I believe this is true, qualified for what is out on the market now. 

However, you open up the gates of the hypothetical when you say "no matter how many blades".  Presumably, this hypothetical means it is a free for all. Someone might invent a 20 blade disposable that creates matter from nothingness.

That said, I don't think it beyond the realm of possibility that a multi-blade disposable could be better. at the vary least, insofar as its use by an unsteady hand.  There is a lot to say about safety, my friend.

Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options

dad signed up for the plan. after several months he canceled because he was still using the first blade, and had 20 something in the drawer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    SGH said:
    I can literally remove the goose bumps from my scrotum if I’m not very careful. 
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Sleep, Buffalo, sleep!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    blasting said:

Finally we get to troll a shaving thread with cooking posts.  (sorry Ron)

2 things.... Is that an Uncle Buck sized pancake with bananas? I think we had those same plates growing up. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • EggbertGreenII
    EggbertGreenII Posts: 253
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Scrotum, huh? Say it taint so.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    SGH said:

Sleep, Buffalo, sleep!
    Yeah. I was thinking that quote would/should get some mileage. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    SGH said:

Sleep, Buffalo, sleep!
    Doesn't count unless its done by a Zoroastrian priest named Vilma.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:

2 things.... Is that an Uncle Buck sized pancake with bananas? I think we had those same plates growing up. 

Yes on the pankcake.  Made for the nephews last Christmas. They barely gave it a passing glance, lol.

Plates were the ones i grew up with (purchased in '73).  When mom got new ones i wanted them for nostalgia.  @Botch has them too.

Phoenix 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @SGH....all them shaving ingredients can be confusing..please provide a detailed step by step guide for those of us in the dark
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    What is this shaving thing you speak of?

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Am I the only one who feels like my best shaving days are the days when I don't shave - and I give myself and my face a day off?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Am I the only one who feels like my best shaving days are the days when I don't shave - and I give myself and my face a day off?
    I hear you. I'm still amazed that @SGH has to shave twice a day and do body shaving as well!!! 

Here's an idea when he retires he might be able to hire out to Gorilla brand glue instead of that guy that they use in their commercials! That way he might be able to get by without shaving for a few days!
  • blasting
    Options
    RRP said:

I'm still amazed that @SGH has to shave twice a day and do body shaving as well!!! 

That is a lot of shaving...

@SGH maybe skip the next John Deere and hire a dedicated personal groomer?

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    If we are trolling, I present you with the first ever Shave of Approval Award with those cooks!

This was very funny @WeberWho

My new award has taken up a place of honor in my garage.  Right between the pizza peels  and the french fry cutter.

Phoenix