Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant Pot recipes

Yno
Yno Posts: 529
As many have said, this forum costs members money! I have an Instant Pot arriving tomorrow, and need some pointers. Mushroom risotto and chili are at the top of my lists to try. What are some good recipes or recipe sites? I found a good looking mushroom risotto on 'Amy + Jacky' - anyone tried it? I am still researching chili recipes. And maybe baked beans. And maybe - well, I am looking forward to testing out lots of things.
XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.

Comments

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    edited July 2018
    Yes and it's PHENOMENAL !

For Christmas 2017, I did a 12# brisket in the LBGE, Asparagus in the Anova Sous Vide, and the mushroom risotto in the Instant Pot.  They all came out at the same time and was quite the feast. (And feat for me, I might add!) (sorry no pics - as it was Christmas after all and I was a tad busy...)

But my executive chef BIL had made a traditional risotto for Thanksgiving and my MIL was so impressed with him standing there all that time stirring and stirring... with the IP, you do some sauteeing and mixing early on, but then let it go do it's thing while you slice the beef...

Enjoy!  And by far, it makes the - best - hard boiled - eggs -ever.

Also give a search for Mississippi Pot Roast - that turned out great as well!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Yno
    Bookmarked 'Mississippi Pot Roast'!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Butter chicken is great.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Heck, about any 'simmer sauce' and some BLSL breasts with a 1/2 cup of stock/bouillon makes for a dandy meal - I've gotten some cheap Aldi sauces and pulled off a gourmet level dinner - the last was a fajita skillet sauce in a packet and I pulled the chicken - we made a bowl out of it with some rice, fresh corn and avacado - delish!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    Egg roll bowls. Beans - black or pinto. Key lime pie.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Yno
    Mongolian Beef looks great! I think I am going to like this new toy.
  • Yno
    We made chicken stock that is so much better than packaged. Used it to make wild mushroom risotto. It was every bit as good as the risotto I have made on the stove top but so much quicker and less work. We also made baked beans, and I haven't had any that good since my mother made them in an old fashioned bean pot when I was a kid. 

I surprised my wife with this purchase, but she is excited to experiment some more with it.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    I have been staring at these for a while. This only makes it worse! 
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • I'm on my phone and can't get the link.  Search "seafood chili".  I attached somebody's YouTube video in a chili thread. You can get the recipe there.  We like it a lot.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Matt86m said:
    Give this a look. This is the BGE of PC right now and $100 is a great price.

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1MP2PY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_26?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Matt86m
    Photo Egg said:
    Matt86m said:

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1MP2PY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_26?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the link. I really want the 8 qt. Have a 6 qy crock pot and its too small for some things.
    But that is a good price for the 6.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Photo Egg
    Matt86m said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Matt86m said:

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

Thanks for the link. I really want the 8 qt. Have a 6 qy crock pot and its too small for some things.
    I originally wanted the 8 as well. But the size for storage was my reality. Just a family of 2 so just could not justify as the 6 will fit 99% of my needs as well.
    But I understand. If I would have only used this logic when I purchased grills.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You mentioned Amy & Jacky. Try their pot roast. Wonderful!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Great for families on the go.. I’ve done chickens, pork shoulders, and ribs in mine so far.  Gift from MIL this past Christmas.

• Seafood Chili in a Pressure Cooker 

2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
    12 oz Crabmeat
    10 oz tuna
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz)
    1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
    1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
    1 small onion
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    2 tbsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

https://youtu.be/slCzgbko8mY
    Flint, Michigan
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Matt86m said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Matt86m said:

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

How large is your family?  My 8-quart is too large.  Just the three of us, and some things -- rice -- are just too unwieldy in the 8qt.  I just don't need a bushel of rice.  Great for stock and other things, but unless you have a pretty large family, 6qt is probably more appropriate.  

Also, with regard to recipes, don't forget the humble boiled egg.  You'll never cook them any other way again.  Great control, and the shells peel very easily.  Have fun.  It's a cool tool.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Matt86m said:

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

How large is your family?  My 8-quart is too large.  Just the three of us, and some things -- rice -- are just too unwieldy in the 8qt.  I just don't need a bushel of rice.  Great for stock and other things, but unless you have a pretty large family, 6qt is probably more appropriate.  

Also, with regard to recipes, don't forget the humble boiled egg.  You'll never cook them any other way again.  Great control, and the shells peel very easily.  Have fun.  It's a cool tool.

Just 2 of us in the house. But kids and grand kids are close. I'm basing the 8 qt on my current crock pot (6 qt). I can fit 7lbs of pork butt in it but no more. I like to do Kalua Pig - recipe from family in Oahu, and often have to do 2 cooks to get it all done.

I'm sure the 6 would work for the majority of the cooks but when I want to do more the 8 would be nice.

But you guys got me thinking,,,,,

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    How about that recipe?
  • Photo Egg
    Matt86m said:
    Matt86m said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Matt86m said:

Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt

Just 2 of us in the house. But kids and grand kids are close. I'm basing the 8 qt on my current crock pot (6 qt). I can fit 7lbs of pork butt in it but no more. I like to do Kalua Pig - recipe from family in Oahu, and often have to do 2 cooks to get it all done.

I'm sure the 6 would work for the majority of the cooks but when I want to do more the 8 would be nice.

But you guys got me thinking,,,,,
    How about, when the 6 goes on sale you can almost buy 2 of the 6 quart for the price of the 8. 
    Just messing around. You know your cooking needs better than anyone else.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg

Seafood Chili in a Pressure Cooker 

2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
    12 oz Crabmeat
    10 oz tuna
    1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz)
    1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
    1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
    1 small onion
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    2 tbsp. chili powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

https://youtu.be/slCzgbko8mY
    Have a hard time tossing in 2 cans of Tuna in with good shrimp and crab meat.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/instant-pot-butter-chicken/

Great recipe for butter chicken in the insta pot
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Matt86m
    GrillSgt said:
    How about that recipe?
    That for me?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • I love my 8 qt Instant Pot.  I made lobster risotto for Christmas this year and it was perfect.  Sauted some leeks and added risotto.  Deglazed with wine......added stock.......8 minutes and Boom!!!!! risotto!!
    Folded in lobster meat, parm and fresh herbs.  It was delicious.  
  • GrillSgt
    Matt86m said:
    GrillSgt said:
    How about that recipe?
    That for me?
    Heck yeah, Kahlua Pig. 
  • Matt86m
    GrillSgt said:
    Matt86m said:
    GrillSgt said:
    How about that recipe?
    That for me?
    Heck yeah, Kahlua Pig. 

3 ingredients:

Pork roast - shoulder or rump

1 tablespoon of Hawaiian Sea Salt (can use Kosher too) for every 2 lbs of pork (adjust to personal taste. I usually subtract 1/2 tablespoon no matter the weight of the roast per cousins recipe) 

1 tablespoon of Liquid Smoke for every 2 lbs of pork

I have added whole cloves of garlic too.

Crock pot on low for 8-12 hours depending on size. a 7lb usually takes me 8-10.

Pull the meat from the pot, Separate the fat, drain the juice. Pour juice into a fat separator and pour the good juices back on the meat to moisten.

Serve over rice with a spritz of hot sauce.

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GrillSgt
    Sounds great. Thanks 
  • Yno
    There are just two of us, but I decided to get the 8 quart pot. Same reason I bought the XL BGE. You can put something small in a large container, but you can't put something large in a small container. When I made the stock and the beans, I maxed the capacity on the 8 quart unit. I would rather make a large batch of something and have leftovers. Although I do know some people who won't eat leftovers at all. 
  • Matt86m
    Yno said:
    There are just two of us, but I decided to get the 8 quart pot. Same reason I bought the XL BGE. You can put something small in a large container, but you can't put something large in a small container. When I made the stock and the beans, I maxed the capacity on the 8 quart unit. I would rather make a large batch of something and have leftovers. Although I do know some people who won't eat leftovers at all. 

Same here. I bought the XL. Couple times a year I need the 8 qt for trout opener group or camping. Or big batch of chili or stew and Ill freeze 1/2.

IG -->  matt_86m