Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Testing, testing 1, 2, 3

Just checking the water to see if everything is working for me. N00b here on the Egghead forum. Wanted to see if posting pics was working. Had my XL for a few years now and absolutely love it. I started reading here about a week ago and I can say you people are going to cost me some $$$ and I'll have some explaining to do to the wife. A Mini is going to look damn good sitting next to this one. 

I can see it now,,,,,

Her: Another bbq?
Me: Not just a bbq, its a Mini Max hon
Her: you have 3 in the backyard!
Me: but this is only the 2nd BGE

Thanks for reading. I got some catching up to do and want to get involved here. I'll try to add as well as learn.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Is that a rib sandwich on Kings Hawaiian???

I like you.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Welcome! Nice first post. 
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Matt86m said:

I like you.
    Yes! I call it the MattRib!

Giddy up!
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Welcome!

Great pics. Lots of good people here!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I'd crush that sammy. Looks fantastic! Welcome.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2018
    "Honey, I need just a few more things to make perfect food for you. Just a few more things."

"What few more things?"

"Well, honey, do you know that I love you?"

"What few more things?"

"Oh, a Thermapen, a Smoke, a Kickash Basket, an adjustable lamp, a Smokeware cap, a genuine Green Egg Pizza Stone and idustrial-quality cooking utensils. Oh, and I need to upgrade from Royal Oak to Rockwood."

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • That looks awesome. Where are you located? I know of a MiniMax that is likely going to hit the market soon in Houston. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Thanks for the welcome all! I am in Cali (don't hold it against me!)

Been reading up on the Rockwood - gonna have to try it. Not a big fan of the RO red bag from Home Depot - seems like it burns up faster, makes more ash and I don't get the flavor out of it like I have with BGE charcoal. I have been on a FOGO kick and really like that - spendy though!.

Got to call my local ACE hardware and see if they have the RW yet. 

Accessories: Got a thermapen, dual probe temp guage and bbq light but there are a lot of others that I have my eye on. KAB is one of them, pizza stone and possibly a stainless cap (I dropped my orig top, bought a new one. When that goes it will be stainless or CI.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Welcome. Those are some great looking eats. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Welcome aboard.  Glad you opted in.  great cooks right there.  Above all, have fun.
    And the not so subtle deal with your wallet is real.  But you have the right approach- couch versus reward, no contest. =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

• You will do well here. Even behind enemy lines. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Matt86m said:

I like you.

I would love some details...do you foil the ribs so you can pull the bones?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Matt86m
    dmchicago said:
    Matt86m said:

I like you.

I would love some details...do you foil the ribs so you can pull the bones?

Pretty much the 3, 2, 1 method. I was able to poke the bones out. Give them a twist and they pull right out. I can't take credit for it, I saw it on IG and had to try it.

One thing I learned is use baby backs not St Louis. In the side pic you can see the white cartilage/bones. Those don't pull out as easy. Next time I'll use BB so there is just the bone to pull.

I cut & buttered the Kings Hawaiian rolls and put them on the Egg to toast slightly. Added some caramelized onions and called it dinner.

IG -->  matt_86m
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Food looks great.

welcome to the forum 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    @Matt86m

Thanks. I'm not a 3-2-1 guy but for that sandwich, I could adapt!

Beautiful.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Welcome - and great looking sandwich
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Good looking cooks. Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing more of them. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Nice and Welcome, what part of Ca ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    A sammich that covers FOUR buns, love it!  Welcome!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    GREAT looking stuff -- Doesn't look like newbie stuff to me!  Great job!
  • Matt86m
    lkapigian said:
    Orange County, Fountain Valley

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Matt86m
    dmchicago said:
    @Matt86m

Beautiful.
    I like more bite rather than fall off the bone so I am tweaking the 3, 2, 1. Going to cut it down to 3, 1.5, .5  and see how that does. My XL holds pretty well 200-225. Ill kick it up for the last 1/2 hour to get the sauce to stick.

Thank you (and everyone) for the good words.

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Looking good! I recommend a Medium as the perfect second egg.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    Matt86m said:
    dmchicago said:
    @Matt86m

Beautiful.
    I like more bite rather than fall off the bone so I am tweaking the 3, 2, 1. Going to cut it down to 3, 1.5, .5  and see how that does. My XL holds pretty well 200-225. Ill kick it up for the last 1/2 hour to get the sauce to stick.

What type of cut? Your new numbers look good for St. Louis Style/Spares. Just start checking the last half hour or so with a toothpick 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Matt86m
    WeberWho said:
    Matt86m said:
    dmchicago said:
    @Matt86m

Beautiful.

What type of cut? Your new numbers look good for St. Louis Style/Spares. Just start checking the last half hour or so with a toothpick 

Cut of? If you mean ribs in the pic, they were St Louis. 

Please tell me about the toothpick, what am I looking for?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Great first post and will be stealing your sandwich, welcome!
  • WeberWho
    Matt86m said:
    WeberWho said:
    Matt86m said:
    dmchicago said:
    @Matt86m

Beautiful.

Cut of? If you mean ribs in the pic, they were St Louis. 

Please tell me about the toothpick, what am I looking for?
    One way is to stick a toothpick in the meat and feel for resistance. The second way is to do the bend test. (Which works good at home but I don't recommend it for competition as it has potential to mess up your appearance of the ribs)

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Welcome!!  Great looking cook 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited July 2018
    Matt86m said:
    lkapigian said:
    Orange County, Fountain Valley
    Welcome, neighbor!  I live in Orange hills, born and raised here in OC.  With not so great BBQ here we just have to make our own.