Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommend a good Afghan restaurant in Peoria?

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
Time for my annual pinpoint tour on my beemer motorcycle, goin' to Peoria this year, and anxious to try the local Afghan food spots, assuming they haven't been deported yet.  Any suggestions?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Deep dish or thin crust?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    If these exist, I am sure @RRP knows about them.  Not sure about the recommendation part...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Does Peoria have a sizeable Afghan community?  The 2 Afghan places I've eaten at in Houston were very good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    South Paws on Main.

A bit of a change from local tradition but has a very nutty, earthy vibe. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Peoria Illinois, or Peoria Az?

Peoria Il, is not a foodie highlight.  No Afghan food.  I would check out 2 Chez, Hofbrau, or Blue Duck.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    ^^^^This.  Peoria IL has some good places to eat, but you aren't going to find Afghan food.  Peoria IL isn't exactly a well diverse city.  I will be more than happy to offer some suggestions though if you are in fact coming to IL and not AZ.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    This is funny.  

Little Rock, AR

• Botch
    Options
    This is funny.  
    Thanks, it was supposed to be.  I was slaphappy last night, and amazed that two other threads on destination recommendations were buffalo'd (and I'm surprised this one is still here).  
    Shoulda used some smilies....   =)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    from peoria its just a short drive thru iowa/nebraska to colorado.  the afgan kabob in colorado is a hidden gem of a restaurant =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is funny.  
    Thanks, it was supposed to be.  I was slaphappy last night, and amazed that two other threads on destination recommendations were buffalo'd (and I'm surprised this one is still here).  
    Shoulda used some smilies....   =)
    Nah I got it when you first posted it.  You beat me to it.  

Little Rock, AR

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I think Jerry convinced Babu to open an Afghan restaurant. Or was it a Pakistani restaurant?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Not Peoria Il or Peoria AZ but Phoenix AZ at 24th Street and Indian School Road...Khyber Halal
    Best Middle Eastern food ive ever had.   Awesome awesome awesome place

• caliking
    Options
    Sucker, I am.

Here's one anyways. Not far from Peoria.

http://www.theafghanvillage.com/

Low-key place in Houston with great food. Buffet on Fridays beats the pants off most Indian buffets I've tried. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    South Paws on Main.

@Botch @Biggreenpharmacist In case y’all didnt decipher this one...

Afghans don’t eat with their left hand. 

I got a good chuckle about it last night. 

(And you definitely don’t want to see how they ‘tender’ize the goats before slaughtering)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    South Paws on Main.

(And you definitely don’t want to see how they ‘tender’ize the goats before slaughtering)
    I didn't know about the not eating with the left hand thing, but I definitely knew you were in on the joke.  

Little Rock, AR

• Botch
    Options
    I knew about the left-hand thing, but didn't catch the "South Paw" reference (I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed).  d'Oh!  :clap:

A boss of mine a few years ago worked in Afghanistan, and oversaw building a Headquarters building occupied by both Afghans and allied/US personnel.  Within a couple days of opening, the toilets began overflowing.  Plumbers soon found that all the drains were full of rocks; round, smooth rocks, all about the same size.  We had demonstrated to the Afghans how to use a urinal, how to flush it, how to use a toilet, and how to flush it, but did not show them what toilet paper was or how to use it!  They continued to use their smooth stones (with their left hands, of course).
    As with many military problems, More Training!  :lol:

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    South Paws on Main.

Right over my head. Even though I knew that. Nicely played. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Botch when I showed up at the joint base I was taking over I saw half a dozen brand new barracks that were unoccupied. 

fI asked the outgoing commander why the Afghans weren't using it. The response I got was, "we built those or them last year. Our guys on night patrols kept saying they saw them sleeping on the roofs. Turns out they refused to use the $hitters we built them with running water so they were using the inside quarters as a massive toilet and just....sleeping on the outside. So now they're a$$es are sleeping on the ground."

Some people's kids.

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Having lived in and around Peoria, IL for 52 years now I am still happy to defend the city even though the OP meant it to be a joke.

While Peoria - the city has been the butt of jokes for years it as well as Peoria County have been a great area in which to live and raise a family.

Yes - there have been some stupid decisions by the Peoria elected officials, but honestly those stupid decisions pale to those elected idiots in Springfield (our den of idiots) and the power they have been given by the SUPER stupid idiots elected year after year by the blue voters in Chicago.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    Options
    South Paws on Main.

I don’t recall how exactly I found this out (or at least won’t admit it),  but apparently folks north of Cartagena in Colombia like to “tenderize” donkeys in a very similar manner. 

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @caliking sometimes Infrared monoculars are not your friend. (Shutters). 

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    Options
    @caliking sometimes Infrared monoculars are not your friend. (Shutters). 
    That is way better than what I was imagining. 

“Hey Adam! You bored tonight? Come with me... let me show you why the goat curry tastes so good... “

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    @Botch I always thought you were nice.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS